Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2018 7:36:39 PM EDT
So I have a 1yr old.  She has seen Game of Thrones and The Sopranos start to finish , not to mention the random flick not meant for children here and there.

My girl is a nightowl, since 10wks she normally sleeps from 9:00pm to 10am on weekends or 7am on weekdays.  I'm hoping eventually she starts going to be sooner, but she doesn't nap much and is too energetic.

At what age do children start to really understand TV and should only stick to Paw Patrol and Moana etc.?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Well you read to babies in the womb, so I would say around the time the seed was planted?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well you read to babies in the womb, so I would say around the time the seed was planted?
View Quote
Welp, at least she knows who I named her after.

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
When they talk and mimic IMO. Me and my son watched all the sopranos when he was first born.

Now I’m more mindful since he’s 3. I was cautious when he was 1.5. No violent video games in front of him anymore.

And people here gave me shit when I saw the BS that is in some children’s books and tossed them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When they talk and mimic IMO. Me and my son watched all the sopranos when he was first born.

Now I'm more mindful since he's 3. I was cautious when he was 1.5. No violent video games in front of him anymore.

And people here gave me shit when I saw the BS that is in some children's books and tossed them.
View Quote
I must have missed that thread.  I'll start saving certain shit until after she goes to bed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I must have missed that thread.  I'll start saving certain shit until after she goes to bed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I'm more mindful since he's 3. I was cautious when he was 1.5. No violent video games in front of him anymore.

And people here gave me shit when I saw the BS that is in some children's books and tossed them.
I was playing rainbow six when my son finished his nap and came out and watched.

What are you shooting daddy? Targets?

Me:yup

Him: what kind of targets?

Me:
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
This is relevant to me
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Birth. They u understand more than you think and whatever they see often becomes normal for them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Deadpool at the time was the only movie my kids wanted to see that I wouldn't allow. They were 8 and 6. I'm sure they watched it at a friend house or something in the last 2 years. I just didn't want a superhero having sex and cursing because other adult stuff they have almost no interest in, got, soa, etc. Hell, I used try and get them to watch got all the time.

The real problem is the gamer YouTube assholes, (the real problem is not parenting and instilling values but that's another thread) but from my experience almost all of the adult and or sex type jokes go over my kids head for the most part, I guess until they get to school and talk about each other's moms tits like we used to.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
No broadcast material ever. Select DVDs of your choosing (Classic Disney, Mr. Rogers, educational material).
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Around the time they open their eyes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Birth. They u understand more than you think and whatever they see often becomes normal for them.
Quoted:
I dunno about that
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
It is well before they start talking.  I'd start at 18 months or so.  Can't even watch the news around kids, some catholic priest molesting someone or a murder and all.  Not to mention terrorism.  TV sucks when you have kids.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I honestly never really bothered shielding my kids from anything I was doing or watching, short of horror movies and such. In a lot of ways it's an opportunity to teach, I can disapprove of things, explain them, etc.

Action and nudity doesn't seem to have done them any harm, they didn't even pick up any bad language really, I've only had to say something when one of them tried out a new word a couple times.

Mostly if stuff is too adult for them they lose interest and go do something else IME.

The only time I remember really regretting it was Logan, that one bothered my youngest and she watched it anyway because she loves superhero and comic book stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I dunno about that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
Then parent how you want to....let us know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Where else they gonna learn about life?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Serious reply...

We never turned a blind eye to anything.  We took care of our kids from day one consistently in regards to issues like this.  I was told by lots of people, through work and other places like church, that we didn't have to do what we did.  That we were careful enough and that all that stuff didn't matter sometimes.

Knock on wood, my kids are 20 and 18, and they are terrific and responsible.  In that same time, some of those very people who told me I might be over careful, turned out some shit hooks.  Not all them but a few of them did.

I don't know the reasons.  But I will take the way we raised our kids.  They are well adjust, responsible, driven, and smart.

I can't say for certainty Game of Thrones will make a difference in your 3 month olds life, I personally did not chance things like that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The prevalence of Youtube has made it 1000 times harder to prevent kids from seeing things. I remember the first time I saw an M rated video game, until then I had never even seen one in a video. I was reading at a end of high school/college level by the beginning of grade school so my parents didn't worry about m rated movies as much. When your 12 year old has read about and seen pictures of the holocaust, they tend to be a little more emotionally mature about things. Should a 12 year old watch Heat? Probably not but it was an awesome movie to me then.

Now I see 9 year olds with iphones saying fuck to their parents and I wonder what is wrong with people. I'm still under 21 too and even I think things are going to hell.

