Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2023 10:50:52 AM EDT
I have an opportunity to get a recumbent exercise bike relatively cheap, but wondered if it's even worth the hassle. I'm looking for a cardio addition to my home gym for crappy weather. I usually walk outside every day, but rain and snow sometimes get in the way. I plan on getting a rower later this year also for what it's worth.

Do recumbent bikes have any redeeming qualities for cardio, or they just an old person's way of getting a little bit of exercise in?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
They're useful if you're older, overweight, lack stamina (just getting started), or have joint pain.  Something is better than nothing.

In terms of calorie burn, there are more efficient machines: spin/upright stationary bike, rowing machine (a good one), stair stepper (even better).
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, when I use it it seems to do pretty good.

Think of it as a Bike with a reclining tractor seat...

At least with mine, its programmable and you can change the programing to simulate steeper grades, more resistance, etc, etc...
My exwife bought it, I somehow got it in the divorce. Seem fair as I bought it and use it more than her.  It put it in the basement near a tv.  Turn on something interesting and go to town.  I often ride it a half hour or so on lunch when I can go home.

Funny thing, the Ex, when she rode it, she always set it to zero resistance.
WTF???I'm like you might as well just set the cruise control and coast it for a few miles.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a recumbent trike that I have a set of rollers for so works indoors and out.

It's like riding a recliner around. What's not to love?

Easy to watch TV while exercising, and isn't a literal PITA.

I like mine (I actually have two).
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I've known several people about middle aged with bad/screwed up backs that can't ride anything else. The only problem was they would almost get run over all the time without one of those dunebuggy whip flags on them because they were so close to the ground. I can't imagine how long you would live today with all the tall pickups with giant hoods and beds.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The few times I tried one at the gym, they seemed like they would chafe your ass if you did any kind of a workout on one

Might hit some lower abs though
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Would you use it?  

Yes = Useful  

No = Not Useful

It's really that simple.  When asked about the best cardio exercise my answer is always, whichever one you'll actually do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I ride a recumbent bike. Unlike a regular bike, there's no wrist pain, no neck pain, no seat pain. It's awesome...like riding in a recliner.

As long as you actually use it, you'll get cardio out of it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Because of my vertigo from a brain tumor I cannot ride a bike anymore. My recumbent bike can kick my ass some days. Programable for type of ride and resistance makes it interesting. Watch tv when ridding. Had it for 2 years and ride it every other day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top