Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2024 5:33:43 PM EDT
This was mentioned in another thread, so I figured I'd post a new one and ask directly - those of you that are working with and on AI tools, what has your experience been like? How has it changed how you work? Are there any interesting use cases that you're thinking of, or that you've seen in practice?

I've spent the past month catching up on the current state of AI and its associated ecosystem. I'm 40, and have been in tech in some form for almost 25 years at this point, and a programmer/"software engineer" for 17 of those - I've seen enough trends rise and fall that I no longer jump on every shiny new thing. I work for startups, and my current employer was asked by our funders to focus on evaluating AI to see if we could find ways to save money and/or improve productivity through it. My title these days is "Sr. Staff Software Engineer", so this sort of thing is pretty central to what I do. I wasn't working on anything super urgent, so I was able to basically drop everything and "go dark" on Slack for a while to play with this stuff, explore, and figure out if we should invest time and money into it.

Today, the only thing I have to say about it is "holy shit". It's not magic, and it's not the solution to every problem, but once you understand how it works and what can be built with it... holy. shit.

Here's an example I just whipped up - I asked ChatGPT to write a script that checks a list of URLs and prints the status code for both HTTP and HTTPS: link

The crazy thing to me is that it just worked.

I've learned to write my prompts in a way that more consistently creates good results, but even prior to that I was able to get it to provide good output by telling it what was wrong or what I wanted changed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#1]
I use AI for examining my YouTube thumbnails and channel analytics. If I try to min/max according to the AI's suggestions, I see positive results.

I've also used AI for assistance during script writing and it comes in handy for getting a baseline together in about a quarter of the time it would take to organize talking points.

I also use AI in Davinci Resolve for adding subtitles and it's about 90% correct and cuts my subtitling time by 80%.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been using mid journey to avoid the horrible creative team at my job. It’s faster, budget free, and allows me to make supporting visual content for trainings much more easily.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It treats me pretty well.. last night it brought me dinner to my door.
the day before yesterday it delivered flowers to Mrs Rudder without any more then a suggestion.

a few months ago a co-worker used dualing AI "personalities" to troll the fuck out of a televised "science class".

Being that the HOA refuses to allow me to install pod bay doors on the front of my house, I have no concerns
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve used it to do similar things plus using gpt to write custom resumes as well as provide interviewing questions based upon a job description.

It’s not perfect but is getting there…
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been doing the same for the last month or so. Microsoft's Copilot can be pretty useful about 75% of the time, and a hinderance the remainder of the time.

We've created some custom GPT's using GPT 4 and have had mixed results. The main problem I see is GPT is it's very sure of itself. You ask it a question and it gives you an answer without really giving the end user any context about how confident it is. It delivers the same answer it has 5% confidence in, with the same delivery as a 99% confidence answer. It's up to you to know the difference.

I think the scare mongering about it taking developer's jobs is not yet the real world. I do see developers that maximize AI tools, taking jobs from developers who don't use them.

Not great, not terrible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
AI isnt a fad that is going to fade into the background.

That maf’ck gonna change the entire game
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't directly used AI much, but I am really annoyed at how the top web searches for almost any tech topic are almost always AI-generated garbage that are so wrong it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
OpenAI did a demonstration of GPT-4o yesterday.  It was a tad glitchy, but it's pretty much the V1.0 Hollywood Sc-Fi do everything personal assistant AI you've been waiting for, with a flirty personality and Scarlett Johansson voice.  If I didn't think AI was going to transform the world before I do now.  Research some of the the other stuff they've got it doing, it's pretty mind blowing.

And remember, this is the AI they're going to let people use for free.  GPT-5 is supposedly already cooking in the lab.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been learning some analytical coding languages,  and I've used Copilot to help proof my code.  I know it can write the code for me, but not knowing fundamentals won't help when it's wrong.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't wait for the fad to die off.  Every time I open something else for work, there it is.  Google asking if i want to enable AI.  Gitlab nagging me to enable AI.  Pull up youtube to watch a training video for work, and youtube is showing AI annotations in the search results.  VS Code with AI autocomplete.

Just fucking stop it already.  Its not helpful.  When I want the AI crap, I know where to find it.  They are pushing this garbage way too hard.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been tossing around the idea of bringing in StarCoder 2 into our S/W factory.
I have a large amount of code in legacy languages (Ada, Fortran, Matlab, ...) that I would like to modernize.
Need to find the time to download and space to deploy their LLM.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Rats, sinking ship.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Decent. The more good tools that are developed with it the more roles I see it useful for. That GPT-4o demo was pretty amazing. We’re going to have true 1:1 personal assistants before we know it.

