BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you look in the background, you can see her house. The yellow one. It matches the bike.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you look in the background, you can see her house. The yellow one. It matches the bike.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think OP is referring to handlebars that have your hands and arms above shoulder level.  That is the way I know most people I know define it in their minds.  Bars that are high, but have the arms level or lower than shoulder level; I don't call them ape hangers, just high or raised bars.

The whole reason for the term is that the user looks like an ape.....hanging from a branch....  Racist, I tell you,....racist....

But seriously, folks...  The pic you posted above, I would never call ape hangers.

Unless I was riding it with my wee leprechaun size and had to reach up to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think OP is referring to handlebars that have your hands and arms above shoulder level.  That is the way I know most people I know define it in their minds.  Bars that are high, but have the arms level or lower than shoulder level; I don't call them ape hangers, just high or raised bars.

The whole reason for the term is that the user looks like an ape.....hanging from a branch....  Racist, I tell you,....racist....

But seriously, folks...  The pic you posted above, I would never call ape hangers.

Unless I was riding it with my wee leprechaun size and had to reach up to them.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/w19_jjJCLBI/hqdefault.jpg

I have a picture of me next to that bike, somewhere. He came into Denney's HD in Springfield, MO, when I worked there, so that would have been something like 2000-2004. Considering the MODOT sign in the background of the other pic, he's regional to the area.

The bike was parked and I was standing next to it and the handlebars were over my head. I'm 6'2". I'm so glad I didn't have to push that thing onto a lift, not that our ceiling was tall enough to lift it much.

And people run ape hangers because it's like power steering for motorcycles.
View Quote
Thats the dumbest fucking thing I have seen recently, lol.   None of us who are proponents of properly sized ape hangers would try and imply that bullshit is comfortable
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it's illegal in FL for your bars to be above your shoulders.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure it has something to do with providing storage for ball peen hammers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.
Fags on fag bikes belong on fag bikes, Harley riders beat the fuck out of fags on fag bikes.

A warning for you fags, don't go and try to hang with real bikers and knock our bikes, if you don't like em we believe it, you don't belong on one anyway.

And don't come up for a hog roast on yer fuckin ring-ding pile of metric shit and start yelping about how great your bikes are.

We don't want to hear it, if you don't like apes, well fuck you, we don't care.
View Quote
This is awesome. A biker calling everyone else Fags. It's like a tranny bitching about how his boyfriend dresses.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is in SD as well, or at least was.  Sure as fuck isn't enforced.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Who wouldn't want to be a true American icon like this specimen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you sure about that...….I saw a lot of them out there a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Ape hangers suck. They suck bad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Put them on a rigid sporty for maximum suckage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Put them on a rigid sporty for maximum suckage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Like anything else......people get carried away. I like them about shoulder height......
View Quote
Yep.  Mine are a little shorter, maybe about 8".  More comfortable on longer rides on my 'glide.

Didn't know you rode, SS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you sure about that...….I saw a lot of them out there a couple of years ago.
View Quote
Yeah a buddy of mine got dinged for it a few years back.  It's completely ignored for the most part though, especially during the rally.  It may have been repealed recently though.  Thought I heard something to that effect, but haven't confirmed it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought that to be the case as well. Google tells me the law was changed in 2015.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]
They suck so bad, arfcom pulled a double tap just in case you missed the post.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Fucking ape hangers
I've been riding since I got a dirt bike when I was 5. So far I have had dirt, enduros, go fast straight, canyon carvers, cruisers, and I'll even admit to a moped once.
But, none have had or will ever have those stupid ass ape hangers.

The worst visible physical damage I have seen in person from a bike wreck, short of gray matter, was to a guy that nailed a K5 blazer that pulled out in front of him, seeing his hand sticking out of the top of his forearm with bones hanging out because of his stupid bars was nasty.
He lost pretty much all function of his right hand and a girlfriend in that wreck. She slid over him and hit the fiber glass shell on the K5 so damned hard it took it half way off the truck.
She didnt look all that bad but apparently she was DRT, that's how hard they hit. All because the guy had to turn left in front of them.

I dont care what kind of bike you ride, keep your heads on a swivel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#22]
He must be an adventure rider.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fucking ape hangers
I've been riding since I got a dirt bike when I was 5. So far I have had dirt, enduros, go fast straight, canyon carvers, cruisers, and I'll even admit to a moped once.
But, none have had or will ever have those stupid ass ape hangers.

