Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2019 12:55:50 PM EDT
It’s from a stupid training injury, a concussion in 1996 in SOI.  I’m already 50% (max for this, migraines) and it just keeps getting worse.  MRIs, CT scans, etc; all don’t show anything.  My spine care clinic is doing cervical epidurals to see if they can isolate the cause, so far no dice,

I’ve been shot in the right arm by a .45ACP 230gr HP and I don’t complain about that permanently disabled arm nor do I take meds for it.  However, this headache thing is greatly affecting my quality of life.

I’ve spent 3.5 days this week in a darkened room, in fucking pain.  I do have excellent federal employee healthy insurance and generous sick/vacation time as a federal employee.  I’ve gone down the neurologist and chiropractor route, to no avail.  Right now, I can sometimes get a slight respite with 500mg acetaminophen, 800mg of ibuprofen, and a teaspoon of kratom (never found kratom additive, I can go without it for weeks unless I’m in pain).  I’m in otherwise pretty good health, good BP, etc.

So, looking for suggestions, and I have a couple of questions. With Trump’s new voucher system for veterans, is there a way to use those at a top notch hospital like say, Johns Hopkins?  Also, is there any way to get further VA compensation (fuck it, I’m burning up copays and leave for this)?

@NavyDoc1
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a little hemp oil?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try a little hemp oil?
View Quote
Yeah, it didn’t do shit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are your headaches, and what else have you tried? The neck injections,  you talking epidurals or botox?

Manipulation?
Accupuncture?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you feel like you have a weird taste in your mouth at times ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Aunt did Botox for her’s, said it was a God send.  Friends wife does acupuncture and says it helps.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You say migraine and neurologist.  You mention ibuprofen and tylenol but didn't mention sumatriptan or any actual migrain medications?
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
So I start at:
Who told you its a “migraine”, all severe headaches aren't migraines.  
There are several types of headaches with different appropriate therapies.

If it is a migraine, it sounds like you should be on prophylaxis, it sounds like you need know and avoid your triggers.

Have you done a headache diary?  Do one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I start at:
Who told you its a “migraine”, all severe headaches aren't migraines.  
There are several types of headaches with different appropriate therapies.

If it is a migraine, it sounds like you should be on prophylaxis, it sounds like you need know and avoid your triggers.

Have you done a headache diary?  Do one.
View Quote
All great advice. Many people find amazing improvement ( long term) on anti seizure medicine such as topamax. Neurologist should be laying out multiple treatment options for you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Implanted brain stimulator
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I suffer migraines as well, but not to the extent you do. I am on Sumatriptan for mine. My wife gets severe migraines and she now gets injections. We have Tricare Retiree, and until I was retired Tricare denied it to her. She used to take Maxalt for her migraines, and it would help most times. I just started getting headaches after I not steroid injections for a slipped disc in my neck. I had never had a migraine in my life until that. The pain doctor that did it, also did the injections in my back, which didn't do crap for me, nor did the L4-S1 fusion I got. Heck, I'm worst off now than I was before surgery. Anyways, the doc told me the meds they injected in my neck leaked from my spine and into the base of my brain. I was told the migraines would go away over time, that was three years ago, and they get worst over time.

With that being said, I hope you can get some relief. I am returning home in 27 days to start my VA disability claim. I retired last year, and 17 days form being able to start my claim while still on AD, the AF tried to MEB me. I say try, as I fought to get it reverted back to a normal retirement as I already had retirement orders in hand and was starting terminal 3 months later. I got it reverted back to a traditional retirement just a few days before I did my final out. During that time, I got my current job as a defense contractor and had to be overseas 5 weeks from my final out date. When the VSRs found that out, they refused to help me. So, I have resigned my position here, and will start the process on 5 Aug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top