Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 11:23:43 AM EDT
I’m looking to use a pi 5 8gb board to build a security ip camera system.  It would manage and run up to 8 cameras and I would like to have a solar powered backup battery so if the power goes off it will still record and have web browser access to the recordings.  So could  pi 5 with 8gb have enough power to do this? The pi would be basically a nas that would have the ability to access each camera as well remotely control them like adjust panning focus and resolution.  The pi would have a onboard ssd drive to store the video/sound recordings and then after a period of time rsync (or what ever copying app) those files to either a cloud storage or offsite storage solution.  Has anyone done this before if so what were your results.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc8flb] [#1]
You are doing this all backwards. Determine your security needs and then build a system around your security requirements. A Pi is not a security requirement, it's a very low powered computing device that may or may not work (probably won't be powerful enough) to run your security system built around your security requirements.

The only things I see about PI security systems is integrating one camera with the Pi. Thats not a very good security system.

Look at Blue Iris which is the king of DIY home IP camera systems. It only runs on Windows, but you can use a intel box that supports quicksync for accelerated video transcoding.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
ok thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GraboidHunter] [#3]
Not powerful enough.  Recording video, especially at 4K with motion detection, takes a fair amount of processing power and memory.   My Blue Iris system that is running 6 1080p @ 15fps cameras is an AMD 5900x with 32GB RAM.   Runs about 50% CPU and 50% RAM, depending on how many remote devices I am watching it on.  16TB hard drive keeps about a week's worth of footage.

Also recording multiple video streams to a SSD will wear it out pretty fast.  I've tried.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top