Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2018 2:38:47 PM EDT
Army posthumusly awards heroism medals to three JROTC Cadets.

The Army has awarded Medals of Heroism, the service’s highest medal for Reserve Officers’ Training Corps cadets, to the three JROTC students killed defending their classmates from a gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida on Feb. 14

The Medal of Heroism, awarded to students Peter Wang, Alaina Petty and Martin Duque, recognizes JROTC cadets whose achievements “involved the acceptance of danger and extraordinary responsibilities, exemplifying praiseworthy courage and fortitude.”

All three students were among the 17 people killed by former Stoneman Douglas High School JROTC cadet Nikolas Cruz on Wednesday. According to eyewitness accounts, Wang was last seen holding a door open to allow his fellow students to escape. The Army confirmed the news, first reported by The Daily Beast, to Task & Purpose on Tuesday.
View Quote
In addition to the Medal of Heroism, Cadet Peter Wang's parents received a letter of acceptance for him to the U.S. Military Academy's Class of 2025, which was his life's goal.

The Army is also working to award medals to other JROTC students who displayed bravery during the event.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Godspeed
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Good.  RIP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Good. Salute.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
respect .....RIP
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes it takes a tragedy for a true hero to shine

RIP
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I just read that aloud to my kids (7,9,17) and the 17 year old started to cry

I think what she said sums it up pretty good,

“Right in the fucking feels”

Godspeed  cadets,

And even though it’s become cliche these days,

Till Valhalla
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
It suddenly became super dusty in here reading that. RIP, heroes. This school shooting feels very different from its predecessors. The atmosphere around it is heavier and the utter disregard for human life is harder to swallow. I was left devastated by the Mandalay Bay Massacre and every school shooting has resonated, but this go around . . . I can't put my finger on it, but there is *something* different.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to see the Army grant them military honors. They upheld and exceeded the Army values.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
RIP, they would have made fine officer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Good.

Reminds me of this:

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

? Fred Rogers
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.  RIP.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
good.
they earned them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would love to see the Army grant them military honors. They upheld and exceeded the Army values.
View Quote
and this, too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It suddenly became super dusty in here reading that. RIP, heroes. This school shooting feels very different from its predecessors. The atmosphere around it is heavier and the utter disregard for human life is harder to swallow. I was left devastated by the Mandalay Bay Massacre and every school shooting has resonated, but this go around . . . I can't put my finger on it, but there is *something* different.
View Quote
Perhaps it's in the callous disregard for human life displayed by the Broward County Sheriff and the FBI in deliberately allowing it to happen for political purposes while the Leftist machine put all the pieces in place to take political advantage immediately afterward.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I am surprised the libs aren't crying because they won't give all the students a participation medal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Perhaps it's in the callous disregard for human life displayed by the Broward County Sheriff and the FBI in deliberately allowing it to happen for political purposes while the Leftist machine put all the pieces in place to take political advantage immediately afterward.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much this.

The FBI, the local school district, the Sheriff, and all those put in charge down there have systematic flaws which allowed this to happen.

All the warning signs were there and it was completely preventable - no one did their job, and they'e not even being held accountable.

It's a shame, as the blame is being shifted to people who weren't even responsible all in the name of politics.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
True heroes.

Shame on the press for not giving them what they deserve.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#20]

I am ok with this!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad to see they are working on awards for some of the other Cadets who did not die.  I heard some interviews and reports.  They stepped up.  Organized Kevlar and fire extinguisher defenses, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Good.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Good
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sometimes it takes a tragedy for a true hero to shine

RIP
View Quote
That's what makes heros. Not some faggot wearing a dress (the MSM version of a hero).
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much this.
We are seeing full force the attempt to disarm America and the facts that the left will use children as pawns in their effort.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Why? JROTC != ROTC. Keep the Army out of politics.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
True heroes. They exemplify what it means to be a soldier. RIP
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m proud and saddened by their loss.

RIP cadets.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#31]
There are a lot of good kids out there. TV and the press just shows the fuck ups and the whiney ones. All isn’t lost yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm okay with this.

RIP brave kiddos.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why? Because according to Army Regulation 145-2 "Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps Program", the Medal for Heroism is a JROTC award awarded by the Department of the Army.

From pages 54 and 55 of the linked .pdf file:

8–5. Medal of Heroism (ROTC and NDCC)
a. Criteria. The Medal of Heroism (fig 8–1) is a U.S. military decoration awarded by the Department of the Army
(DA) to any Junior ROTC cadet who performs an act of heroism. The achievement must be an accomplishment so
exceptional and outstanding that it clearly sets the individual apart from fellow students or from other persons in
similar circumstances. The performance must have involved the acceptance of danger and extraordinary responsibilities,
exemplifying praiseworthy fortitude and courage.

b. Nominations will be—
(1) Initiated by the SAI on the basis of achievements described in a above. Such acts may have been accomplished
while on or off the institution property.
(2) Submitted by the SAI to the appropriate subordinate commander concerned for approval or disapproval. DA
Form 638 (Recommendation for Award) or a letter will be used. Statements of eyewitnesses (preferably in the form of
certificates, affidavits, or sworn statements), extracts from official records, sketches, maps, diagrams, or photographs
will be attached to support and amplify stated facts. The final approval authority is the Region Commander.
c. Requisitions for the medals may be submitted to Defense Personnel Support Center, ATTN: DPSC–T, 2800 South
20th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19101 through the supporting installation.
d. Presentation of this award will be made during an appropriate ceremony by a general officer or other senior
officer of the Active Army.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#34]

From left to right: Peter Wang, Alaina Petty, Martin Duque
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:49:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Good.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
NO.
JROTC and ROTC are affiliated but they are in no way equal.  The mission of JROTC is to form good citizens of America. Obviously this program in Fla is successful at that.

The mission of ROTC is to train future officers of the US Army.

This gives me hope for ur future that these kids reacted they way they did.  It also makes you stop and think that the world is NOT the way the MSM paints it
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ve heard the governor has directed the Florida guard support the funeral.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Well deserved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top