Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2022 8:38:11 PM EDT
This is a photo of U.S. Navy Admiral Davidson (seated, lower left) testifying before Congress, but that's not important.

The soldier standing behind him is, I presume (?) the Command Sergeant Major of the Army (???).

In any event, I am wondering WTH that very large golden wings badge is, as indicated by the arrow.

???

Just curious as I have never seen anything like it.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
foreign
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it the badge that Al Pacino used in HEAT?

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Jump wings?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is a photo of U.S. Navy Admiral Davidson (seated, lower left) testifying before Congress, but that's not important.

The soldier standing behind him is, I presume (?) the Command Sergeant Major of the Army (???).

In any event, I am wondering WTH that very large golden wings badge is, as indicated by the arrow.

???

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49274/BadgeQuestion-2378180.jpg
View Quote

Looks like foreign jump wings. Maybe British?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

???

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49274/BadgeQuestion-2378180.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Aston Martin enthusiast...
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe it the biden authorized Woke Commendation Medal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
From the crappy image, Thai parachutist badge.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
They are called "red wings".

That is also why he is wearing a mask.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
And it's not the CSM of the Army.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Who ever he is, he is a fucking cuck, wearing that fucking mask.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it the CSM that Al Pacino used in HEAT?

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3547/THAI_ARMY_JUMP_WINGS-2378190.jpgFrom the crappy image, Thai parachutist badge.

View Quote

@ODA_564 those are the craziest looking wings I've ever seen! damn
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3547/THAI_ARMY_JUMP_WINGS-2378190.jpgFrom the crappy image, Thai parachutist badge.

Yeah I had to look at those for a minute to realize those are supposed to be elephant heads under the canopy.

That's some Idi Amin type bling, right there!

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you think he wants to be SMA under a red or blue administration?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]
It's awarded for excellency in diversity.

Note the two characters with breasts standing in a field of flowers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Maruchan Ramen paid him extra for the props.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

IIRC, the infantry version has a bold shoulder cord that goes along with the wings.

I always thought the Ivory Coast wings were the coolest looking...

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

IIRC, the infantry version has a bold shoulder cord that goes along with the wings.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/84/c3/0b/84c30bb34b863ece2c2a28ddf0d660db.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/84/c3/0b/84c30bb34b863ece2c2a28ddf0d660db.png

Those are definitely interesting and unique. I’ve never seen them before. I like them.

To be honest, when looking at different jump wings I was always impressed most by my own. American jump wings are modest and subtle. No need to be flashy, just a little bling to signify we’re Paratroopers.

ETA: having jump wings doesn’t = Paratrooper. Serving in an Airborne unit = Paratrooper. Getting your “Five jump chump” wings = “I just want the promotion points”
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Thai jump wings
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Unpopular opinion: foreign jump wings are mostly bullshit. You jump out of a US plane with a US chute into a US drop one but because there was some foreigner on board giving you US commands in whatever language it’s a foreign jump.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those are definitely interesting and unique. I’ve never seen them before. I like them.

To be honest, when looking at different jump wings I was always impressed most by my own. American jump wings are modest and subtle. No need to be flashy, just a little bling to signify we’re Paratroopers.
View Quote

USMC / Navy have their own version Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Navy seal extra large 187% normal size, gold, one each.
I bought my son one in San Diego when he was 5.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

@6winchester2  he's assigned to  US INDOPACOM not CSM of army
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Unpopular opinion: foreign jump wings are mostly bullshit. You jump out of a US plane with a US chute into a US drop one but because there was some foreigner on board giving you US commands in whatever language it’s a foreign jump.
View Quote

I received mine after being attached to the British Army. I attended their parachute training. Jumped their aircraft, using their new parachute with their 2,3 and 4 Para Bn as one of only 2 Americans assigned to the Parachute Regiment onto European drop zones. But I understand what you’re referring to.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I received my German armed forces proficiency badge after doing it all with navy people, on a NATO base and the only time I saw a German was when they stumbled through saying our names at the presentation ceremony. I can't wear it anyway so whatever.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Thai Jumpwings with Fourragare or the German Marksmanship (EIB) were the Foreign Awards most coveted back in the old timey days.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USMC / Navy have their own version https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/3ED9EBC4-B6B5-4F50-932B-C26899183CFD_png-2378556.JPG

OK let me clarify - U.S. Army Jump Wings.

I actually made a reference to the Marine Corps wings in my original comment but deleted it before submitting to avoid another inter-branch pissing match.

But they can’t get those gold ones without first earning Army wings. We had four Marines in my Airborne class. Only two got their wings.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I actually made a reference to the Marine Corps wings in my original comment but deleted it before submitting to avoid another inter-branch pissing match.

But they can’t get those gold ones without first earning Army wings. We
had four Marines in my Airborne class. Only two got their wings.
View Quote

There are ways
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thai Jumpwings with Fourragare or the German Marksmanship (EIB) were the Foreign Awards most coveted back in the old timey days.
View Quote

Are you referring to Schützenschnur? That in no way compares to the EIB.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thai for sure and I never got them. German, Canadian and for senior enlisted officer / NCOs in the 80s Vietnam were extremely common. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

But they can’t get those gold ones without first earning Army wings. We had four Marines in my Airborne class. Only two got their wings.
View Quote

Nowadays. I think the Navy had its own school in New Jersey until the 1970s.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to say not Thai Army wings.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like I was beat
Thailand Army Paratrooper jump
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t doubt it. I graduated in 1988.