It’s fascinating what you can do with it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
Rats, sinking ship.

View Quote

More likely the old silicon valley yarn... instead of calling in sick, they're calling in rich.

So far the story being floated is he left to pursue a personal project. He was involved in the
mutiny so he may have gotten a nudge as well.

Also to the OP, the most impressive thing about that bash script is... it's properly commented.

I don't use current AI in my work, but my work is used by those in the AI business, and it's been
treating me very, very well. It's a little early to say but this year will probably be a personal best
financially, as was last year, and the AI boom has a lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have to take notes on meetings anymore
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
I can't wait for the fad to die off.  Every time I open something else for work, there it is.  Google asking if i want to enable AI.  Gitlab nagging me to enable AI.  Pull up youtube to watch a training video for work, and youtube is showing AI annotations in the search results.  VS Code with AI autocomplete.

Just fucking stop it already.  Its not helpful.  When I want the AI crap, I know where to find it.  They are pushing this garbage way too hard.
View Quote

I think there are two reasons for this.

One is that the hype is so high, VCs are almost literally throwing duffle bags full of cash at anyone who sounds like they might know anything about AI. Much of that money is getting spent on marketing - hence you seeing it everywhere.

The other reason is that it’s extremely “sticky”. Everyone I know that has really sat down and worked with this stuff has ended up as a proponent. More importantly, once you see how much of an improvement it is over the way you were doing it before, you’re never going back.

AI is being adopted bottom-up. People are bringing it into their workplace because it’s helping them, not because their boss told them to. Most people are keeping their mouths shut about it at work, too, for fear they’ll be told to stop.

The hype cycle will fade over time, but this isn’t going away. If anything, we’re still in the very beginning of the adoption curve.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ChuckD05:
View Quote

I’m working on figuring out a way to do 24/7 audio recording on my person, with the goal of building a true personal assistant.

Obviously, I’m not going to be sending those data off to OpenAI or something, so it’s all being done locally. At the moment I’m using llama3 (via Ollama and LangChain) to index all of my inbound and outbound digital conversations. That’s working well, but I’m going to have to end up buying an A100 or something, so I can run the 70B parameter models, and probably set up a processing pipeline for transcription so I don’t have to store all those files. I’ve tested it by running test files through vosk; the results looked terrible when I tried to read back through them, but when I fed it into the LLM for summarization, it actually did really well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#19]
It’s junk that writes shit like a 5 year old. Technology is archaic now. It’s the new mythology.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
It’s junk that writes shit like a 5 year old. Technology is archaic now. It’s the new mythology.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Using ai or developing models.  Cause trying to develop usable models on internally generated data is kicking my ass right now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I’ve been using AI for transcribing calls and virtual meetings, identifying action items for my task lists. I’ve also been using it for looking up codes, summarizing documents and web pages, and enhancing images.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I needed some regex combined with a sed command to grab some very specific data. There was pretty much no possible way I would have figured out the exact commands myself, so I threw the data I needed to parse through into ChatGPT and said "I need a regex expression piped to sed to get {data1 and data2} from all this garbage I just copy/pasted in here".

And it just spat it the prefect set of commands for me.

Amazing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

One is that the hype is so high, VCs are almost literally throwing duffle bags full of cash at anyone who sounds like they might know anything about AI. Much of that money is getting spent on marketing - hence you seeing it everywhere.

The other reason is that it’s extremely “sticky”. Everyone I know that has really sat down and worked with this stuff has ended up as a proponent. More importantly, once you see how much of an improvement it is over the way you were doing it before, you’re never going back.

AI is being adopted bottom-up. People are bringing it into their workplace because it’s helping them, not because their boss told them to. Most people are keeping their mouths shut about it at work, too, for fear they’ll be told to stop.

The hype cycle will fade over time, but this isn’t going away. If anything, we’re still in the very beginning of the adoption curve.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Actual integration into businesses is going to take a lot longer than most suspect. Maybe products will be mature enough to permanently alter hiring priorities by the time the economy warrants the next hiring boom, but I’m doubtful it will be a major disruption. MS Copilot will be an interesting integration to follow (on the data  analysis side) purely due to the ubiquity of Excel, and so far, it has a long, long way to go.

An interesting anecdote. As of late last year, Amazon Transportation’s Risk Analysis division was not using any M/L or AI product.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tsg68:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74968/IMG_1633-3214684.jpg

Hello, Police?

