Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 11:45:32 PM EDT
I always wonder the status mental state of people at a stoplight.

When you are at a stop light and behind another vehicle do you remain completely stopped during the duration of the traffic light change? Or are you a 'creeper' in which every 2 to 3 seconds you gradually move/creep an inch forward in attempt to move forward knowing damn well there's another vehicle in front of you and you're not going anywhere.

I guess for those creepers, mentally by moving an inch every few seconds it kind of resets their brain and erases the thought of them being stopped at a red light.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
87% of GD are creepers, but not in the way that you mean.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Stopper.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave enough room between vehicles for evasive maneuvers
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The the car/cars in front of me move. I will move, otherwise I am stopped.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer to be a stopper, but if the dude in front of me keeps creeping, I have to move eventually.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Stopper until I see the other light turn orange then I start creeping.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I stop.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I sometimes roll ahead once the light changes. If I am feeling tactical I try to leave enough room that I can turn around if a train or something holds up traffic and I have to get out of there.

Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I was taught this. Same thing when you’re in the drive through.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stopper until I see the other light turn orange then I start creeping.
View Quote

You spelled "yellow" wrong
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You spelled "yellow" wrong
View Quote

It's pronounced "amber."
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I stop, unless the cars in front of me move up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I always think of creepers as impatient pricks. Especially the ones that are at the stop bar waiting for the light to change and end up half way out in the intersection before it does. Then the SOB that seems to be in such a hurry won't go over the speed limit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I stop, leaving enough room to get around but not anymore than that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Stopper

Retired

No rush to be anywhere

lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Stopper:

Creepers suck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Learned this lesson back in the 90s during an attempted carjacking.

I also keep my doors locked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys stop for red lights?!

Lame.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#20]
TLC - Creep (Official HD Video)

Creep
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The the car/cars in front of me move. I will move, otherwise I am stopped.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I stay stopped, and I leave a sizable gap. I will creep if the vehicles in front of me eventually move a substantial distance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Fucking hate creepers.
You're not going to make the light change sooner you fucktards.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#24]
My foot is off the gas, but if enough vehicles stop behind me, I’ll let go of the brake and I might roll a bit.

(Manual transmission for the younger folks)
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#25]
creep your distance
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I stop.  I hate creepers, as I see them come up to the light that they just saw turn red, and then instantly begin to creep, like the sensors detect them and the light programs rush the other lights to change faster because by god, this person obviously has somewhere to go and NOW!!  I've seen the creep their vehicle past the stop line and almost out in to the intersection.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:24:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Stopper. Creepers are usually stoppers too, but they don't stop until the light turns green. That's when they stop, and look around before going. Stupid and annoying.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:28:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I stop.

Sometimes still while the light is green.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Stopper. I'll get to where I shouldn't go any further forward and stop. The new truck has start/stop, which doesn't work well if you're constantly creeping.

It's odd, people who creep. You're not going to get anywhere any faster. I once counted 13 creeps from one guy at a light once. Just ever couple seconds, he'd creep forward a few inches.

What's odd is when a creeper goes slow AF once the light goes green. It's like, dude, you wanted to GO so badly, but then when you can, you don't want to GO?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Stopper (stick shift).  Being a creeper would put unnecessary wear on my clutch.

Also if I'm at a light I know the timing of I stop about 10-15 feet short of the line so I get a rolling start as they turn green.  Then you beat everyone off the line cause you're already rolling into the intersection as it turns green instead of just pressing the gas.   And most of the time I try to keep an eye 100+ yards down the road at cross-lights to time up my stop lights so they're green by the time I get to them.  It's far more efficient and less shifting to coast several hundred feet up to a light and then not have to stop at all rather than to keep driving full speed right up to it before hitting the brakes (only to get a green light like 10 seconds later).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:18:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Stop unless I have to catch up to a bunch of creepers.

Now, if no one is in front of me... Full stop, first gear, clutch in, bring revs up to about 3k and wait for the tree.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Stopper. Why creep? It won't get you where you're going any sooner.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#36]
When I drive, I just do whatever I want as long as it's not unsafe or impeding others' progress. That's really all I owe my fellow motorists.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I always wonder why the hell people speed up towards red lights, just so they can brake hard to stop.

In fact I almost posted a thread about it the other day.

Are we related, OP?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I always wonder the status mental state of people at a stoplight.

When you are at a stop light and behind another vehicle do you remain completely stopped during the duration of the traffic light change? Or are you a 'creeper' in which every 2 to 3 seconds you gradually move/creep an inch forward in attempt to move forward knowing damn well there's another vehicle in front of you and you're not going anywhere.

I guess for those creepers, mentally by moving an inch every few seconds it kind of resets their brain and erases the thought of them being stopped at a red light.
View Quote

Creeper, it always seems to help trip the sensor at “smart lights”.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fucking hate creepers.
You're not going to make the light change sooner you fucktards.
View Quote

What do you think makes them change? Why can a motorcycle go after a minute of no cycle? (Not heavy enough to trip sensor)

Dumbasses. https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/how-does-a-traffic-light-detect-that-a-car-has-pulled-up-and-is-waiting-for-the-light-to-change.htm
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I stop tactically.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#41]
A “creeper” to me is the car in front of me as we approach traffic stopped ahead of us, and he/she/it makes an initial stop 40-50 meters before the last stopped vehicle, then creeps 5 meters and stops, then creeps 5 meters and stops, etc. etc.

The creeper’s inbred relative is the “slow roller”, who sees a line of cars stopped at a light ahead and slows to 5 mph to avoid having to make a full stop at all. Hey, fuck all those people behind me, right. I’m leading this motorcade.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Depends.

My car is a stick and there's a light I hit on my commute with a long steep uphill approach.  It often gets backed up and everyone creeps forward.  I've taken note from the big rigs and attempt starting with a big enough gap that I never stop.  I just idle up the hill in first.  With everyone constantly creeping forward and bunching up, it usually works.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#44]
LoL, I see the OP is feeling better and back to creepy AF shitposting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Stopper plus room
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I really want to start a server. The drama was just too much... Adults were worst than the kids.

One of these days I'll pick my brother's brain.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I brake stand, guess that makes me a stopper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

No it doesn't.

Quoted:

What do you think makes them change? Why can a motorcycle go after a minute of no cycle? (Not heavy enough to trip sensor)

Dumbasses. https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/how-does-a-traffic-light-detect-that-a-car-has-pulled-up-and-is-waiting-for-the-light-to-change.htm
View Quote

It has nothing to do with weight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't.

Quoted:

“There are all sorts of technologies for detecting cars -- everything from lasers to rubber hoses filled with air! By far the most common technique is the inductive loop. An inductive loop is simply a coil of wire embedded in the road's surface. To install the loop, they lay the asphalt and then come back and cut a groove in the asphalt with a saw. The wire is placed in the groove and sealed with a rubbery compound. You can often see these big rectangular loops cut in the pavement because the compound is obvious.”

Never said it was JUST weight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top