We also had 11 SEALs in our class. They were the only people that couldn’t get kicked out because they’d already been through a year+ of training. They could only be recycled. We had three get recycled that would have been given the boot if they were any other branch - two for having alcohol in the barracks and a LT for getting drunk, pissing on a MP car, and running from the MPs. It was hilarious…but they took away our drinking privileges (I was too young to drink so didn’t really affect me). He was demoted to LT JG in front of the entire Company…and recycled.

Air Force had the best showing. We had one Airman, and he graduated. 100%

In my class:
Marines graduated 50%
Army graduated 60%
SEALs graduated 72%
Air Force 100%
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda looks like Tape Face from America's Got Talent

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don’t doubt it. I graduated in 1988.

We also had 11 SEALs in our class. They were the only people that couldn’t get kicked out because they’d already been through a year+ of training. They could only be recycled. We had three get recycled that would have been given the boot if they were any other branch - two for having alcohol in the barracks and a LT for getting drunk, pissing on a MP car, and running from the MPs. It was hilarious…but they took away our drinking privileges (I was too young to drink so didn’t really affect me). He was demoted to LT JG in front of the entire Company…and recycled.

Air Force had the best showing. We had one Airman, and he graduated. 100%

In my class:
Marines graduated 50%
Army graduated 60%
SEALs graduated 72%
Air Force 100%
View Quote

Almost the same time frame when I was there. I don’t recall the rates but there were Air Force para rescue, 160th aviation officers, Marine ANGLICO, 8 Navy SEALs, Army National Guard from 11th Group and a variety of foreign military including an African NCO who told us his unit jumped from WW2 era aircraft. At my air assault course we had a Coast Guard E-3 which seemed weird.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I went to Jump School at Benning in Jan '81. We had 6 or 7 SEALs in our class.
I got my British jump wings around '82 or so. Really wanted to get my German jump wings when our unit went to Reforged. A few guys in my company got to go to the German jump school. If you already had foreign wings, you couldn't go.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I received mine after being attached to the British Army. I attended their parachute training. Jumped their aircraft, using their new parachute with their 2,3 and 4 Para Bn as one of only 2 Americans assigned to the Parachute Regiment onto European drop zones. But I understand what you’re referring to.
View Quote

Worthy of foreign jump wings.

Doing all that in one of those 3rd world Para units should deserve a mustard stain...
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

iirc as a Navy guy (probably Airforce too) you get awarded your Army silver jump wings. Then, after your 10th jump, you get the gold.

Note: In the movie Heartbreak Ridge, the LT. is only wearing his silver wings even though he is in a Force recon unit. He's still waiting on #10...
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:37:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Almost the same time frame when I was there. I don’t recall the rates but there were Air Force para rescue, 160th aviation officers, Marine ANGLICO, 8 Navy SEALs, Army National Guard from 11th Group and a variety of foreign military including an African NCO who told us his unit jumped from WW2 era aircraft. At my air assault course we had a Coast Guard E-3 which seemed weird.
View Quote

I went through in '90. I remember Navy guys but never talked to any to find out why they were there, SEAL, Para Rescue, or some Admirals' kid..
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’re right, certainly, but if you tell a teenage paratrooper that he’s authorized to hang an exotic doodad on his uniforms he’s going to do it!

Mine were Turkish. We had flown non-stop from NC to get there and I don’t recall if we even had any Turks with us on the jump.

In hindsight, it’s a little embarrassing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're right, certainly, but if you tell a teenage paratrooper that he's authorized to hang an exotic doodad on his uniforms he's going to do it!

Mine were Turkish. We had flown non-stop from NC to get there and I don't recall if we even had any Turks with us on the jump.

In hindsight, it's a little embarrassing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18447/CFF5C0E2-0240-4464-AF0D-9BBF40FD93E4_jpe-2378608.JPG
View Quote
Looks  pretty cool to me
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was Googling the Ivory Coast jump wings someone posted. They were awarded to a civil affairs unit, they did the jump at FT. Bragg. That is not the way I thought it was done. I will say, they do look cool though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was Googling the Ivory Coast jump wings someone posted. They were awarded to a civil affairs unit, they did the jump at FT. Bragg. That is not the way I thought it was done. I will say, they do look cool though.
View Quote

Worst way done. Per the unit supply sergeant who also went to Korea, while I did not go with the detachment that did, I found out my CSM and several NCOs were awarded Korean jump wings despite the jump being cancelled due to rain and no jump ever taking place. I’ve been handed Japanese jump wings while training with the Japanese airborne brigade - no jumps ever took place so I would never consider wearing those.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like maybe Thai jump wings. My old MSGT had them. Apparently it is a big deal to get to qualify with the Thai army.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looks like maybe Thai jump wings. My old MSGT had them. Apparently it is a big deal to get to qualify with the Thai army.
View Quote

One of our ARFCOM members was awarded Thai wings during Cobra Gold. Marines aren’t authorized to wear foreign badges but I think they’re allowed to wear foreign medals awarded.
Parachute Operations - Cobra Gold 2012 - US, Thai, Korean, Japanese Forces
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Thai jumpwings
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top