Yes, I'd like to report a murder....
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:34:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Racer_X] [#26]
Arfcom Tech Crew: how's AI been treating you?
View Quote

I'd say Google's been treating the whole world pretty good for over 25 years, politics aside.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#27]
was going extremely well until my state got the vapors.  now the agency on hold.  i can't blame them, but it also sucks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#28]
It is not as good as a lot of excited people seem to think. It can do a few things okay but not professionally. For instance creating a simple project dashboard, given all of the criteria, Microsoft Copilot, Gemini or GPT fail to produce. You should see the silly stuff they come up with. It is comical but in a sad kind of way.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:05:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blaster32] [#29]
As far as daily impact, the chatgpt stuff has really driven copilot in vscode for me.  It helps stubbing out classes or automated tests.  Not perfect, but pretty good and saves me time.  I spent some time doing this https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-use-chatgpt-as-an-interactive-rpg/  super interesting and fun
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By @ChuckD05:
View Quote

Please tell me you are not using Firefly. That thing sucks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I have been writing stuff in python.  Nothing fancy but you can do a lot with a LLM, langchain and a vectorstore.  It gets really interesting when you incorporate agents.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:34:19 AM EDT
[#32]

I’m working on figuring out a way to do 24/7 audio recording on my person, with the goal of building a true personal assistant.

Obviously, I’m not going to be sending those data off to OpenAI or something, so it’s all being done locally. At the moment I’m using llama3 (via Ollama and LangChain) to index all of my inbound and outbound digital conversations. That’s working well, but I’m going to have to end up buying an A100 or something, so I can run the 70B parameter models, and probably set up a processing pipeline for transcription so I don’t have to store all those files. I’ve tested it by running test files through vosk; the results looked terrible when I tried to read back through them, but when I fed it into the LLM for summarization, it actually did really well.
View Quote

I’m doing something similar.  I have access to lots of recorded phone calls.  Right now we are letting it learn.  We’re running these files through a sentiment analysis to help it learn response prompting based off the sentiment scoring.

The short term goal is to replace our off shore workforce with an assistant that can actually do level 1 triage.

So far in a real world setting the AI assistant is getting more positive sentiment scores and actually providing resolution faster than the off shore workforce.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Drebin7] [#33]
On the latest GPT I have access to, you can upload images and apparently gif clips showing examples of something you want it to do, and it might be able to code it or interpret data from the image. It can also pick up data from uploaded images and put it into tables that it can generate, etc. I uploaded an image of a graph I was working with and it was able to read the graph from the jpeg, identify all of the units and parts of the graph, and make some insights on the data and trends. The graph was very minimalist with some dates and the plots were just visual dots with lines and it did a good job interpreting these.

I use it to help write CSS and analyze scripts.

The text to voice built into it is also really good and it's better at talking than probably most scifi movies predicted AI would sound "in the future". It's kind of eerie.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#34]
What AI? Did some program pass a Turing test? Or are you talking about an adaptive code language?
And no I don't agree with the common nomenclature garbage. Pluto is a planet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:05:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#35]
I don't use it at work.

I'm not a programmer, but it's helped me with creating scripts for simple tasks.

I tried using it to help with programming a hand wired macro keypad/radial encoder I soldered up with a Raspberry pico.
ChatGPR was of limited utility.
I did find chat gpt to be pretty useful a few times for proofreading my code

I consulted a forum specific to KMK and used the output from MU and some example code. I even posted a thread about it here.

Long story short, forums, actually using the IDE properly, and online documentation and example code helped me get my little project completed.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got a buddy who's a tech writer, and he unironically gloats about letting ChatGPT do his job.  

I hope he's got a really good investment portfolio. Hopefully in things AI-related.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#37]
Originally Posted By hound:
What AI? Did some program pass a Turing test? Or are you talking about an adaptive code language?
And no I don't agree with the common nomenclature garbage. Pluto is a planet.
View Quote
If Pluto is a planet... then we actually have way more planets to add to our solar system than just Pluto based on the expanded definition required to include Pluto. If Pluto is not a planet... there are only 8.

There are way way way more trans-neptunian objects that actually fit the criteria of planet more closely than Pluto. If Pluto is a planet...than so must all thise TNOs.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#38]
This is why I don't trust AI enough to do any real work.  It spits out straight up garbage sometimes.  Its not the fact that it is wrong, but the fact that they have designed it in a way where it is confidently wrong.

AI just makes up garbage from time to time.  Its not worth my time to have to go back and check behind it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I had my first good (well, not bad...) experience with an AI chatbot today.

