Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2020 1:05:32 PM EDT
I am,  ColaBro Coruscant.  

MTB, Road, Hike, Crossfit (when the gym is not a china virus dispensary), Running.

Been using it since the late 00s or so when it first came out.  

Hit me up for a follow.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Not anymore. Killed my account.

https://blog.strava.com/podcast/rachel-mckinnon/
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have it and use it but trying to find an alternative since their recent pandering.

The REI app has promise but can't track worth a flip (and they pander too).
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Y'all do know that cycling and endurance sports in general tend to attract liberal nuts.  

I have never looked at the blog shit, the politics or the likes of the company but assumed they were nuts.  

meh, a decade of data I am not ditching because the company panders.  Hell, gun companies pander to us and if you missed that point you aren't paying attention.  

I do not support BLM, ANTIFA, dudes with balls racing in women's sports etc. but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy keeping track of my data and endurance sports in general.

I do support the scientific evidence for global climate change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, but I don’t really want to post my account name.

I use it strictly for tracking miles on my bikes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
We have (had?) an Arfcom Strava group and in previous riding seasons had threads tracking our rides.

I haven't even sat on my saddle this year. Sucks.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Y'all do know that cycling and endurance sports in general tend to attract liberal nuts.  

I have never looked at the blog shit, the politics or the likes of the company but assumed they were nuts.  

meh, a decade of data I am not ditching because the company panders.  Hell, gun companies pander to us and if you missed that point you aren't paying attention.  

I do not support BLM, ANTIFA, dudes with balls racing in women's sports etc. but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy keeping track of my data and endurance sports in general.

View Quote

It seems to be a split, typically, cyclists are pretty masculine and it is a masculine sport when racing at a competitive level.

I use garmin connect for my tracking.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I actively use it, but wish there was a good alternative. I stopped paying for summit when they decided to "focus on black athletes". How in the hell is exercise tracking different from one race to another race? I gave them the reason why when I canceled, but probably got discarded as a racist.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried it, but the gps tracking was way off so it's pointless to me since that's all I wanted to use it for.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#9]
@ErikS  How old is that Cannondale?  I haven't seen a HeadShok in years
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It seems to be a split, typically, cyclists are pretty masculine and it is a masculine sport when racing at a competitive level.

I use garmin connect for my tracking.
View Quote

Very true but manly men can be liberal on occasion.  

Go mountain biking and you see tons of Subarus with liberal stickers on them along with pickups with punisher skulls.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@ErikS  How old is that Cannondale?  I haven't seen a HeadShok in years
View Quote

Still going strong.  I have around 50hrs on it.  I like it best at about 115psi.  

I got the bike in a like new condition, so it has plenty of hours left.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried it, but the gps tracking was way off so it's pointless to me since that's all I wanted to use it for.
View Quote

The best way to use it is linked to Garmin Connect and use a Garmin device. I use a Fenix 5x and speed sensor. It is very accurate. GPS sucks for mountainbiking. Too many tight turns that get cut out of the equation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The best way to use it is linked to Garmin Connect and use a Garmin device. I use a Fenix 5x and speed sensor. It is very accurate. GPS sucks for mountainbiking. Too many tight turns that get cut out of the equation.
View Quote

I use it with my iPhone. The sampling has gotten much better. For slower speeds I think it samples the gps more often which helps reduce clipping on the mtb.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Strava does funky things with the track - even at 1 second GPS polling it cuts mileage. From some reading, it seems to be a combination of the gps track plus initial segment mileage. So if the segment mileage is off, or the trail has changed, it doesn't honor the actual GPS track from your phone app.

Example, my local trail was originally 7.4 miles (full lap segment). It was expanded and became 8.1 for a while (new lap segment), then more work to become 9.1 miles (2020 lap segment) as confirmed with multiple Garmin devices. Strava on my phone would only give me 8.5 miles max for the 2020 segment, so cutting half a mile per lap.

Ok, no big deal....but two laps would cut 2+ miles instead of the expected 1 mile. A 23 mile ride per my buddy's Garmin was only 18 on Strava tracked with my phone.

I bought a Garmin Edge 530 and use it now to track the rides and then upload to Strava. The only reason I use Strava now is gear tracking, which is a feature Garmin Connect has but I can't enter existing mileage for the bike/components.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I use it but I'm fed up with it..

it seems to lose every 20+ mile ride I do, recording with either my watch or my phone... hit finish "strava crashed continue activity"
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Odd, zero issues for me using an iPhone 7.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh I forgot about this one....

Last year on a ride in Chattanooga, the trail crosses the timezone boundary a few times. Strava recorded a 14+ hour ride that day....

It was actually only 4 hours total. You could see in the gpx file where the time would increase and then decrease by an hour. Strava support wouldn't fix it. I didn't get any PRs that ride
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh I forgot about this one....

Last year on a ride in Chattanooga, the trail crosses the timezone boundary a few times. Strava recorded a 14+ hour ride that day....

It was actually only 4 hours total. You could see in the gpx file where the time would increase and then decrease by an hour. Strava support wouldn't fix it. I didn't get any PRs that ride
View Quote

You obviously didn't hit 88mph.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You obviously didn't hit 88mph.
View Quote

it thinks I did 146mph once.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

It may be the device and not the app.  Some of those android watches can have sketchy GPS.  

I tried it with a Fitbit Versa and it sucked bad. I gave the Fitbit to my wife.

I need to get a Garmin, they are noted for being pretty good.

You can see 4 rides on the same trail. Pretty close tracking.  The distance differences are within reason for a MTB trail.  Small turns and different lines can have an affect.  Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#21]
galaxy watch is Tizen OS.

it does the same random shit if I track it with my pixle phone.

If I track it using the samsung fitness app, it never has a problem. however I don't use it often as its fucking annoying as hell "one mile completed, heart rate 135, speed 8mph" fuckin every half mile.

for the most part its fine, but when I get to those over 20 mile rides, especially out at that particular area (lots of very tight turns, twisty trails)
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is no scientific evidence for climate change. The topic is so politically charged no facts can be trusted, and nobody shares raw data.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top