Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2020 9:34:01 PM EDT
Just wandered into this forum and didnt see anything on audible which is unfortunately the way i have to enjoy books during my commute

What recommendations for audible books do you have?

For free audible books my favorites have been:

1 black rednecks and white liberals

2 caffeine

3 history of bourbon

Credit audible books my favorites have been

1 never split the difference

2 national parks americas best idea

3 salt fat acid heat
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Never Split the Difference is a fantastic book and the Audible version was great.

I suprizingly enjoyed Talking to Strangers by Malcom Gladwell. I was expecting a lot of woke claptrap but it was a very academic and even look at how people's perceptions and expectations affect their interactions with others.  I could have done without the Erica Bydu accompaniment but that was easy to ignore.

Peterson's 12 Rules for Life is amazing as an audio book.

Indistractable by Nir Eyal is an insightful treatise on avoiding busy work and digital distractions and getting shit done.

I just started Love Thy Neighbor, a book about the people of the '90s Yugoslav/Balkans war, and am enjoying the presentation and finding it informative.  I previously started My War Gone By, I Miss it So about the same topic but find that book to be more of the journalist's autobiography, and not an interesting one at that; I will likely return it.

(Oh, I also listend to White Fragility and then promptly returned it for credit.  That bitch is cray.)

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm. I will have to look up indistracable
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The Road to Wigan Pier, The Rape of Nanking, and Sowell's Marxism are also available for free. Added all those to my library the other day. Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning (Jordan Peterson recommendation) and The Road to Serfdom are also on my list. I've started those two along with Marxism, but haven't gotten very far in any of them. Narrations are dull and too easy to mentally drift away while working. I listen to most of my audio books at work since I'm usually alone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Skunkworks was good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Have to add

last stand of the tin can sailor

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have to add

View Quote

This was a FANTASTIC book.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have to add

Listening to it now. About 20% complete. The book is good but the narration
sounds a little non-human at times. Maybe just me.

Half way through and the Audible book is incredible.
I just purchased Neptune's Inferno by the same author.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Grossman’s On Combat and On Killing, various Heinlein, lots of gulag themed books lately but there’s only so much a guy can take.

Sometimes I just want a fun book. My favorite there is Tufo’s Zombie Fallout series. Sean Runnette narrates the hell out of the books. OCD germaphobe father leads his family away from various dangers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked Loserthink by Scott Adams (Dilbert author).
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Audible brings a different dimension to books - the narrator is absolutely key.

NEVER EVER, EVER buy "A Bridge Too Far" by Cornelius Ryan.  Fantastic book that the narrator ruined.  He literally tries to never change his tone and I'm pretty sure he's set a record for the longest time reading without taking a breathe.  Dude absolutely destroyed a fabulous book...

HIGHLY RECOMMEND:

The Jack Carr series.  Narrator absolutely makes the experience.  He does slight accents for the different people, has an excellent voice for the genre as well.  Not to mention the books are outstanding and would likely appeal to someone who frequents this site.  Can't recommend this series enough.  The Terminal List, Savage Son, True Believer, The Devil's Hand

The Martian by Andy Weir read by Wil Wheaton was again a fantastic book made better by truly superb narration.

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe narrated by Dennis Quaid is in the same category as the two above.  The story is great - which really centers a lot on Yeager - and the narration really compliments the book.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#11]
As an aside, I use a program called OpenAudible from Github. It will log in to your Audible account, download the files you've purchased, strip the encryption and convert to MP3. I do this with all my Audible purchases, since I paid for them and I want them on my device or on my computer to listen whenever I want.

It may be a violation of Audible's terms. I don't care. I'm not pirating or distributing them. I have a philosophical aversion to proprietary formats that could disappear at the manufacturer's whims. So I break them open whenever possible.

</rant>
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
MHI series is awesome.   Great narrator
Jocko's books.  
The grey man series.  Great narrator
Dracula with tim curry narrating
Devil's Guard (nazis in the french foreign legion beating commie ass in Vietnam durning the 50s weird dichotomy)

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#13]
James Bond series isnt too bad either
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Any other good suggestions ??
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#15]
if you liked the martian he has another book out called the hail mary project.
only half way through but very good. not wil wheton as the narrator though, but he does a good job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Non-fiction:
The Billion Dollar Spy
Operation Snow
The Taking of K-129

Fiction:
The Ember Wars series
Destroyermen
Columbus Day (depressing right up until it suddenly turns hilarious and serious at the same time)
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
if you liked the martian he has another book out called the hail mary project.
only half way through but very good. not wil wheton as the narrator though, but he does a good job.
View Quote

I've downloaded the Hail Mary Project, haven't started it. Worth starting?

