BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone got the German camo gortex pants? They look pretty decent, figured someone on here must have a set
View Quote

My buddy uses the flecktern gotetex pants and jacket hunting, but I can't imagine they're very quiet. They seem the same as the US stuff to me.

@Stillnothere

I'm sure you've heard this, but don't buy used goretex anything. I know it's more durable than DWT coatings, but it only lasts so long (so many washes?) before it breaks down and become a little too permeable lol. If it's surplus goretex, make sure you order new unissued.

I haven't used my goretex pants in probably over 15 years as I don't find them comfortable. I have some packable rain pants I just slip over if I'm somehow stuck outside in rain for a while. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Have it dyed black easy enough to do
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Damn Rocky just can't make no friends.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
M65 rules.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an M65 in the 1980s and spent a lot of time outdoors in it.  A $40 Chinese softshell will kick its ass for comfort; but it does look cool and have a stashable hood.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because you want to be cold when you get wet, wearing a glorified BDU top?

M65 is garbage.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i still want an OD M65 for when i'm hitchhiking through the PNW whilst visiting some old work friends and seeking something to eat, then making new friends with local LE.

M65 is garbage.

You are right though:  It's garbage.  I wouldn't trust and/or us it anywhere south of the 50's or so.  And that's with the liner.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked with a dude that wore his old issue m65 to work. It was an OD jobby from his USMC days where when was in Forward
Artillery
Group

The back of the m65 said F.A.G.

He was the shell shocked sort of guy so noone gave him shit about it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My go to coat is a black M65. And when it is really cold, a black button in liner for it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I get a lot of use out of my old OD M65 and M51 field jackets. They’re vintage awesomeness!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Aren't the genuine G.I. M-65's treated with Quarpel and offer some modicum of (Good, Fair, Poor) water-proofness or water-resistant-ness?

Quarpel is older than this article but it suffices: https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2014/10/17/army-tests-super-repellent-uniform/
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Aren't the genuine G.I. M-65's treated with Quarpel and offer some modicum of (Good, Fair, Poor) water-proofness or water-resistant-ness?

Quarpel is older than this article but it suffices: https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2014/10/17/army-tests-super-repellent-uniform/
View Quote

It's like 10% better than a rain resistant treated softshell; but colder than the softshell to start and doesn't stay warm when wet like a lot of the fleeces will.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

M65 is garbage.

View Quote
bruh
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Where did you get that?

@-Apocalypto-
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys crack me up with the temperature comments.

I am cold natured and definitely don’t have any desire to be uncomfortable. And even I can easily wear it down into the thirties.

I think either you guys have forgotten what the jacket is actually like or you are wearing the jacket out while not wearing any pants.

I am also baffled as to if you guys never leave the house in anything other than Gortex?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/467/1355331549061.jpg

You are right though:  It's garbage.  I wouldn't trust and/or us it anywhere south of the 50's or so.  And that's with the liner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/467/1355331549061.jpg

Oh, it's just me tilting against the GD "M65 is amazing" windmill as usual.  *how to tell someone was never actually issued one and had to go to the field with the stupid thing*

Quoted:
I worked with a dude that wore his old issue m65 to work. It was an OD jobby from his USMC days where when was in Forward
Artillery
Group

The back of the m65 said F.A.G.

He was the shell shocked sort of guy so noone gave him shit about it.

Or "former action guy"
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am cold natured and definitely don't have any desire to be uncomfortable. And even I can easily wear it down into the thirties.

I think either you guys have forgotten what the jacket is actually like or you are wearing the jacket out while not wearing any pants.

I am also baffled as to if you guys never leave the house in anything other than Gortex?
View Quote

To each their own, but if you want a warm comfy jacket in damp cool weather...an m65 is not the ideal solution.

I don't judge myself; wear what you like.
You're not gonna die of exposure in the 30's because you wore an M65 lol; it's still a functional jacket.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh, it's just me tilting against the GD "M65 is amazing" windmill as usual.  *how to tell someone was never actually issued one and had to go to the field with the stupid thing*

Or "former action guy"
View Quote

I was issued one and I did wear one in the field.

But weirdly enough…I don’t have to go in the field anymore.

When I do find my self in austere environments I choose something else.

ETA: ironically enough I use a field jacket liner underneath my single layer Gortex riding jacket. It was 22 degrees this morning.

I also use the pants liners when I have longer trips. I dig them because they stop just above my riding boots. These are also under Gortex riding pants.

The liners are also great when you need to up the rating on a sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
M65 rules.
View Quote

That's right! Don't be a damned commie!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i still want an OD M65 for when i'm hitchhiking through the PNW whilst visiting some old work friends and seeking something to eat, then making new friends with local LE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@DoubleARon
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I ordered the Dutch jacket and then tried to do some research to see if they are legit military. No military references but there is a guy selling them on eBay for $49 with a pic of the label. It’s interesting.
View Quote

Did you do a search on the NSN ?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@DoubleARon
View Quote
does he know who took my knife?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
does he know who took my knife?
View Quote
Out here, I'm the law.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I found the M65 to be excellent at campaign rallies, in addition to hitchhiking the PNW.

Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I found the M65 to be excellent at campaign rallies, in addition to hitchhiking the PNW.

https://carboncostume.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/travisbickle.jpg
View Quote

i was just trying to get somethin' to eat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
M65 =  freeze your ass off in any sort of wind.   I lived in my 'Graf jacket' back in the 80's.   The 1st gen Gortex rain gear came out, but wasn't issue, and was high dollar.   Plastic wet weather jacket with a poncho liner sewn in got the job done cheap.
View Quote
I had a graf jacket made when I was in Germany in 84-87 I loved that thing, warm and dry in those miserable German winters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]

That one looks the best!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am cold natured and definitely don’t have any desire to be uncomfortable. And even I can easily wear it down into the thirties.

View Quote

Eh, it's damn near a 60 year old cotton jacket.  Even the Rothco version costs near $100.  There's a lot better value out there.

And I've still got two original M65s, though the XS I wore as a kid in the 80s is kind of tight these days. But I can compare in real time, and the one that still fits me is my Dad's 1969 issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its basically a 1940s soft shell coat with 1950s waterproofing (Quarpel).  Its part of a layering system meant to be used over wool long johns, a wool shirt, and a wool sweater or jacket (the original wool Ike Jacket was meant for combat use beneath the m43 coat), with an optional liner.   In wet weather you were supposed to wear an actual rain coat, poncho, or rain suit over it or instead of it.   Somehow over the years all this fell by the wayside and people expect a 2 layer cotton coat to keep them warm by itself.  The Army is certainly to blame as they issued the first field jackets oversized by 8 inches to accomodate planned layering and never told any end users why it was so big.  WWII GIs were like "WTF this coat is marked the wrong size!" and  swapped for smaller ones...

Layer it with wool or modern stuff Fleece, polypropylene etc and it will work fine.  If it rains you need a hard shell.   Most people today will just layer with a hard shell.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

"volunteers wore cotton oxford raincoats treated with Quarpel in a simulated rainstorm of 1" per hour for 12 hours and stayed dry... Lol sounds fun....

"Quarpel , a combination of a flurocarbon with a standard quanternary ammonium - salt water repellant formula... "

https://books.google.com/books?id=10XeiO-wIhgC&pg=PA7&dq=quarpel&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&source=gb_mobile_search&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjd__uYz-H8AhWEGVkFHaLyCfsQ6AF6BAgGEAM#v=onepage&q=quarpel&f=false

Like your article says all these fluorocarbon DWRs are going away.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://carboncostume.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/travisbickle.jpg
View Quote
There's a website that has correct patch sets for various famous characters. COL Kurtz, etc. I think they have a set for him.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Its basically a 1940s soft shell coat with 1950s waterproofing (Quarpel).  Its part of a layering system meant to be used over wool long johns, a wool shirt, and a wool sweater or jacket (the original wool Ike Jacket was meant for combat use beneath the m43 coat), with an optional liner.   In wet weather you were supposed to wear an actual rain coat, poncho, or rain suit over it or instead of it.   Somehow over the years all this fell by the wayside and people expect a 2 layer cotton coat to keep them warm by itself.  The Army is certainly to blame as they issued the first field jackets oversized by 8 inches to accomodate planned layering and never told any end users why it was so big.  WWII GIs were like "WTF this coat is marked the wrong size!" and  swapped for smaller ones...

Layer it with wool or modern stuff Fleece, polypropylene etc and it will work fine.  If it rains you need a hard shell.   Most people today will just layer with a hard shell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am cold natured and definitely don't have any desire to be uncomfortable. And even I can easily wear it down into the thirties.

That makes a lot of sense.
I'd like to know more
Links?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll give the military credit for one thing.  Those ancient wool/nylon blends may have felt like you were being eaten alive by ants; but they were warm and they were way more durable than merino wool.  When your working uniform is wafer-thin denim dungarees, it's amazing what that itchy black turtleneck sweater, a watchcap, and a peacoat can do for personal warmth, if not comfort.  Same for the blankets in the barracks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That makes a lot of sense.
I'd like to know more
Links?
View Quote

These guys have some well researched articles on it:

"Having a correctly sized field jacket was a key part of the function of the overall M-1943 Uniform as it was based on the layering principle. Each part thus had to fit as designed or would not work as well as designed. To quote using War Department Supply Bulletin SB 10-191 Fitting and Issuing of Jacket, Field, M-1943 published February 1st, 1945:
“The issue of improper sizes of [the M-1943 Field Jacket] will cause soldiers discomfort by preventing them from wearing adequate clothing under jacket and will result in ill-fitting clothing.”
https://menofthecentury.com/articles/reenactor-lessons/reenactor-lessons-fitting-of-the-m-1943-field-jacket/

A few neat WWII tidbits here:
https://tomharperkelly.com/winter-warfare-tips-from-the-8th-infantry-division/

https://blog.atthefront.com/m43-field-jacket-liners/

https://blog.atthefront.com/the-field-jacket/

Postwar changes were relatively small in the greater scheme of things. Zippers and snaps replace buttons, the collar changed, they added that half assed hood in the collar.  

It was really just one piece in a relatively sophisticated layering system.  They never effectively communicated that IMHO.

There is a really good book that has a chapter that covers the development in some detail too.  I can't remember the title.  IM me and remind me and I'll look for it later if you're interested.

[Edit] I forget this site https://www.usww2uniforms.com/370E.html

It mentions the Ike Jacket and its intended use as a field item and liner layer: https://www.usww2uniforms.com/437.html
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top