Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2020 1:59:29 PM EDT
happened upon this one in the video.  Wouldn't mind having the ability to invert at home - have had chronic hip/back discomfort and have used inversion tables in the past with some measure of relief.  Wondering if I might get MORE relief using one consistently.

Have my cage set up in the living room (divorced and no one to tell me NOT to... ).  So this seems like a way to do it consistently without having to add another piece of equipment to the room.

Thinking I could probably rig the same thing up with some safety lanyards and a wide tow strap, but willing to buy a commercial one if the comfort of the resistance band vs other materials seems worthwhile.  Looks like the guy in the video is getting a full vertical inversion and easy in/out.

Spud Inc. Big Ray Strap Product Overview | elitefts.com
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
BRB, getting some cargo straps and my hockey helmet.

ETA No I haven't used that product, but that idea is awesome and I'm going to try to put something together.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
happened upon this one in the video.  Wouldn't mind having the ability to invert at home - have had chronic hip/back discomfort and have used inversion tables in the past with some measure of relief.  Wondering if I might get MORE relief using one consistently.

Have my cage set up in the living room (divorced and no one to tell me NOT to... ).  So this seems like a way to do it consistently without having to add another piece of equipment to the room.

Thinking I could probably rig the same thing up with some safety lanyards and a wide tow strap, but willing to buy a commercial one if the comfort of the resistance band vs other materials seems worthwhile.  Looks like the guy in the video is getting a full vertical inversion and easy in/out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rycWX6hkZa8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-wAIbb9XA
View Quote

Huh... that's actually a decent idea. Looks way easier to get in and out of.

Funny story:

When I was in middle school, my older brother bought a set of gravity inversion boots. I used to do chinups by placing a barbell across the tops of the double doors to the balcony. He figured he could hang from the bar the same way.

I came home from school after staying late 2-3 hours for basketball, and find my brother hanging upside down. His face is beet red, almost purple, his eyes are bloodshot and very weakly he says, "Help..."

I help him get down and ask how long he's been hanging upside down and he says "a couple hours".

Apparently, he tried on the boots, just barely managed to hook them on the bar, then after about 5-10 minutes, had enough, only to discover that he couldn't situp far enough to reach the bar to unhook the boots. He said he tried again and again until he was too exhausted, then just hung there waiting for someone to get home to help him.

After he recovered enough (he was close to passing out), I showed him how to 'climb' his own leg to reach the bar if he couldn't do a situp far enough to grab the bar that way. He said, "Damn... didn't even think of that".

I think that was the first and last time he EVER used those gravity boots.

Bet he'd have been all over this strap thingy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Does inversion work well?

My dad used to hang upside down in the garage from hock straps by his feet.

The first time I tried it both my knees popped and I felt nothing in my back.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It can... if you can relax enough for it to work. Most people tense up when they initially try it.

That's one of the advantages of a good inversion table; you can gradually work up to full inversion, but until you're comfortable with it, you can limit the inversion, which some people tend to find more comfortable and therefore, more effective (I've got one of the older Teeter Hangups tables, that I haven't used in a while since I got back to deadlifts).

If you can relax your back and allow gravity to do the work, it actually doesn't take much inversion. Having your head a little below horizontal produces gentle traction. Being completely inverted simply produces more traction.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It can... if you can relax enough for it to work. Most people tense up when they initially try it.

That's one of the advantages of a good inversion table; you can gradually work up to full inversion, but until you're comfortable with it, you can limit the inversion, which some people tend to find more comfortable and therefore, more effective (I've got one of the older Teeter Hangups tables, that I haven't used in a while since I got back to deadlifts).

If you can relax your back and allow gravity to do the work, it actually doesn't take much inversion. Having your head a little below horizontal produces gentle traction. Being completely inverted simply produces more traction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it have any noticeable effect if you don't suffer from back pain? Or is there any pre-hab reason to do it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does it have any noticeable effect if you don't suffer from back pain? Or is there any pre-hab reason to do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It helps with stiffness or pain, but as mentioned, once I finally was able to get back to deadlifting, I haven't felt a need to use my inversion table.

It can be relaxing to stretch your back, and can help relieve back tension you may not even be aware of, but there are various other things I can do for that, without having to drag out my inversion table and strap into it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a chiropractor and I approve this message.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely interested.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Greatly appreciate the info.  Thinking I might purchase just the band as I have some very similar safety lanyards for the rest of the setup, and maybe I can get some additional use out of the band.  If I do I'll post up my thoughts

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered, harness and band, $80 shipped.

I had an interest in trying an inversion table, but read they weren't advised for someone with a knee replacement.

Hoping this will yield some positive results.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had an interest in trying an inversion table, but read they weren't advised for someone with a knee replacement.

View Quote

That's a pretty great niche use that I hadn't considered...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Knee issues are one of the contraindications for inversion tables and gravity boots where you're suspended by the ankles.

There was a thread I didn't bookmark, about 3(?) weeks ago, where someone posted a portable traction device that you lay flat on. A potential consideration for some.

