Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2022 11:58:27 PM EDT
I have a couple of 30+ year old MTB I want to get rid of.  One of them was tier two back in the day with Shimano XT components and such.

Is there any collector interest in these sort of rides or should I just put them out on the curb?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:
I have a couple of 30+ year old MTB I want to get rid of.  One of them was tier two back in the day with Shimano XT components and such.

Is there any collector interest in these sort of rides or should I just put them out on the curb?
View Quote
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Bikes 2 yrs old don't have much value for some odd reason. I bought a Venge a few yrs ago. $13k new. 3 yrs old I paid $3k. Bought a $12k Tarmac 2 yrs old for $2500 w/ brand new top of the line Sram. My 2008 S-works MTB was around $8k new. Today it's not worth $1k.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt it's worth much. Try a few forums and see what you can get.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
No way am I putting my Zaskar(XT/XTR) out to the curb. Rare, high spec bikes do have some value. If nothing else the vintage components can bring good money on eBay. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I've wondered that about my 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

I just found one on ebay for $1,100.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I still ride my 1993 Schwinn Moab.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
There’s some interest in old steel frames, especially if it was US made
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't really care about getting money (i.e. eBay part out).  I just don't want to be that guy who scrapped a highly sought after piece.  (Sort of like the folks who crushed muscle cars in the 80's.)

I think I'll try just putting them on the curb with a free sign before they go in the take to the dump pile.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I don't really care about getting money (i.e. eBay part out).  I just don't want to be that guy who scrapped a highly sought after piece.  (Sort of like the folks who crushed muscle cars in the 80's.)

I think I'll try just putting them on the curb with a free sign before they go in the take to the dump pile.
View Quote

What kind of bikes are they and where are you at?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:
Attachment Attached File
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:
What kind of bikes are they and where are you at?
View Quote

The one with the XT components is a welded aluminum frame Raleigh.  The other one is a Trek.  Circa 1988.

I'm in the PNW.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:13:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Beyond some titanium frames and limited run downhill frames... no
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TxAthlete42:
Bikes 2 yrs old don't have much value for some odd reason. I bought a Venge a few yrs ago. $13k new. 3 yrs old I paid $3k. Bought a $12k Tarmac 2 yrs old for $2500 w/ brand new top of the line Sram. My 2008 S-works MTB was around $8k new. Today it's not worth $1k.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt it's worth much. Try a few forums and see what you can get.
View Quote

In the bike world, I hate to tell you Specialized bikes are mass produced over priced junk and the high end components saving you a few grams of weight on it are consumables.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]

The one with the XT components is a welded aluminum frame Raleigh.  The other one is a Trek.  Circa 1988.

I'm in the PNW.
View Quote
The 1988 Trek might be worth something to the right person.  I paid $200 for a 1984 Trek frameset with a few original components on it.  It built up to a fabulous bike that is the functional equivalent of a Rivendell Atlantis, which is a multi-thousand dollar bike.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I put an old Specialized on Craigslist and had it sold in a couple of days.  I couldn't believe it.  Guy was giddy as could be.  Didn't even haggle me on price.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
I put an old Specialized on Craigslist and had it sold in a couple of days.  I couldn't believe it.  Guy was giddy as could be.  Didn't even haggle me on price.
View Quote
There is most definately a market for the right vintage MTB's.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Nobody really wants an old Raleigh or Trek. Old Schwinns like the Homegrown and MoaB as well as Kleina and for some reason GTs are sought after as are brands like Tomac and Litespeed.

The Schwinn Homegrown markers is nuts
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dino1] [#18]
Attachment Attached File

Got this Ti Nukeproof in a trade and ended up building a 22 pound single speed cruiser. I’m in a single speed group that rides twice a week. No gears allowed.

DXR cranks, China carbon fiber forks, WI Eccentric Eno hub on the rear.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:03:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#19]

View Quote

Depends on the model, but maybe.  For example, the old, steel, non-sprung Rockhopper / Stumpjumpers go for some crazy silly prices, because people want the frames for conversions to gravel or touring bikes.  Even before COVID, I'd see them go for $300-$400.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:46:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: streetstar] [#20]
Like everything else -- it depends .     The pile of vintage XT parts from your old Raleigh are worth more than the whole bike alone

But vintage bikes are a popularity contest ----- for example:

Yeti Pro Fro   - Worth a lot ..........

Marin Eldridge Grade  - Not worth a lot --- despite similar build spec, 22 lb weight  and a superior frameset (Tange Prestige vs. Yeti mystery metal )

Bridgestone MB-6    - lower end bike thats likely worth more than the MArin despite being 6 pounds heavier due to Bridgestone name recognition

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#21]
$50 on offerup.

I just got a 2000 Cannondale for free. Judy shock, XTR everything, even hubs, new tires. Rides like dogshit. Really only good for riding down the sidewalk to the corner store.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Phobby:

In the bike world, I hate to tell you Specialized bikes are mass produced over priced junk and the high end components saving you a few grams of weight on it are consumables.

View Quote

Please elaborate with specific examples/comparisons to what you consider not to be mass produced over priced junk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Specialized are actually a pretty good deal. Their S-works frames are like 20% cheaper than other company's top of the line carbon frames.
Top Top