Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who doesn't carry cash?  At least $100 in case of situations like that.
View Quote
This right here, I always carry cash, even if I am planning on using a credit card.  Cant tell you how many times it has saved me. Cash is was and always will be, king.   Just make sure to replenish it if you use it in a pinch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats why I always have a $50 folded up and tucked behind my license. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
3% cash back with the card, cash has likely been up noses, in nasty strippers panties, and all sorts of other nasty places.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go be cashless somewhere else.
This. Life rule. Cash works . Why do you need to eat on credit.
3% cash back with the card, cash has likely been up noses, in nasty strippers panties, and all sorts of other nasty places.
That's why I pay almost everything w/ one card.   I get a fair amount back every month and pay the bill before I get it online.   Free money.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Come back tomorrow. If they don't like that, tough titties.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
You can run cards offline. It'll batch when internet comes back up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tell them you'll come back tomorrow.
View Quote
It really is that easy...
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Always carry enough cash to make a robber happy.

$50-100 should do.
View Quote
I intend to make a robber VERY, VERY unhappy.

My lack of cash is going to be the least of his worries, if i get half a chance...
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go be cashless somewhere else.
Because cash doesn't buy me a new AR upper every year from cash back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

$50-100 should do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$50-100 should do.
I carry 57 rounds of 180gr goodness.

You know, for robbers...
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Points! I have a $415 check this month from them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep two $100 bills in my phone case for these situations.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Asked for my check. Waited 5 minutes... Asked the server for my check again. He said the machine is down, thanks for your patience...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did they tell you ahead of time the credit card machine wasn't working?    Or did it just happen?
Asked for my check. Waited 5 minutes... Asked the server for my check again. He said the machine is down, thanks for your patience...
Basically their fault.    I’d wait 15-20 minutes, after that I’d leave my contact info.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Happened to me at Bojangles.
Manager just said take it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd wait 15-20, then ask for my bill to be comped...

My time is probably worth more than the bill.

This is why business ISPs have the 99.999% guarantee.

Cry to Comcast, bitches!
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tell them you'll come back tomorrow.
View Quote
Yup. Im happy to give them my contact info incase i flake but nope. Im not waiting too terribly long
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Happened to me at a Chinese restaurant. They let me go home and come back tomorrow to pay. Didn't ask me for any info
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a network engineer. Step 1 would be "Get them enough temporary Internet access to process my transaction".

If I have my laptop bag-o-tricks with me (I often do) and they point me to the back room where their shittastic router/switch/AP/modem lives, they're going to have Internet access. Until I leave.
View Quote
You would be surprised. I have seen some POS systems that if anything becomes unhooked they stop working till  you call tech support to have them re-initialize. Shit was crazy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Carry cash op, I like to keep 100 on me. Lately been carrying more because 100 don’t go far. I also keep one check in the car, and two types of credit cards in my wallet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m not wealthy by any means but I always keep a $100 bill in my wallet for emergencies like this. Mostly it’s because my debit card has been “stolen” so many times. Not the card itself, but my account info. I’ve never lost any money on the thefts, they have all been caught by MasterCard security but for some reason they never call me to tell me they shut my card off for my protection.

Funny, it hasn’t happened since I stopped going to bars and drinking. I always thought it was gas pump skimmers that were endemic in my area.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You would be surprised. I have seen some POS systems that if anything becomes unhooked they stop working till  you call tech support to have them re-initialize. Shit was crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a network engineer. Step 1 would be "Get them enough temporary Internet access to process my transaction".

If I have my laptop bag-o-tricks with me (I often do) and they point me to the back room where their shittastic router/switch/AP/modem lives, they're going to have Internet access. Until I leave.
I don't need to unplug anything. I just need access to their existing switch in the back room.

The only thing that would fuck the situation up, was the payment processor not recognizing the public IP address (or netblock - I can't imagine many would require a globally routable static from their ISP) the transactions were now coming from - if they even check for that.

Might be more tricky if it's part of a huge national chain, and everything rides over MPLS (or whatever) back to their data center first (and the processor expects this). I was really more thinking about a Mom & Pop type joint, leasing a terminal from whoever.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't need to unplug anything. I just need access to their existing switch in the back room.

The only thing that would fuck the situation up, was the payment processor not recognizing the public IP address (or netblock - I can't imagine many would require a globally routable static from their ISP) the transactions were now coming from - if they even check for that.

Might be more tricky if it's part of a huge national chain, and everything rides over MPLS (or whatever) back to their data center first (and the processor expects this). I was really more thinking about a Mom & Pop type joint, leasing a terminal from whoever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a lot of them the easiest answer would be to just plug the credit card machine into it.   Skip the whole back room part.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]
You only bath your kids once a week or something?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
People younger than 50 *shrug*
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
You should be a huge asshole, make a giant stink, storm out of there without paying like you're king of the world and then never come back. That will show them and also teach your kids a lesson on civility.
good job
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve worked in corporate restaurants for about 10 years.  We keep “knuckle busters” for just such occasions which are the old school manual credit card carbon copiers.  They suck to use but it’s better than trying to keep a restaurant full of people hostage until the cc machine might or might not come back online.