Currently listening to Ready Player 2 by myself and One Year After with my wife.

I've listened to a couple narrated by Wil Wheton, he does a fantastic job.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#18]
finally got around to listening to last stand of the tin can sailor. Its amazing. If you have any interest in WWI or Naval warfare it may be the greatest story you never heard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#19]
With the credit to burn and never having 1,000 hours to sit and read, I started Atlas Shrugged.  You have to pay attention to it; I assume the text has a lot of sections / scene changes that don't translate well into audio but once you get the hang of it you still have to pay attention because it is a dense book.  It is positively scary how true and familiar a 64 year old book could be as it really mirrors the world we live in.  I have the 48 hour unabridged version read by Scott Brick and though only 10 or so hours into it I highly recommended it.

There is a version of A Brave New World which is included with an Audible Plus membership that was a good listen.  I see the comparisons to modern life but still think we're more 1984 than ABNW.

Peterson's latest book, 12 More Rules . . . , was a good listen.  The tone and presentation were different from the first book, but still a very informative and enjoyable read.  Er, listen.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#20]
My two favorite Audible books have been:

Fighting the Flying Circus by Eddie Rickenbacker - there are a couple different versions available, look for the one narrated by John Pruden.  He does such a great job with the book.  His voice has a quality that made it seem like it was  Rickenbacker himself sitting there telling the story.  John is also a gun guy, and used to shoot 3-Gun at my local club match a few years ago.

And A Bottle of Rum by Wayne Curtis - This is a fun book.  It's about the history of rum, and how that intertwines with the history of the United States.  It's light-hearted and entertaining.  I've given it more than one listen.

An honorable mention goes to Hunting the Jackal by Billy Waugh - this is Billy's story of his experiences as a Special Forces soldier in Vietnam, and later working for the CIA in Khartoum on the hunt for Carlos the Jackal, and then his experiences in Afghanistan in the early part of our involvement there (when he was in his early 70s).

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Currently listening to Ready Player 2 by myself and One Year After with my wife.

View Quote

Yes, only about half way through it. on hold right now as it is a long distance drive listen to.
he has a pretty good formula and sticks to it here, explaining enough of the science to give you something to look up later, but not so much as to make it a boring read as it were.

Buckeye67- I love that book fighting the flying circus. it is crazy truth being stranger than fiction.
There is another book by a contemporary of his, not as good but has some interesting stories. I can't find it and don't remember the name, it has been several years sorry.
he has to land his plane at night after either running out of fuel or being hit and not able to make it back to base.
he is suddenly surrounded and he can hear them speaking german. he is about to light his plane on fire when he hears a british voice asking him why he landed he plane there.
turns out he was in a prisoner of war camp filled with germans. he had made it back over his lines but didn't know it.

Armada is good too, if you like ready player 1 and 2. Same author. little predictable, but still good overall. also narrated by wil.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, only about half way through it. on hold right now as it is a long distance drive listen to.
he has a pretty good formula and sticks to it here, explaining enough of the science to give you something to look up later, but not so much as to make it a boring read as it were.

Buckeye67- I love that book fighting the flying circus. it is crazy truth being stranger than fiction.
There is another book by a contemporary of his, not as good but has some interesting stories. I can't find it and don't remember the name, it has been several years sorry.
he has to land his plane at night after either running out of fuel or being hit and not able to make it back to base.
he is suddenly surrounded and he can hear them speaking german. he is about to light his plane on fire when he hears a british voice asking him why he landed he plane there.
turns out he was in a prisoner of war camp filled with germans. he had made it back over his lines but didn't know it.

Armada is good too, if you like ready player 1 and 2. Same author. little predictable, but still good overall. also narrated by wil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I listened to PHM a month or two ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very similar style to The Martian, but I'm good with that.

Will give Armada a shot.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Listening to Rise and Fall of The Third Reich. Very detailed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Listening to Rise and Fall of The Third Reich. Very detailed.
View Quote

Just picked up a copy myself
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Road to Wigan Pier, The Rape of Nanking, and Sowell's Marxism are also available for free. Added all those to my library the other day. Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning (Jordan Peterson recommendation) and The Road to Serfdom are also on my list. I've started those two along with Marxism, but haven't gotten very far in any of them. Narrations are dull and too easy to mentally drift away while working. I listen to most of my audio books at work since I'm usually alone.
View Quote

Thanks for the info on The Rape of Nanking. I have a hard copy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#26]
All the Jack Carr books.  I think he's on 5 now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Matt helm series is good
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top