Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2022 12:02:49 PM EDT
I've been listening to audio books and hiking, and it's next to godliness. Just sweating, hydrating, looking out at the lake, and listening to Hemingway. My hike is about 1.5 hours plus 40 min of travel time so I get a lot of exercise in and a lot of books listened to. Three times a week and it comes out to 4.5 hours of exercise and I pound out one classic per week.

I've knocked out these in the last six weeks:

The Road
The Alchemist
Catcher in the Rye
Brave New World
The Sun Also Rises

I used to belong to a health club and hated the elliptical and staremaster (misspelled on purpose). Even with music or entertainment I couldn't do more than 15 minutes. I also find classic books to be quite a labor to read through but audio books make them a lot more enjoyable. I actually look forward to my exercise now and it doesn't feel like work.

I even got a Jeopardy question right the other day!

In a Paulo Coelho novel,
a 200-year-old who can
transform base metals into
gold.

So give it a try and knock out two birds with one stone. The books mentioned are all available on youtube as audiobooks. Plus many more so if you are a cheap bastard too, you are gtg.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer a light jog every morning but recently I started seeing a guy around town just walking around briskly with hiking attire on. He'll stop at a bench every so often and step up on it repeatedly like a stairmaster then go about his walk. I might try that since all the good hiking spots are too far for a daily travel before work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to get to trekking on out myself.
Sounds pretty good OP.
Continue to enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Hiking has helped me lose a lot of weight, and finally kick the BP meds habit. I lost, and kept off 4-5lb after hiking a 38mi trail some years back.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I do this when cycling a boring ride. Currently hearing Entitled - How Male Privilege Hurts Women by Kate Manne.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Been hiking every weekend for the past couple of months. It feels great! Clears the head and you get in shape. An added bonus is trying out your gear to see how it performs in various weather. Oh and the beauty of being out in the wilderness! So get off your ass you fatties!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Watch out for mountainbikers
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the audio book angle.

The boy and I have been working at the shop together for the summer and there is a nice 2mile loop on our way home with a nice amount of elev change. So I have someone to talk with. But if I were alone, that'd be a cool way to cram stuff in my brain at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I do this also. It's just so hot here during the summer you have to really watch your hydration. When I day hike, I typically use a weighted pack.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do this when cycling a boring ride. Currently hearing Entitled - How Male Privilege Hurts Women by Kate Manne.
View Quote

She's a cutie
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Would love to do that, but gotta keep an ear out for bears and moose.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Would love to do that, but gotta keep an ear out for bears and moose.
View Quote

I was thinking similarly. Hiking with earbuds in sounds like a decent way to get fucked up. This was just a couple miles from me.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/10/mountain-lion-stalks-trail-runner-for-six-minutes
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been listening to audio books and hiking, and it's next to godliness. Just sweating, hydrating, looking out at the lake, and listening to Hemingway. My hike is about 1.5 hours plus 40 min of travel time so I get a lot of exercise in and a lot of books listened to. Three times a week and it comes out to 4.5 hours of exercise and I pound out one classic per week.

I've knocked out these in the last six weeks:

The Road
The Alchemist
Catcher in the Rye
Brave New World
The Sun Also Rises

I used to belong to a health club and hated the elliptical and staremaster (misspelled on purpose). Even with music or entertainment I couldn't do more than 15 minutes. I also find classic books to be quite a labor to read through but audio books make them a lot more enjoyable. I actually look forward to my exercise now and it doesn't feel like work.

I even got a Jeopardy question right the other day!

In a Paulo Coelho novel,
a 200-year-old who can
transform base metals into
gold.

So give it a try and knock out two birds with one stone. The books mentioned are all available on youtube as audiobooks. Plus many more so if you are a cheap bastard too, you are gtg.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rgWZaYGwEdI/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Who is King Midas?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

She's a cutie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a cutie

Do you think you could fuck the stupid out of her?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Catcher in the rye = overrated garbage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was thinking similarly. Hiking with earbuds in sounds like a decent way to get fucked up. This was just a couple miles from me.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/10/mountain-lion-stalks-trail-runner-for-six-minutes
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qvrqngkl730/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#17]
You can't fix stupid but you can fix fat.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I like to go for a hike/walk with the HF backpack radio. I can play radio and it's a good workout.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Watch out for mountainbikers
View Quote

Lol - good one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have really embraced suffering.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Do people who read AND listen to books, is your recall as good with both or less with one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#24]
When I hike, I enjoy the scenery. A little background music might be OK (in earbuds) but nothing that distracts me too much from enjoying nature.

However, audiobooks would be welcome for indoor cardiovascular exercise. Especially at a gym where the screens are tuned to soap operas or "reality" TV.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty tame compared to Jung's Modern Man in Search of a Soul or Roxan Gay's Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do people who read AND listen to books, is your recall as good with both or less with one.
View Quote

It's about the same once your brain gets exercised to hearing complex ideas. Sometimes I go back to re-listen or make a note to look up a spot in the ebook. Cntrl-F gets to the spot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Good for you OP.

Up here hiking like that without ALL your senses on full alert is how you end up as a predator turd.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I've tried audio books, I can't retain them.

I have to read them or it's just background noise.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#29]
You should be able to read the Catcher and Brave New World in an afternoon by themselves. The same afternoon.

Hiking is good, though.
Top Top