Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 10:18:17 PM EDT
Was thinking I should pick some up before it’s all gone but may have missed the boat already.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
These guys ship quick usually.
https://sleepinggiantbrass.com/45-70-brass
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
No love for once fired?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No love for once fired?
View Quote

Not really. Once fired is just range pickup brass. There’s no way to know if it actually is once fired or 10x fired. I occasionally load 45-70 pretty hot (like 400grs @ 2000fps) and so I’d like to know how many times the cases have actually been fired.

If I can’t find new brass anywhere I may get some used and just use them for light loads, but I’d rather avoid that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I think my local shop has some for like $1 a piece.  Is that a bad/good price?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Starline is out of stock. That's where I usually got mine. Luckily I picked up 500 pieces last year. That will do me a long time.

Damn. Everywhere is out of 45-70 brass. Look like you're out of luck. Like anything else reloading related. Should have jumped on it during the salad days.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think my local shop has some for like $1 a piece.  Is that a bad/good price?
View Quote

Damn, I've seen cowboy loads going for about $1.60 as recently as last week. You might as well buy those.

But not today. Came up empty looking. Damn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
A few months ago I bought several hundred when Midway ran a special on Starline at $50 ish  per 100 rounds...  Amazing how many people here just do not prepare and stock up on consumables .

I probably only keep 200 rounds of loaded 45/70  laying around , but I can easily load 5 times amount ..   Must be horrible for people  who didn't learn from the 5 other panics in recent history.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought 200 Starline cases from ACME Bullets a while ago, and 100 Winchester cases from Sportsmans Warehouse. Along with a few hundred 405gr coated. Already had a few thousand primers, and a bunch of suitable powders. Will look around for a mold in the near future. I can buy from a local casting company if need be.

Folks who are looking for ammo, components, firearms nowadays are late to the party. I know some folks may just be getting into firearms. But those of us who consider firearms a lifestyle, or enjoy firearms for sporting or self defense purposes, should have been, or did, stock up when funds were available on firearm related items for the last decade at least. I started back in 2006 when I moved from NJ to WY (military).
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of you guys should check your smugness before someone mistakes you for a Prius driver...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some of you guys should check your smugness before someone mistakes you for a Prius driver...
View Quote

Not meaning to come off as smug, but if you have been a "firearm enthusiast" for any amount of time, or have frequented this forum or any other firearms related forum in the last year or so, then you would have seen the warnings from folks of what was going to happen, and what has happened during almost every election cycle. Some folks may have just brushed those warnings off as overreacting, but now you are seeing the results of folks buying whatever they can, whenever they can, and whether they need it or not. Some folks buy to make a profit later on, others just buy stuff because they enjoy firearms.

I know some folks don't have the funds to always be buying guns, ammo, and accessories. But you've seen folks post the saying "buy it cheap, stack it deep", for the last few years. The salad days of cheap AR-15s is over. Guns, ammo, and accessories were plentiful not too long ago. Today's market is not one to be buying anything unless you absolutely need or want it and have the funds to purchase at panic inflated pricing.

With a firearm like a 45-70, the brass is not a massed produced product in the quantities such as 5.56, 9mm, 45acp, etc. It's not THAT common of a cartridge. So keep your eyes peeled, check all over the web every day, and snag what you can, when you can. Another option would be to post a WTB add in the EE looking to buy 45-70 brass. I'm sure someone would offer some up for a little more then what they paid for it back when things were kind of normal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Learning from the past and not making the same mistakes is not being smug. We should all strive to not be continually doing the same stupid things over and over again.  

These folks who didn't plan accordingly will know  better the next time .  

Hope you don't fall off that  pulpit giving everyone a sermon about smugness  ..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not meaning to come off as smug, but if you have been a "firearm enthusiast" for any amount of time, or have frequented this forum or any other firearms related forum in the last year or so, then you would have seen the warnings from folks of what was going to happen, and what has happened during almost every election cycle. Some folks may have just brushed those warnings off as overreacting, but now you are seeing the results of folks buying whatever they can, whenever they can, and whether they need it or not. Some folks buy to make a profit later on, others just buy stuff because they enjoy firearms.