If they don’t have a way to take your payment I’d say walk out and come back and pay at your convenience.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Debit cards are a thing too. I've been to more businesses lately that do NOT take cash versus ones that do not or will not take debit/credit cards.

Usually its smaller restaurants and retail venues that do not want to deal with the extra accounting and hassle of depositing cash when a debit or credit card everything is automated.
View Quote
Can you give an actual instance or name a venue which does NOT take cash.  Asking for a friend...

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’ve worked in corporate restaurants for about 10 years.  We keep “knuckle busters” for just such occasions which are the old school manual credit card carbon copiers.  They suck to use but it’s better than trying to keep a restaurant full of people hostage until the cc machine might or might not come back online.

If they don’t have a way to take your payment I’d say walk out and come back and pay at your convenience.
View Quote
This

Bad planning by the general manager.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh internet is down? That means I get your goods and services free! Get real dude, your tender is not acceptable at the moment, either go get them the money you owe them or roll your sleeves up and get to washing some dishes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can run cards offline. It'll batch when internet comes back up.
View Quote
We aren’t a restaurant, but rather a small business. If our internet is down our machine won’t do anything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If they've got LTE coverage and I've got my bag with me, it's about 5 minutes of my time. That card reader WILL be on a network with Internet access.

EDIT: Maybe 10 minutes, if the card machine has a static IP and I need to figure out their local subnet address.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are far more dedicated than I am.
If they've got LTE coverage and I've got my bag with me, it's about 5 minutes of my time. That card reader WILL be on a network with Internet access.

EDIT: Maybe 10 minutes, if the card machine has a static IP and I need to figure out their local subnet address.
Not a chance in hell I'd let someone route my network, with or without credit transactions, through someone's mifi.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Write a check?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh internet is down? That means I get your goods and services free! Get real dude, your tender is not acceptable at the moment, either go get them the money you owe them or roll your sleeves up and get to washing some dishes.
View Quote
If the door, website, etc says that they accept credit cards and they regularly accept the cards, it isn't the customer's fault that they cannot pay using that method. I'd bet over 75% of food-service transactions are by credit cards at this point...I rarely carry enough cash to cover a meal for a family plus tip.

I'm not saying that they should eat the costs due to a 15 minute outage, but most of the restaurant owners that I know would. They can't hold you hostage, and it isn't your responsibility to wait more than an acceptable time for them to correct it. If the business is running so tight that they can't cover the costs of the people that potentially check out in 15 minutes, then they need a backup source of accepting payments via credit card (square, old school impression slide, etc)
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
so I can get 2.5% cash back on the charge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

People younger than 50 *shrug*
View Quote
28yo. My friends make fun of me when I break out cash to pay.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Really? no blading at 45 and shouting I will not be detained? Iv had that happen before, told them Id come back and pay later, they said no... .. So I left, fuck um.. I gave them the chance to let me do the right thing, they declined, at that point its not my problem anymore its theirs...
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I carry enough cash to buy two Hi points. You never know when you will need a throwaway.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#40]
A $50 dollar bill folds in half and fits in your phone case nicely. Never be without cash.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Can you give an actual instance or name a venue which does NOT take cash.  Asking for a friend...

Paladin
View Quote
On board most flights, for example. Cashless.

I’ve visited a few places in the UP of Michigan (including one of the ski hills) that are cashless due to their (lack of) proximity to a local bank.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#42]
There's a reason the numbers on a credit card are still embossed.

If they don't have enough sense to have a back-up credit card imprinter that uses the old style carbon paper charge slips under the counter...that's their fault.

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#43]
The supermarket here had that happen a few weeks ago.
They went over the store intercom telling people that the credit card processing was down.
I saw a lot of griping, and I imagine they had a lot of people leave full carts of food behind, the workers would have to restock.  That's why you should always have a backup plan; cash or check in this case.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If they don't have enough sense to have a back-up credit card imprinter that uses the old style carbon paper charge slips under the counter...that's their fault.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/images/pfchangs.jpg
View Quote
more than half the credit cards in my wallet are not embossed.

https://slate.com/business/2018/04/why-are-credit-card-numbers-on-the-back-of-the-card-now.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Ask for pen and paper and write a check. Don't forget your routing number.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
My newest one is not.

And OP, if I was given the chance to surf Arfcom and sit in a restaurant, or go home and bathe the kids, that's an easy choice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#47]
They must have locked the doors and have everyone doing the dishes before they are herded into the basement rape room.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#48]
A grown ass man should ALWAYS have multiple ways to pay.

What the fuck is so difficult about carrying a $100 cash and 1 check?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

more than half the credit cards in my wallet are not embossed.

https://slate.com/business/2018/04/why-are-credit-card-numbers-on-the-back-of-the-card-now.html
https://compote.slate.com/images/2743d676-2750-4f57-a8ba-f44db7fc3de9.jpeg?width=780&height=520&rect=1560x1040&offset=0x0
View Quote
I've honestly never seen a credit card without the raised number on the front. That has to be very new and they sure have not advertised the change...at least in DFW.

Live and learn, huh?  

Thanks.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top