The worst visible physical damage I have seen in person from a bike wreck, short of gray matter, was to a guy that nailed a K5 blazer that pulled out in front of him, seeing his hand sticking out of the top of his forearm with bones hanging out because of his stupid bars was nasty.
He lost pretty much all function of his right hand and a girlfriend in that wreck. She slid over him and hit the fiber glass shell on the K5 so damned hard it took it half way off the truck.
She didnt look all that bad but apparently she was DRT, that's how hard they hit. All because the guy had to turn left in front of them.

I dont care what kind of bike you ride, keep your heads on a swivel.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
I had to make that a couple of months ago in one of our last HD bashes...
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very much this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the height.  Med or lower height apes can be very comfortable.
Very much this.
I understand those, the head height and above, not so much. The hands up don't shoot ones are nothing more then a road hazard.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.
Fags on fag bikes belong on fag bikes, Harley riders beat the fuck out of fags on fag bikes.

A warning for you fags, don't go and try to hang with real bikers and knock our bikes, if you don't like em we believe it, you don't belong on one anyway.

And don't come up for a hog roast on yer fuckin ring-ding pile of metric shit and start yelping about how great your bikes are.

View Quote
You have been visited by the virtual ball peen.  If you don't reply to this thread your mom will die in her sleep tonight.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ape hangers.

Pants down below the ass.

Affliction T-shirts.

Larue Hats.

All minor variations of peas from the same pod.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cured the neck and shoulder pain I had with heritage bars in my 09 RK. 17" Carlini's were perfect. Did 750 miles in 1 day and had no pain. YMMV
View Quote
The real question is how was your ass? Slightly numb or completely numb?

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll take..

"Why worry about what other people do with their lives for $500.00 Alex"
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
i dont really care what people ride.  just try to keep up
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I thought that to be the case as well. Google tells me the law was changed in 2015.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think it's enforced here either.

FL has pretty relaxed laws when it comes to cars & bikes.

No emissions testing and I don't think there are exhaust noise regs (if they exist they are not enforced) among other things.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Part of the problem here is that there are 12" apes on up. 12"-16" many find more comfortable. But people like the OP only consider the ridiculous ones to be apes.

Just like the people running 16" rails, 22"+ rims, lift kits, lowered pickups, etc. Some people do it for function some do it for looks. Who gives a shit?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Cured the neck and shoulder pain I had with heritage bars in my 09 RK. 17" Carlini's were perfect. Did 750 miles in 1 day and had no pain. YMMV
View Quote
thats why I used them. neck and shoulders were much better off. I went shoulder high with the bars.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I run my apehangers at about 1" below shoulder height. Without a doubt, the most comfortable riding position ever. Anything above shoulder height is a ticket if they want to pull you over.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its damn easy to keep up with anyone. Maybe not some folks on a track, but I don't ride a track.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who subtracts 50 IQ points from whoever is riding a bike with them?

75 points if they're above shoulder height.
View Quote

I totally agree.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
You better slow your roll bud.

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#44]
They're functional

Blows the lice out of the arm pits
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My brother-in-law has a Sportster with hangers on it.

It's not even remotely comfortable and the mirrors are nearly useless.

So I don't know why, other than for looks.

Edit: every time I ask him to go on a ride, he always says he's still dealing with an oil leak
View Quote
This could be true, in a way.

Maybe you should circle back and make sure his bike isn't parked at your house soon after you've left.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ahh, they help lift the saggy boobs.  That I can get behind!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ahh, they help lift the saggy boobs.  That I can get behind!
I didn't think of that!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Subterfuge. Distracts from the fact you wear a bandana to cover the bald spot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Have your own ride and live your own life.. BUT

If you dick up the riding geometry of a perfectly good motorcycle for purely aesthetic purposes, i'm going to judge you.

Head-high apes, rediculous foot rests, gigantic front wheels, super extended/raised front forks,  dropped/slammed suspension, yeah i'm probably gonna chuckle a little bit as I ride by.

I ride a DR650 on road and a KLX250 off
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You have been visited by the virtual ball peen.  If you don't reply to this thread your mom will die in her sleep tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top