I know some folks don't have the funds to always be buying guns, ammo, and accessories. But you've seen folks post the saying "buy it cheap, stack it deep", for the last few years. The salad days of cheap AR-15s is over. Guns, ammo, and accessories were plentiful not too long ago. Today's market is not one to be buying anything unless you absolutely need or want it and have the funds to purchase at panic inflated pricing.

With a firearm like a 45-70, the brass is not a massed produced product in the quantities such as 5.56, 9mm, 45acp, etc. It's not THAT common of a cartridge. So keep your eyes peeled, check all over the web every day, and snag what you can, when you can. Another option would be to post a WTB add in the EE looking to buy 45-70 brass. I'm sure someone would offer some up for a little more then what they paid for it back when things were kind of normal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate you didn’t intend to come off smug. I didn’t get caught with my pants down. I’m not out of ammo or components. In fact, I’ve probably got a lot more than most. I’m just realizing this drought is going to last a lot longer than I anticipated. I’m comfortable with a panic lasting a couple years. But I’m starting to worry a best case scenario is 4-5 years. Niche calibers are going to be the slowest to be replenished. So I figured I’d better stock up on a few of my favorites. I may already be too late for 45-70.

Drove around to 4 different stores today and none had any. I think I’ll still find some locally though. If not, I guess I’ll get some used brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fireform .40-65 brass.

View Quote

That’s actually a great idea but that’s out of stock everywhere too
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not really. Once fired is just range pickup brass. There’s no way to know if it actually is once fired or 10x fired. I occasionally load 45-70 pretty hot (like 400grs @ 2000fps) and so I’d like to know how many times the cases have actually been fired.

If I can’t find new brass anywhere I may get some used and just use them for light loads, but I’d rather avoid that.
View Quote

I sighted in 2 rifles this month with factory ammo.

Pretty sure I know it's once fired.  Point is, if you buy from someone, a little faith isn't bad thing.

I've seen a fair amount of cowboy loads locally, probably 10-20 boxes in the last few months.  You try just looking for new ammo?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
That link thorn posted has 5 boxes of 50ct mixed left. Not sure where they get their brass though.

45-70 brass will last a long time. I have about 4 loadings so far on 100 of my Starline brass, still look great. But I'm running 405gr trapdoor level loads, nothing crazy...i like plinking with the 45-70 and will shoot a 100 or more in a range trip. Winchester brass has a few loadings on 50pcs.

What I currently want, but don't really need, is a 45-70 Sharps of some sort. And was just about to buy one but Mom passed in Oct (paid for the cremation cause Sis wasn't able to), and Sister was killed in a tragic accident last Friday. Out in SoCal right now trying to get things squared away with their estate. Been a shitty few months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I was recently provided with 200 rounds of once fired FC 45-70 brass.  This was from a 45-70 bear class that required new factory ammo.  Good score!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#18]
There is going to be little to no components for sale for quite some time.  They are using them to manufacture ammo.  The ammo manufacturers are operating at 100% and they get priority for that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was recently provided with 200 rounds of once fired FC 45-70 brass.  This was from a 45-70 bear class that required new factory ammo.  Good score!!!!
View Quote

Did you attend that class? That would be interesting to hear a summary of.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Here’s some Starline 45-90 in stock I don’t know if you can just trim to length or not.  

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve always wondered why people buy brass rather than create it?

Maybe if you just got into a caliber and wanted all same headstamps/ lots for progressive?

If I shoot my brass and pick it up, I know how many firings it has.
Obviously indoor range nazis may play a factor but am genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That link thorn posted has 5 boxes of 50ct mixed left. Not sure where they get their brass though.

45-70 brass will last a long time. I have about 4 loadings so far on 100 of my Starline brass, still look great. But I'm running 405gr trapdoor level loads, nothing crazy...i like plinking with the 45-70 and will shoot a 100 or more in a range trip. Winchester brass has a few loadings on 50pcs.

What I currently want, but don't really need, is a 45-70 Sharps of some sort. And was just about to buy one but Mom passed in Oct (paid for the cremation cause Sis wasn't able to), and Sister was killed in a tragic accident last Friday. Out in SoCal right now trying to get things squared away with their estate. Been a shitty few months.
View Quote

I mean, I couldn’t bring myself to spend $1/ea for used brass but still... I’m surprised it moved so fast.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here’s some Starline 45-90 in stock I don’t know if you can just trim to length or not.  

View Quote

Thanks I may go that route if I rule out all my local options.