Edit: Don't be a helicopter parent, I was never told to stay out of the alcohol, don't stay up too late, etc. When you tell a kid not to do something, they'll only want to do it more. Granted ass whoopings were implied if I did fuck up so there is that
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I watch hunting shows with my 4 year old but I watched the Deadpool in front of my 6 week old.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no screen time below the age of 2. ASHA is conducting studies that correlate speech delay in children that have excessive amounts of screen time (keeps me in business). So, now you know. You be the judge.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no screen time below the age of 2. ASHA is conducting studies that correlate speech delay in children that have excessive amounts of screen time (keeps me in business). So, now you know. You be the judge.
View Quote
Interesting, thank you
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I honestly never really bothered shielding my kids from anything I was doing or watching, short of horror movies and such. In a lot of ways it's an opportunity to teach, I can disapprove of things, explain them, etc.

Action and nudity doesn't seem to have done them any harm, they didn't even pick up any bad language really, I've only had to say something when one of them tried out a new word a couple times.

Mostly if stuff is too adult for them they lose interest and go do something else IME.

The only time I remember really regretting it was Logan, that one bothered my youngest and she watched it anyway because she loves superhero and comic book stuff.
View Quote
My 1yo only really pays attention to song/music on the teevee.  The rest I think she just likes vivid colors and shit.
Quoted:
Then parent how you want to....let us know how that works out for you.
View Quote
Um.... ok.  The first kid is just a practice run anyway
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I dunno about that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I do, and they're right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Elaborate?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I dunno about that
View Quote
I thought you asked GD's opinion of when to start policing what your children see on TV? If you don't want our opinion.. don't ask?

Why give your kid any "screen time" at all at such a young age, regardless of what the content is? It's sad that everyone is so into their phones, tablets and TVs that we can't spend meaningful time with our children and save the Netflix binge for after they go to bed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My 1yo only really pays attention to song/music on the teevee.  The rest I think she just likes vivid colors and shit.
Um.... ok.  The first kid is just a practice run anyway
View Quote
Meh...my choice of emoticons sucked.  I was just being a bit dry and sarcastic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Elaborate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Elaborate?
You don't think kids are stimulated by lights and sounds at a young age? Mine sure were. They also fed off of the energy of those around them.  TV is an input, too.

I think you'd be surprised at how early they start picking up on things.  As a father of a 5 and 7 year old, I can attest that it's earlier than you think.  Do they understand in-depth subject matter at 12 months?  I doubt it, but I wouldn't want to take the chance of on-screen violence and rape scenes.  GoT gets pretty damn brutal.  I wouldn't take the chance.

Ultimately, it's your kid.  Do what you're going to do. You asked the question, and as a father of 2, I answered in the same manner as many. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I watch hunting shows with my 4 year old but I watched the Deadpool in front of my 6 week old.
View Quote
My 5 year old loves meat eater with Steve Rinella (sp?)
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Day 1
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
If what you are saying is true; you're literally the worst kind of parent.  
I'm not joking.

You should always moderate what your kids and teen watch.
You sure as shit shouldn't let them watch violent movies or play violent video games designed for adults.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I think a better question might be "at what age do you stop  policing what your children see on TV?"
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I thought you asked GD's opinion of when to start policing what your children see on TV? If you don't want our opinion.. don't ask?

Why give your kid any "screen time" at all at such a young age, regardless of what the content is? It's sad that everyone is so into their phones, tablets and TVs that we can't spend meaningful time with our children and save the Netflix binge for after they go to bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno about that

Idk about you but my kids drooled, shit and ate for the first 6 months or so....not much to do but watch TV when you're hanging out with them...

At that time I found the shield and SOA....so sue me....
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not joking.

You sure as shit shouldn't let them watch violent movies or play violent video games designed for adults.
View Quote
. So letting a 3mo watch GoT while she lays between my wife and I makes me a bad parent?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not joking.

View Quote
Man some of you guys are real uptight....I think the first time I saw full metal jacket I was about 10 years old with my dad. I turned out pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You don't think kids are stimulated by lights and sounds at a young age? Mine sure were. They also fed off of the energy of those around them.  TV is an input, too.

I think you'd be surprised at how early they start picking up on things.  As a father of a 5 and 7 year old, I can attest that it's earlier than you think.  Do they understand in-depth subject matter at 12 months?  I doubt it, but I wouldn't want to take the chance of on-screen violence and rape scenes.  GoT gets pretty damn brutal.  I wouldn't take the chance.

Ultimately, it's your kid.  Do what you're going to do. You asked the question, and as a father of 2, I answered in the same manner as many. YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Elaborate?

Kids like a change in contrast and movement.  Young infants could stare at a ceiling fan for hours.  My OP was more about when they start to remember what they see/hear.  What is your oldest memory?  I doubt it is when you were a newborn.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#35]
My original response was pretty flippant.

