Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 4:44:19 AM EDT
I opened an old NTSB accident investigation file to a Plane my Father once owned that sustained "substantial damage" when it nosed over during a landing.  I searched the number and it had last been registered in 2011...now this Plane I presumed was a total loss back in 1974

Did someone ostensibly salvage this plane and it's still registered/Flying, or was the registration reused for another like aircraft?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:51:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I think N numbers are fluid and swapped around or reassigned on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you do an FAA N number lookup?

hope this helps in your search
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
recycled.

My Long-EZ  N85PK   is now a HAWKER 900XP.

Long-EZ had a hanger collapse on it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Recycled a lot ,
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
This site offers a lot of information:  http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=147034

I ran the number out of curiosity, and upon seeing it coming up as a recently active registration I thought "holy schitt! I thought Dad's Plane was destroyed when Leon wrecked it....looks like it wasn't!"
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This site offers a lot of information:  http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=147034

I ran the number out of curiosity, and upon seeing it coming up as a recently active registration I thought "holy schitt! I thought Dad's Plane was destroyed when Leon wrecked it....looks like it wasn't!"
View Quote

It may have been destroyed.  All you need is the data plate to rebuild a plane, and continue it's existence.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Recycled a lot ,
View Quote

True, in a former life my employer paid $40k to swap tail numbers from a Baron to GV.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The King Air I used to fly was N771PA. Before that that registration was for a Pan Am 747.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My plane has had the same N number for 75 years.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
My old Aztec's N-number now belongs to a Diamond DA62.

The Aztec was crashed in the Bahamas; not sure if it was the guy we sold it to or someone else.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My plane has had the same N number for 75 years.  
View Quote

Mine too!

Well, one of them anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I opened an old NTSB accident investigation file to a Plane my Father once owned that sustained "substantial damage" when it nosed over during a landing.  I searched the number and it had last been registered in 2011...now this Plane I presumed was a total loss back in 1974

Did someone ostensibly salvage this plane and it's still registered/Flying, or was the registration reused for another like aircraft?
View Quote

Likely you can simply look up what kind of plane was in the accident or at the very least its serial number. N numbers are fluid.

N Numbers can be changed by the owner. Honestly it is a pretty simple process as far as the owner/operator goes. AWC is no fun, but the rest is pretty easy.

The new number might be anything, including something that was used before as long as it is not currently in use.

I did an N number change on a Citation to a number that was previously held by a Hawker.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was getting my instrument rating, I was bored one day and looked up the tail number for one of the planes I was using. It was a 172 and the tail number listed an accident on a different 172 that had crashed into a mountain back in the 70’s.

It was clearly not the same plane.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
1941 Alliance OH a brand new 1941 BF65 Taylorcraft was sold and picked up by an Ohio flying club on the Friday before Pearl Harbor. I owned it in the 60's and 70's. Recently found a picture of it flying in Wisconsin.

Still has the same N number N39111 it left the factory with in 41 but licensed as a BL-65 because of an engine change.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1941 Alliance OH a brand new 1941 BF65 Taylorcraft was sold and picked up by an Ohio flying club on the Friday before Pearl Harbor. I owned it in the 60's and 70's. Recently found a picture of it flying in Wisconsin.

Still has the same N number N39111 it left the factory with in 41 but licensed as a BL-65 because of an engine change.

View Quote

If I remember the numbers right, I'm the 26th owner of my 46 Champ.  It started at a flight school in Michigan, and lived in 13 different states.  It was owned by 4 different Air Force base fight schools, including Barksdale, Warner Robins, Mcconnell, and another I can't remember.   N number never changed.

For about $6, you can get a CD from the FAA, with a scan of every piece of paper they have on your plane, all the way back to the day it was born.  And they have it all.  I found it rather interesting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I remember the numbers right, I'm the 26th owner of my 46 Champ.  It started at a flight school in Michigan, and lived in 13 different states.  It was owned by 4 different Air Force base fight schools, including Barksdale, Warner Robins, Mcconnell, and another I can't remember.   N number never changed.

For about $6, you can get a CD from the FAA, with a scan of every piece of paper they have on your plane, all the way back to the day it was born.  And they have it all.  I found it rather interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The irony is that I can look at all or it for free.

You'll pull it up and sometimes see STC's and 337's from before you were born.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think N numbers are fluid and swapped around or reassigned on a regular basis.
View Quote

Yup. One of our members here flew this tail number, on a commuter jet.

LSA18033 Spraying by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup. One of our members here flew this tail number, on a commuter jet.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48548029262_71fecd3996_b.jpgLSA18033 Spraying by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

My absolute favorite helicppter to ride in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top