P.S.
I think this is it (or at least it looked identical)
https://orthobracing.com/products/saunders-lumbar-traction-device?variant=32861493624971&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=gs-2019-06-16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. Knee issues are one of the contraindications for inversion tables and gravity boots where you're suspended by the ankles.

There was a thread I didn't bookmark, about 3(?) weeks ago, where someone posted a portable traction device that you lay flat on. A potential consideration for some.

P.S.
https://orthobracing.com/products/saunders-lumbar-traction-device?variant=32861493624971&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=gs-2019-06-16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign
View Quote

Looks like the Dr Ho commercial (at least I believe similar).

$300 more than the harness/band (not to mention no "moving" parts with the band, so to speak), but can certainly understand those who are uncomfortably hanging upside down.

ETA: Dr Ho

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a pretty great niche use that I hadn't considered...
View Quote

One of the downsides.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#15]
That thing looks a hell of a lot easier to hang in than my gravity boots. Usually when I need them the worst is when I’m in no shape to get them hooked up on a pull-up bar. I may have to give this thing a try.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$300 more than the harness/band (not to mention no "moving" parts with the band, so to speak), but can certainly understand those who are uncomfortably hanging upside down.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FTQkAAOSwjQ9bUy7p%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P.S.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FTQkAAOSwjQ9bUy7p%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Not sure how the one you posted would work similarly.

The one I posted (although it's not easy to see from the product image) has 2 separate straps. 1 goes around the hips, the other goes around the lower ribcage/thoracic region. When you pump the system up, the straps slide apart. The more pressure you pump into the system, the further the straps slide apart and the more traction the straps apply.

Never tried one though, but there are product videos on YT.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the Teeter inversion table with the Dan Bongino discount.  It is awesome.  I have some spud gear, their pulley and the bow tie, and they are awesome as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Package delivered this AM. No instructions, as harness bag had been torn open at the bottom, so unsure if there were even instructions included? Went back to Spuds site, looked at pics, and figured it out.

Initially feels a little odd while inverting, with just a 4" band across the back. Not a big deal, and probably has more to do with my age, than anything else. My acrobatics phase ended years ago.

I spun back over to reposition the band lower on the hips. Felt slightly less awkward 2nd flip.

Hung inverted for 10 minutes. Wasn't really prepared for it (if that makes any sense), but couldn't resist the temptation to try it out.

One 10 minute session isn't enough time (naturally) to add any sort of opinion regarding results. I will say whole desing seems well constructed and simple to use.

Questions for anyone familiar with inversion use, or even medical professional advice anyone has to offer.... what's the suggested amount of time and frequency to hang? Not sure of this would have been included in instructions? Internet is all over the board, so would rather hear from someone here with actual knowledge/experience.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I go 3 to 6 minutes twice a day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for input!

Any particular reason for that, or simply what best fits schedule and "what feels best" in your situation?

I mean, would there any reason (for me) not to go longer?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my inversion table.

I couldn’t decompress my hips or donsitups with that strap.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for input!
Any particular reason for that, or simply what best fits schedule and "what feels best" in your situation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I go 3 to 6 minutes twice a day
Thanks for input!
That's what the instructions from Teeter say.  
They seem to have studied this stuff pretty hard for years.  
They constantly update their design, etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for input!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for input!

It will also depend on how easily/completely you can relax your back. Muscle tension in your back means your vertebrae won't experience as much decompression.

I think I mentioned it briefly in an earlier post. Most people tense up when they first try inversion, because a) it feels weird to be upside down, and b) depending on your back, it may twinge/ache when you initially try to relax to allow gravity to do the work.

That's why inversion tables where you can limit your inversion, work better for beginners. They can slowly increase the amount of inversion they're comfortable with, which makes it easier for them to relax their core allowing the spine to decompress.

Once you're used to it, and can completely relax tour core, though, as GLOCKshooter mentioned, even 3-6 minutes will do.

To start, I would AVOID going more than 15 minutes per session.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Having a knee replacement, I can't use a table. This was the only option for me, but would have preferred the table.

Quoted:
That's what the instructions from Teeter say.  
They seem to have studied this stuff pretty hard for years.  
They constantly update their design, etc.

Thanks!

Quoted:

It will also depend on how easily/completely you can relax your back. Muscle tension in your back means your vertebrae won't experience as much decompression.

I think I mentioned it briefly in an earlier post. Most people tense up when they first try inversion, because a) it feels weird to be upside down, and b) depending on your back, it may twinge/ache when you initially try to relax to allow gravity to do the work.

That's why inversion tables where you can limit your inversion, work better for beginners. They can slowly increase the amount of inversion they're comfortable with, which makes it easier for them to relax their core allowing the spine to decompress.

Once you're used to it, and can completely relax tour core, though, as GLOCKshooter mentioned, even 3-6 minutes will do.

To start, I would AVOID going more than 15 minutes per session.

When I hung in it earlier, I felt like I was fairly relaxed, however I'm sure it'll take me a couple more times to really feel comfortable in it.

I'll try it a couple times a day, maybe for a couple extra minutes per session to start.

Thanks for replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top