Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2020 9:25:12 AM EDT
My buddy is USAF and works with this stuff. He says it is nasty and in spite of PPE and rules about working with it outdoors of with ventilation, sometimes it is not possible. He gets out in a few years and is worried that later in life he might get cancer or something from exposure to this stuff. Should he be concerned? How should he document his use and exposure to this solvent in case he has to fight the VA for a service connected health issue?

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's the same stuff we had in the Navy then it's a great aircraft cleaner.  It removes warts too!  Not kidding.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is the Safety Data Sheet

Sounds like a mixture of all kinds of crazy shit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#3]
In the early 70s Turco was some stout stuff.  One night we were wiping down our aircraft on the hangar deck with Turco/water in a bucket and rags.  Got some of that shit in my eye.  That did not feel good.  Had to do the eye wash station thing.

Before I retired in 92 it seemed Turco was not as strong as it used to be.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is the Safety Data Sheet

Sounds like a mixture of all kinds of crazy shit.
View Quote

The Trichloroethylene is strong stuff. I had a bottle of it back in the 1960's. Dark brown glass bottle. Anyway, I poured some out into a small jar, set a plastic Q-tip or similar swab in it. Went to do something else and came back to no swab, just cotton bits in the solution.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.

What should my guy do to document his exposure to this stuff?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks.

What should my guy do to document his exposure to this stuff?
View Quote
Is this guy trying to set up a game of "gotcha" with the military?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is this guy trying to set up a game of "gotcha" with the military?
View Quote

If you got cancer or had a kid with a birth defect because you were forced to use a nasty solvent without being able to follow safety protocols, would you?
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In the early 70s Turco was some stout stuff.  One night we were wiping down our aircraft on the hangar deck with Turco/water in a bucket and rags.  Got some of that shit in my eye.  That did not feel good.  Had to do the eye wash station thing.

Before I retired in 92 it seemed Turco was not as strong as it used to be.
View Quote

Seems like there are several kinds of "Turco". A phosphate based washing solution (listed as a corrosive) and a solvent that has Trichloroethylene and some other ingredients (listed as a carcinogen and inhalation hazard).

From our conversation, he is using the solvent variety.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
This whole thing smells of something worse than solvent.

(just my opinion)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top