Quoted:

Maybe if you just got into a caliber and wanted all same headstamps/ lots for progressive?

View Quote

Because it’s cheaper to buy brass than loaded ammo. You also get to load it from the start with exactly what you want. This is particularly important with niche cartridges like this. Typical (before the panic) box of 45-70 would run around $40 for 20. But you could buy new starline brass for $43/100. Typical box of 375 H&H runs $60-100 for 20 rounds. But you can buy the brass for $53/50.

I’ve never actually bought factory ammo for either. Always just bought brass and loaded my own.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm conflicted about whether to sell some.  The way things are looking, I might have every rifle and every empty case and bullet I own loaded and ready.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fireform .40-65 brass.

That’s actually a great idea but that’s out of stock everywhere too

I'm conflicted about whether to sell some.  The way things are looking, I might have every rifle and every empty case and bullet I own loaded and ready.

Yeah, may be. Plus I think this is going to be a lot longer drought than most people realize.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#27]
UPDATE:

Cabelas has Starline in stock today! Get it while you can!
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/starline-unprimed-rifle-brass
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

makes sense, i usually try and purchase form a guy who buys all the brass from the rental ranges here. i know thats once fired, downside is the 556/762 is fired from a MG and can need some extra help sizing lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

View Quote

I got my 50.  About $1 per case, but 50 will last me a long time.  Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I got my 50.  About $1 per case, but 50 will last me a long time.  Thanks for the tip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
UPDATE:

Yeah, I'm used to paying about half that price but who knows how long the drought will last. I ordered a few packages.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

*WARNING*

I just want to warn anyone that wants to reload used/fired Hornady brass, the cases are about .030 shorter than standard brass.

They did this to accommodate the Leverevolution bullet.

Your die will hit the shellholder before it can make a crimp.

If you are successful in the crimp your overall length will be too short thus causing too much pressure.

Be careful and measure your used brass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because it’s cheaper to buy brass than loaded ammo. You also get to load it from the start with exactly what you want. This is particularly important with niche cartridges like this. Typical (before the panic) box of 45-70 would run around $40 for 20. But you could buy new starline brass for $43/100. Typical box of 375 H&H runs $60-100 for 20 rounds. But you can buy the brass for $53/50.

I’ve never actually bought factory ammo for either. Always just bought brass and loaded my own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh, I usually just load it after I choot it. But I may stop?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

*WARNING*

I just want to warn anyone that wants to reload used/fired Hornady brass, the cases are about .030 shorter than standard brass.

If you are successful in the crimp your overall length will be too short thus causing too much pressure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*WARNING*

You are correct. Those cases are problematic. That's not to say that can't be reloaded though. For example, you could use a Lee factory crimp die with a special spacer on the bottom to get the crimp right. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got 500 brass cases of 45-70 in the mail from Starline - backordered them on their website - took about a month to get them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just got 500 brass cases of 45-70 in the mail from Starline - backordered them on their website - took about a month to get them.
View Quote

They are no longer allowing backorders
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Starline brass is good stuff I've loaded them multiple times.  Not sure what else to add to this thread other than you are fucked if you don't have primers and brass.  Bullets are obviously easy to cast and lead and black powder are still available online so you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

View Quote

Awesome - thanks!  Have plenty on-hand already, and with a Ruger No 1 don't exactly do high-volume shooting.  That said, a hundred new cases is a great rainy day supply.

Pretty wild - Cabela's was literally going out-of-stock on stuff while I was browsing.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No love for once fired?

Anneal.

You will then only need to worry about primer pockets.

With the load you mentioned, you won’t get 10x

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Anneal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/9062B3CA-CDCD-42CD-A267-42EB031B7B16_jpe-1796650.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No love for once fired?

Anneal.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/9062B3CA-CDCD-42CD-A267-42EB031B7B16_jpe-1796650.JPG

I'd imagine case head separation would become an issue before I got to 10x. I think after 3 or 4 hot loads, it's probably best to only load them light.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You are correct. Those cases are problematic. That's not to say that can't be reloaded though. For example, you could use a Lee factory crimp die with a special spacer on the bottom to get the crimp right. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*WARNING*

I had a machinist buddy of mine cut down my die, about .075 if I remember right ??

When I load with that brass I set it up for OAL and then adjust to crimp.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

View Quote

Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top