We really started monitoring what the kids were watching about the time they stated talking between 18-24 months.

They watched age appropriate stuff until 12-13 years old and now watch more adult content. The are 12 and 16 now and still haven’t watched the Sopranos or GOT but both have watched Band of Brothers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
. So letting a 3mo watch GoT while she lays between my wife and I makes me a bad parent?
View Quote
The worst kind OP, watch yourself or CPS might have to get involved.....

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Well the son and I where watching something on HBO or Showtime. It was completely appropriate for his age. I thought is was on a local channel and it ended at 7pm. I said I have to go to the bathroom when it was over. Stat put and I'll read you a story.

I come back to my wife rushing to turn off the TV. Seem G string divas was on and they had all ready stripped down.
My son was standing on the bed dancing along.

20 years and I still catch shit here and there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#38]
6 weeks in vitro
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not joking.

View Quote
If this is aimed at me, moderate sure, there are limits, but I've seen a lot of sheltered kids enter adulthood and one of two things tends to happen, they either avoid anything challenging or worldly their entire lives, or they encounter it on their own without any guidance. Neither of those outcomes is optimal either.

My daughters are 99th percentile students, black belts, polite and conscientious. Nobody who knows them would ever say I'm doing it wrong.

But there is no right way for every kid, you do you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Kids like a change in contrast and movement.  Young infants could stare at a ceiling fan for hours.  My OP was more about when they start to remember what they see/hear.  What is your oldest memory?  I doubt it is when you were a newborn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Elaborate?

In all honesty I became conscious (of both my kids) seeing/hearing shit they shouldn't somewhere around 1½ & 2 years old. That's when they truly start to retain and can mimic/repeat. Honestly though, most of it is what they're taught not what they see or hear on TV.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No broadcast material ever. Select DVDs of your choosing (Classic Disney, Mr. Rogers, educational material).
View Quote
This.  You have no idea how pervasive the underlying themes are until they start coming up with back talk and super girl vs boys bull shit.  And it's in every aspect of culture today. Protect you kids BC family is the only one that will set them on the right path.

I'd suggest a HUGE external drive with vids.  It's what we do.  Wife and I pre-screen almost all movies etc before they see it.  It's work to be a parent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In all honesty I became conscious (of both my kids) seeing/hearing shit they shouldn't somewhere around 1 & 2 years old. That's when they truly start to retain and can mimic/repeat. Honestly though, most of it is what they're taught not what they see or hear on TV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Elaborate?

In all honesty I became conscious (of both my kids) seeing/hearing shit they shouldn't somewhere around 1 & 2 years old. That's when they truly start to retain and can mimic/repeat. Honestly though, most of it is what they're taught not what they see or hear on TV.
Im thinking starting real soon to limit the teevee to kids stuff or harmless adult shows like HGTV or cooking shows that my wife and I watch.  Better be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now I’m more mindful since he’s 3. I was cautious when he was 1.5. No violent video games in front of him anymore.

And people here gave me shit when I saw the BS that is in some children’s books and tossed them.
View Quote
A few nights ago, my five-year-old walked in while you and I (I think) were playing PUBG. I told her to go do something else because I was shooting people in the face. She proceeded to counsel me not to shoot the members of my squad in the face, earnestly.

Different parenting styles :)
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This.  You have no idea how pervasive the underlying themes are until they start coming up with back talk and super girl vs boys bull shit.  And it's in every aspect of culture today. Protect you kids BC family is the only one that will set them on the right path.

I'd suggest a HUGE external drive with vids.  It's what we do.  Wife and I pre-screen almost all movies etc before they see it.  It's work to be a parent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My OP wasn't about content, but at which the brain starts to create memories and retain information.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Her brain is already capable of processing violence. Time to stop with violent tv, movies, games and such in front of her. It is really inconvenient I know as I have a 2yo little boy and it’s hard to squeeze in a good show or movie.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Im thinking starting real soon to limit the teevee to kids stuff or harmless adult shows like HGTV or cooking shows that my wife and I watch.  Better be safe than sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Elaborate?

I may have missed it, how old is yours?

Just an FYI my oldest is now 5 (first year of kindergarten) and gets awarded at school for his good behavior. Also I grew up extremely sheltered and broke that cycle myself, let's say it was tough growing up but I had one hell of a time
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If her first word is "cunt" and she shanks other children, ill agree with that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Just an FYI my oldest is now 5 (first year of kindergarten) and gets awarded at school for his good behavior. Also I grew up extremely sheltered and broke that cycle myself, let's say it was tough growing up but I had one hell of a time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno about that
I do, and they're right.
Elaborate?

She is 1.  See avatar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top