Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 11:12:54 AM EDT
The billion year old black and decker toaster oven I have finally died. I have a small kitchen and this was great because it was one of the hanging under the cabinet models to free up some counter space. I can't find any on Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, and even looking at the one model black and decker lists on their site it looks like it hasn't been available in years. Did fire codes or something finally catch up with this type of product?

For those of you blessed with a large kitchen and ample counterspace this is what I'm talking about:

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Fire hazard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Those appear to be bringing good money on ebay.

I think B&D was the only company to make those.

Anyway, I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to come up with a way to mount almost any toaster oven under a cabinet.  I think you could probably have some steel or aluminum bent into a u shape to fit a regular toaster oven and mount that under a cabinet.

Or, just get one of the ninja ones that sits on the counter but flips up and out of the way when not in use.  Just be aware that they are pretty spendy compared to B&D small appliances.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fire hazard.
View Quote

Idiots installing them incorrectly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Take it to a repair shop. Best bet is to find one with a little old guy in a tiny cluttered storefront, he can fix it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
But where does all the heat go?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Everyone is going the air fryer route now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out eBay.

They have some that are new in the box for serious dough.
Also some new, open box items listed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
My house came with an oven.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#10]
There was a recall on some of those many years back. Send them your cut cord and they mailed you a refund.

My sister still uses hers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#11]
if its dead, you have nothing to lose.  carefully take the cover off and clean the temp dial control contacts.  it has isolators and blades that engage adding power to the elements.

you may also see a wire connection that overheated (contact resistance) and burned.  clean it up and reconnect.

good luck!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
To the same place Q's indictments are stored.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
if its dead, you have nothing to lose.  carefully take the cover off and clean the temp dial control contacts.  it has isolators and blades that engage adding power to the elements.

you may also see a wire connection that overheated (contact resistance) and burned.  clean it up and reconnect.

good luck!
View Quote
I'll probably pull it apart just to see. It's just old and gross. I mean it was old and gross when I bought the house 15 years ago but it works great for heating up small stuff. I was hoping to UPGRAYEDD to something newer/nicer but I guess hanging toaster ovens have been cancel cultured out of existence.

Maybe I can make a new one and call it a "convection kitchen radon filtration unit" and get them made again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fire hazard.
View Quote

^^^This
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Made my own hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#18]
That is old school now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Check the overstock and any stores that buy discontinued items. I got my last one at Ollies. But that was probably 6-8 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Black and decker looks like they still make one, may be out of stock due to COVID?

https://www.blackanddecker.com/products/small-appliances/kitchen/toasters-and-ovens/spacemaker-underthecabinet-4slice-toaster-oven/tros1000d

but if you want to up your game, get a breville countertop model. Kicks the ass of the black and deckers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It goes into the toast.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Cherry 2000, quite the reference pic!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everyone is going the air fryer route now.
View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I would be extremely leery of an appliance that gets that hot, that close to wooden cabinets. Not to mention the possibility of grease igniting within inches of a kindling source.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Im thinking about getting this.  Can eat hot dogs all day long.  With ex catsup

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would be extremely leery of an appliance that gets that hot, that close to wooden cabinets. Not to mention the possibility of grease igniting within inches of a kindling source.

But that's just me.
View Quote
It's a scary world out there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It goes into the toast.
View Quote

"So if you put bread in, and toast comes out, where does the bread go?"
~Joe Biden (2020)

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd bet more setting flammable stuff on fire in it be more likely. Hard taco shells and the like are very easy to ignite. I had to chuck a counter top toaster oven out the back door once because of it. If it had been an under cabinet one I'd have been grabbing for the fire extinguisher!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd bet more setting flammable stuff on fire in it be more likely. Hard taco shells and the like are very easy to ignite. I had to chuck a counter top toaster oven out the back door once because of it. If it had been an under cabinet one I'd have been grabbing for the fire extinguisher!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the hell did you set a taco shell on fire in a toaster oven?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Those appear to be bringing good money on ebay.

View Quote

I just checked ebay and holy crap, those old toaster ovens are going for way more than I thought.

I've gone one that is hardly ever used since we got an air fryer and the wife is constantly nagging me to throw out the old toaster oven.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that it is caused by the oil in them spattering and getting on heating element. Many hard taco shells even have a warning on the box not to heat in toaster oven.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#34]
They stopped making them in the late 90's when Black and Decker had to do a recall of 200k ovens.

The recall notice says at least 242 fires were recorded, which is a pretty high failure rate.

A lot of them were never replaced despite the recall. They are absolutely a fire hazard, because the heat from the oven emits right under a cupboard full of potentially flammable items.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1998/cpsc-black-decker-settle-toaster-lawsuit-improve-recall-remedy

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Turn it on, apparently...

There is a lot of oil in them. You can use corn chips for fire starter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Im thinking about getting this.  Can eat hot dogs all day long.  With ex catsup

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2B6QFVFD6L.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They stopped making them in the late 90's when Black and Decker had to do a recall of 200k ovens.

The recall notice says at least 242 fires were recorded, which is a pretty high failure rate.

A lot of them were never replaced despite the recall. They are absolutely a fire hazard, because the heat from the oven emits right under a cupboard full of potentially flammable items.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1998/cpsc-black-decker-settle-toaster-lawsuit-improve-recall-remedy

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That sucks. I can definitely see how you can set shit on fire with that model compared to the bigger size I was wanting to replace in-kind though. That smaller horizontal one has an open/eject button and there's not a metal shield like the one I have that the toaster mounts to, and not directly to the cabinet, that protects the cabinet underside from heat/flame. Plus everything is crazy close to the heating elements and it doesn't look like there's a tray/pan that sits on the grates to keep things from falling directly into the elements like mine. You  can look at the photo below of the Optima that was recalled and compare it to the one in my OP of what I have and see the major design and safety differences.
The toasters are being recalled because they can allow food to catch on fire, and when the toaster door automatically opens and the food rack extends beyond the door, flames from the food can escape the unit and expose kitchen cabinets and their contents to the fire.

RIP Gas can nozzles and suspended toaster ovens that weren't designed by idiots. Ye were gone before your prime.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Lmao, I'm going to die because I put taco shells in the toaster oven.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Were under cabinet toaster ovens ever really a thing?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#40]
In other news, guns are dangerous
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My house came with an oven.
View Quote
I never use an oven
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In other news, guns are dangerous
View Quote
What if my gun discharges in my under-counter toaster oven while I'm trying to heat it up to take outside in the cold so my hands don't freeze when my 3-wheeler tips over and all the gas pours out and I have to refill the tank with my non-epa gas can?

WHAT THEN!?? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't think I've ever even seen one of these actually hung in a house. And I remember Montgomery Wards and Service Merchandise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top