I installed Malwarebytes Premium on my Mom's Win7 computer today.  It wouldn't run unless I booted into Safe Mode.

The chatbot asked me a few questions that seemed quite relevent.  After replying affirmative to them all it recommended that I uninstall the current version, and install the legacy version, giving me a link to that download (thanks!)
The license activation was painless with the legacy version.

I had another issue with a .dll call, but a quick google search said to reinstall, and make sure automatic updates were turned off.

Once I did that it started working perfectly.

My previous experiences with chatbots have been nothing but frustration.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I've used the Bing AI image one for fucking around and a little for work and it hasn't been bad.

I also use a custom AI tool at work to help with Capture and Bid&Proposal work. This one's a little more hit or miss. You have to be really careful what/how you have it do things and it works better in smaller manageable chunks or it will just spit out a bunch of nonsense. A lot of that is also because a lot of the docs I try to shred/respond to from the government are hot fucking garbage. I've had to coach one of our junior guys to be more careful when using it as he will just rip and run and it will just be pages of hot smashed assholes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm using AI to create images that are eventually cut on my plasma table.   Create image>modify in inkscape >make toolpath from image in sheetcam, then cut.    Copyright free content is making my life way easier.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
I haven't directly used AI much, but I am really annoyed at how the top web searches for almost any tech topic are almost always AI-generated garbage that are so wrong it's not even funny.
View Quote

this is what i hate. and its gonna rule the internet. searches for tech questions used to take you to forums where other folks had your problem. sometimes very nuanced obscure stuff. now the various chat systems grind through the internet and present answers. i dont mind a answer system, but i really hate the nothing but answers with few links. supposedly google is going to eventually replace news articles with the info from the articles themselves. little or no links, just answers. its downright evil.

look at it this way. say you are just getting into firearms, you are interested in ar15s. you go looking for a good source of info about ar15s. google simply answers your ar15 questions. you cant find arfcom. the forum is now obscured by google (and bing etc). there is more to the internet than just answers. but whats happening is the google god is gonna boil the entire internet down and present it to you pre-digested for your (lack of) enjoyment.

AI has its place. it is good for a lot of things. but replacing sources of info with processed info only sucks big time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jms92] [#43]
I just used Chat gpt to write a final for my class. I was very impressed with the multiple-choice questions. it created this final in under 30 minutes.

It is horrible for students who like to cheat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By APEMANWITHFERALDOG:
I'm using AI to create images that are eventually cut on my plasma table.   Create image>modify in inkscape >make toolpath from image in sheetcam, then cut.    Copyright free content is making my life way easier.
View Quote

Ohhh, that’s a good one.

I’ve done a ton of vector art in the past to make decals on my vinyl cutter, and recently helped my local high school set up their 4x8’ plasma table. I’m going to have to play with that. It’ll probably be easier than teaching them how to use Inkscape.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Ohhh, that’s a good one.

I’ve done a ton of vector art in the past to make decals on my vinyl cutter, and recently helped my local high school set up their 4x8’ plasma table. I’m going to have to play with that. It’ll probably be easier than teaching them how to use Inkscape.
View All Quotes

Ohhh, that’s a good one.

The youtube channel logos by nick has great inkscape tutorials.    I have no graphic design background,  only cad/cam.  He helped a lot when I was getting started.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#46]
My entire team uses it daily.  It's a complete game changer.  People who have no idea how to do a specific IT or software task can get enough information to complete that task.

I have both a semi-approved version I use regularly and several local models I run for personal use.  We're going to be deploying local models to do automatic translation of Fortran, if we can ever get the hardware to do it.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#47]

The youtube channel logos by nick has great inkscape tutorials.    I have no graphic design background,  only cad/cam.  He helped a lot when I was getting started.
View All Quotes

Ohhh, that’s a good one.

My problem is that the people I’m working with have no background in this sort of thing at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Booray] [#48]
Until a model can reason well, agents are where it's at.

CrewAI or AutoGen for example.

Create multiple agents with specific backgrounds/skillsets and give them an AI manager.  

They can resolve problems/bugs/meandering/hallucination/etc on their own then.

Also, using tools in CrewAI for example, you can have the AI talk to any API.  Google search, weather, stocks, Joshua, whatever.  No need to be bound by "I cannot access the internet and I was made in 2022".

It fixes a LOT of what's currently a crapshoot into something that can actually produce real work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#49]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#50]
No offense to anyone, but this thread is a huge filter for who knows how to use AI and who doesn’t.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top