Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2020 9:32:42 PM EDT
I'm getting back into computer games and my current setup is tailored more towards my work environment.  I have a Macbook Pro that I use two 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays.  It's nice, as the resolution of each is 2560x1440, so I've been spoiled on the DPI and image quality.  However, they are not great for gaming as the refresh rate is limited to 60Hz and the pixel response time is well over 10ms.

I'm looking at are these two monitors:

Samsung 49-Inch CRG90 Curved Gaming Monitor
Samsung CJ89 43" Curved UltraWide 3840 X 1200

The top one has pretty much all the bells and whistles and I'm sure I'd like it.  My desk situation will accommodate either just fine.  The CJ89 has a bit lower DPI than both my current setup and the CRG90, but I think it's close enough that I can live with it to get a curved single monitor setup.

I do have a gaming computer (with AMD 5700, so yeah, FreeSync) and my Mac for work, so I like that the UW displays both have the ability to act like a KVM, natively.

I've read up on a lot of reviews and I am 95% sure, I will go with one of these.  I am looking for practical feedback from anyone who uses an UltraWide 49" single monitor for a daily-use system for work and occasional gaming - and wondering if there are things I've missed that the online reviews don't cover for the hour they spend with the monitors.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a 35 inch curved monitor and it feels like I am in a mech when I play mechwarrior, I think a 49 inch would be crazy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a 35 inch curved monitor and it feels like I am in a mech when I play mechwarrior, I think a 49 inch would be crazy.
View Quote

The 34-35" ones, while more affordable, won't replicate what I have in two monitors right now, and getting two 34-35" ones with same spec's will be more expensive (and tedious to use with 2 computers, since no kvm) than the 49" one.

Since I have the desk space, the 49" option was appealing to me.  I am very close to pulling the trigger on one, but was hoping to get some real-world experience from someone who actually uses one on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
How long will it take our eyes to evolve into a fixed focal length?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got two of the 34" curved in a vertical format (for work, not play) and I really like them.  The larger ones weren't available when I got these or I may have gotten them.

However, one of the things that I have found most useful is the dell display manager tool where I can break up the displays into multiple virtual ones and snap windows into different configs.  Definitely makes it easier to work with.

For a single monitor gaming setup the large curved should be awesome.  Take a hell of a graphics card to push it though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got two of the 34" curved in a vertical format (for work, not play) and I really like them.  The larger ones weren't available when I got these or I may have gotten them.

However, one of the things that I have found most useful is the dell display manager tool where I can break up the displays into multiple virtual ones and snap windows into different configs.  Definitely makes it easier to work with.

For a single monitor gaming setup the large curved should be awesome.  Take a hell of a graphics card to push it though.
View Quote
That's one of the things I like about these options, is that you can use the one 49" monitor as two separate monitors with one or two computers - or a single monitor.  I'm envisioning that, generally speaking, I would be gaming in a lower resolution than the native resolution, or using 1/2 of the monitor for gaming.  I say that now, but I like having the options.

The 43" monitor is not specific for gaming, but it has pretty much all the same features as the 49" one other than FreeSync.  Both are 120Hz refresh, both are VA screens, both have good response times that are less than one-third of my current dual 27" Apple TBD's.

I'm tempted to order both from Amazon and return the one I don't want...  it's not like I can go down to a BestBuy and see these in person.  Hmmm...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Following up, I went with the 49" Samsung CRG9 and love it.  Been using it for about a week now and no real complaints.  Just upgrading the monitor from my Apple Thunderbolt Displays has increased the gaming FPS, I'm assuming because of the monitor's response time and refresh rate.

BTW, the monitor is BIG.  It's HUGE.  This is certainly not a monitor that will fit on everyone's desk, but I do really, really like it.  Resolution is 5120x1440 and games are incredible in that format.  I've played Fortnite and Dying Light.

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Love mine
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you think of the 1440 versus a 1600? I was looking at a 38" ultrawide but liked the idea of 3840x1600.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do you think of the 1440 versus a 1600? I was looking at a 38" ultrawide but liked the idea of 3840x1600.
View Quote
I went with an x1440 because I didn't want to sacrifice any DPI that I was already used to having used the dual Apple Thunderbolt Displays for ~7 years.  I primarily work with multiple windows open side by side, so the Super-UltraWide makes more sense.  When you go with an x1600, you limit your options a bit more and as I get older, I didn't want to have to deal with the scaling options with monitors.

The biggest downside with this monitor, to me, is that it doesn't have the built-in KVM I mentioned previously.  While I can use the side-by-side modes (PbP) to see two computers on this one monitor, or switch between input sources and use the full screen, I have to use something like Synergy or ShareMouse to share my keyboard and mouse between the two systems.  Not a huge deal though - just would have preferred that they added that to the features of this monitor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top