Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2022 9:07:19 AM EDT
When I shut water off at any faucet, etc. After 5+ second my pipes start humming and I can feel the main inlet vibrating. I believe this is water hammer. Psi at hose bin is 90. I can't find a regulator anywhere in my house or outside. I'm wondering if I never had one? The water comes in vertically through the basement slab. Would the best place to install a regulator be vertically where it comes in? Seems like they are always horizontal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a plumber but if it happens after 5+ seconds I'd say you do have a regulator somewhere, and it's failing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, classic prv failure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#3]
90 psi, holy shit bro
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
90 psi, holy shit bro
View Quote
I work for our water utility and 90 is as low as we get. On the east side (down hill slope) of town it's up around 120 even after we break it with big PRVs lol
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#5]
My PRV is vertical. Doesn’t seem to be an issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Anywhere else I should be looking for it? Glanced in my crawlspace but didn't see it there, that's also on the opposite end from where the water comes in. Didn't see one outside on the meter. There's the main shut off outside the house but the cover has a 5 sided bolt head on it so I'm thinking that's for city use and not to touch. Basement is finished so I hope it's not behind a wall
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anywhere else I should be looking for it? Glanced in my crawlspace but didn't see it there, that's also on the opposite end from where the water comes in. Didn't see one outside on the meter. There's the main shut off outside the house but the cover has a 5 sided bolt head on it so I'm thinking that's for city use and not to touch. Basement is finished so I hope it's not behind a wall
View Quote

Probably behind a wall. Usually they install an access panel. Generally it is within the first few feet after coming into the house. My brothers was the furthest I've seen...his was tucked between two joists about 20' away from the wall in which it came in.

Should look like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
90 psi, holy shit bro
View Quote

Do you even power shower, bro? Flow limiters removed and 85 PSI makes for a great shower experience.

We keep ours at 85 PSI. Hose bibs are street pressure, right at 120psi.

You need all the pressure if you want your 5000 sq ft sprinkler to actually cover 5000 sq ft.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Check valves are typically horizontal.  Pressure regulators can be mounted in any position.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a ceramic disk faucet that would cause a hum howl pipe shake in my house

it was a cheap model with no repair parts available

i think the water pressure was jetting past the disk and causing a sympathetic vibration in the pipe work

when it started, you could open the valve and shut it and it would seal and stop the tone hum

eventually I replaced the faucet
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Probably behind a wall. Usually they install an access panel. Generally it is within the first few feet after coming into the house.
View Quote

This has been my experience.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you even power shower, bro? Flow limiters removed and 85 PSI makes for a great shower experience.

You need all the pressure if you want your 5000 sq ft sprinkler to actually cover 5000 sq ft.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
90 psi, holy shit bro

I think we are maybe 35 psi, I'd have to check
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That shower must feel like a dog peeing on your back.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Could definitely be a prv or dual check valve.

Any faucets dripping?  Several times over the years, I've had wonky faucet stems that would show other weird symptoms like that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Could definitely be a prv or dual check valve.

Any faucets dripping?  Several times over the years, I've had wonky faucet stems that would show other weird symptoms like that.
View Quote

Nothing dripping. In fact, if you crack a faucet a bit it makes the noise go away
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Running about 40psi here.

City use to have it higher but they have reduced the psi to save the water pumps.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nothing dripping. In fact, if you crack a faucet a bit it makes the noise go away
View Quote

Do you have an expansion tank?

If you do, it's likely a regulator issue as the pressure and hammers would otherwise be dampened by the expansion tank. Assuming the tank hasn't failed. The bladder in them can pop and fill with water which is the same effect as having no tank at all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you have an expansion tank?

If you do, it's likely a regulator issue as the pressure and hammers would otherwise be dampened by the expansion tank. Assuming the tank hasn't failed. The bladder in them can pop and fill with water which is the same effect as having no tank at all.
View Quote

I haven't seen one. Unless it's behind a wall too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't seen one. Unless it's behind a wall too.
View Quote

WTF kind of house is this!?

Where is your water heater? It is usually next to it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WTF kind of house is this!?

Where is your water heater? It is usually next to it.
View Quote

Haha well the basement is finished. The water heater and furnace are in an unfinished closet of its own. But I don't see an expansion chamber or even a pressure regulator.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Haha well the basement is finished. The water heater and furnace are in an unfinished closet of its own. But I don't see an expansion chamber or even a pressure regulator.
View Quote

Then idiots finished your basement.

Hope that wasn't you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then idiots finished your basement.

Hope that wasn't you.
View Quote

Nope, bought it that way! seems a little cheaply done, so I wouldn't be surprised if the regulator is behind a wall. But that would mean the water heater and basement bathroom would be bypassing it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope, bought it that way! seems a little cheaply done, so I wouldn't be surprised if the regulator is behind a wall. But that would mean the water heater and basement bathroom would be bypassing it.
View Quote

So you can see the pipe come out of the foundation, and go straight to bath fixtures?

I think we need pics.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So you can see the pipe come out of the foundation, and go straight to bath fixtures?

I think we need pics.
View Quote

I will try to take some later but yup, strait to water heater and I belive Ts off the main pipe to the downstairs bathroom. Pretty sure there needs to be a regulator before going to anything really, right?
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Does code allow the prv to be sealed in a wall?
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does code allow the prv to be sealed in a wall?
View Quote

I'm not a pro but I'd assume access has to be available per code. Not to say anyone follows code when finishing a basement, especially as a weekend warrior.

OP, does the water come in the front of the house? Sometimes on older houses it's right after the shutoff outside between the house and street. Use a pair of channel locks or pliers on that Pentagon-head bolt. They are usually very short threads and not particularly stiff. You should have a 2-3' drop to the water bits. Generally there is a shutoff valve, and sometimes a meter and sometimes a PRV there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not a pro but I'd assume access has to be available per code. Not to say anyone follows code when finishing a basement, especially as a weekend warrior.

OP, does the water come in the front of the house? Sometimes on older houses it's right after the shutoff outside between the house and street. Use a pair of channel locks or pliers on that Pentagon-head bolt. They are usually very short threads and not particularly stiff. You should have a 2-3' drop to the water bits. Generally there is a shutoff valve, and sometimes a meter and sometimes a PRV there.
View Quote

Basement was coded. I can pull up the code on the cities website. I guess I can try opening it up. Just figured it wouldn't be in there since it didn't have a standard bolt head.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try shutting the valves to that sink and see if the issue changes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]

this is code for me
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Interesting. I definitely don't have one, but I've seen one at my neighbors house
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think we need pics.
View Quote

Was going to take pics but I ended up just buying a regulator. Cut the main pipe and put it in and so far no humming! Also my fridge water doesn't sound like it's going to fall apart when it shuts off. 45 psi at the hose bib. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was going to take pics but I ended up just buying a regulator. Cut the main pipe and put it in and so far no humming! Also my fridge water doesn't sound like it's going to fall apart when it shuts off. 45 psi at the hose bib. Thanks guys
View Quote

45. Psh.

Hope you don't like watering your grass. You just castrated your sprinkler.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#33]
You were fine at 90 psi.

I forgot to mention to check your toilet fill valves also.  I've had some screamers before.

Whatever the actual issue was, is probably a lot cheaper than a prv.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top