Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2018 10:03:31 PM EDT
For those who have written books with the primary intention of making money, what are your real world costs? Google has numbers all across the board, so I’d prefer to hear it from the horse’s mouth. What was your break even point in terms of copies sold? What were your profit margins?  Editor, publisher, royalties, etc.? Any and all detail would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You need cover art, decent cover art ranges from $200-$1000. You need ISBN's, those are about 200 dollars a piece unless you buy them in a pack. You also need an editor, those range in price from $200-$10,000. Most books never make back the money invested into them by a large margin, and most fiction books are only read on average a total of 15000 times, and that is if you are very lucky.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Not really an answer to the question but maybe this helps.

I wrote several novels, which I advertised by posting in serial form on this very site.  Later I sold them via Amazon Kindle.  Completely digital.  No paper.

No editor (which does distract the reader, because there will be grammar errors and misused words).  No professional cover art.  So basically my only investment was my time.  The time investment was significant.

Amazon sends me a check every month.  Usually around $20.  Sometimes its less, sometimes its more.  Return on investment in terms of time invested:  I would have made more money working a minimum wage job.  Not a great money maker, but I also did not invest much money in marketing\editors etc.
 I also wasn't doing it necessarily for the money.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

If you're just getting started, DO NOT sink a bunch of money into your book.  It's a huge mistake and one too many people make.

Hire a local English major at a local college to edit it, get some friends either IRL or online to proofread, use a read-aloud app on your phone to listen to it and edit it for word usage and structure.

Buy the rights to a stock illustration on iStock or someplace similar for $12 or so, then get someone who's good at Photoshop to make a cover out of it, someone who you know who'll work free or someone on fivver who'll do it cheap.

Then put it up on Amazon and see how it does.  If it gets some readers, if you make a little money, invest it in a better cover or professional editing but not until you make money off of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#4]
My covers generally are in the $350 range. First round of edits is generally between $350 and $500. Proof reading is generally 200 ish. I hire a VA for $275 a month and she shares her time with several of us authors.  I format my books with a program called Vellum about $350 now? I write with Office 365 which is about $99 a year.

I figure each book comes in between $850-1000 each my costs, if you don't take into consideration the time writing it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I came to this section of arfcom because I kind of had similar questions as the op. I find it interesting how when I'm at the news stand in the market a novel that probably took years to write cost $3.99 and they don't even have any advertising in it, then a monthly magazine that is maybe 2/3 advertising that they get paid for and most of the articles are advertising also and that cost $10~. I wondered if writers make any money.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top