Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2021 12:36:11 PM EDT
I might try it out.  any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I easily lost like 40hrs over the past week getting sucked into this game (4 day weekend and 2 snow days). Especially if you enjoy a light survival game with minecraft/ark level of building

I suppose I can recommend
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  I'm building a new gaming PC and want to start doing more PC games.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It is awesome.  Best $20 I have spent in a long time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#4]
hows the combat? watching other people play it makes me think i wont like it.... but so many people have been recommending it that i think i may cave and pick it up!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have only done PVE and I enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hows the combat? watching other people play it makes me think i wont like it.... but so many people have been recommending it that i think i may cave and pick it up!
View Quote

Combat is both simple and yet a bit involved. Typical damage types of slash, pierce, and blunt are in...along with certain mobs resistances.

Keeping your health up if in combat is vitally important. Base health is 25 and that can be gone in a hit or 2 if caught unawares.

With a weapon or shield, you can block/parry up to a certain amount of dmg depending on quality/type of shield and whats hitting you. Timing a parry stuns your enemy so you can get a couple hits in. Really figuring out attack tempo.

Can dodge or simply GTFO of the way of most attacks. Kiting can be done fairly easily. Poison sucks.

However, the scaling seems good enough that you can never let your guard down completely, except for starter areas. Getting multiple mobs on you can be very tough if you weren't prepared to fight melee and your health is down. Also you can't swing up or down elevation wise very well, so you have to move to where you're level with the mob.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Something no one has mentioned yet:

Death has consequences.  You lose 5% of your total skills across the board when you die.

5% of each skill, gone.  You have a death timer that prevents stat loss after death, but don't know how long it is.

I was at 84 bows.  I'm back down to 74 now, death sucks.  It takes a long time to skill up that high.

That said, I enjoy it. 67 hours play time since I bought it on last Thursday.  

It's early access, so not everything is implemented, but fun so far.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like I'll try this out when I get my computer build done
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you tame boars?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do you tame boars?
View Quote
My understanding is you have to lure them back to a pen and feed them mushrooms.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How do you tame boars?
View Quote

peanut butter
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My understanding is you have to lure them back to a pen and feed them mushrooms.
View Quote

LMAO!  did they get that from Hunter Biden?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I might try it out.  any thoughts?
View Quote
I got it.  I kind of like it.   One word of warning.  Make sure you have a spare set of gear.   You can eat up to 3 different types of food which give a huge increase to your HP.    If you die it's good to have gear to go get all your stuff back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do you tame boars?
View Quote
I penned a couple of them up and have been dropping carrots in the pen w/ them.  Now they're showing they're not wild anymore and have a piglet running around in the pen w/ them.  

One thing I discovered doing this.  It's easy to get one pig in a pen and close the gate.  Adding a 2nd pig makes it a whole lot more trouble as they run in and out.    I added corridor type section outside the pen w/ another gate.  Now I can have the pen gate shut, lure a pig into the corridor, shut the gate, and then wait for it to get inside the pen w/o the inside one running off.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Been playing it since it came out.  I absolutely love the game.  Survival with a goal is what I call it.

To improve skills you must use them.  

To learn new things you must find the resources first.  

The building aspect of the game is pretty good.

Fire will kill you with smoke inhalation so when you build prepare for that.

Have beds set up around the areas you plan to venture in so you can set a spawn point nearby and not have to travel by raft for 2 hours to get to your corpse.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]
So was just sailing along on my longship, about 10-15 min out from base, on my way to a new location. Only half paying attention cause I'm just sailing a fairly straight bit of coastline.

Hear a buzzing sound, glance up just in time to see a mosquito looking MFer spear me through the heart for a one-shot

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So was just sailing along on my longship, about 10-15 min out from base, on my way to a new location. Only half paying attention cause I'm just sailing a fairly straight bit of coastline.

Hear a buzzing sound, glance up just in time to see a mosquito looking MFer spear me through the heart for a one-shot

View Quote

Mosquitos will kill you 1 hit.

Even in full armor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mosquitos will kill you 1 hit.

Even in full armor.
View Quote

Food helps a lot there, but yeah I tend to listen for the buzz and get paranoid trying to find them.    They don't hit as hard from what I can tell if they don't get a back stab.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Welp, discovered my seed was bugged and didn't have the location tablet for the 4th boss...

6 mountains and too damn many hours later

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Welp, discovered my seed was bugged and didn't have the location tablet for the 4th boss...

6 mountains and too damn many hours later

View Quote

@Jatobi is in the same boat.  Him and I went mountain hopping looking for the tablet for the next boss.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Jatobi is in the same boat.  Him and I went mountain hopping looking for the tablet for the next boss.
View Quote

So far, this is true.

I hope we find it soon....
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I found it in the mountains inside one of the little stone buildings that are half torn down.  You see them in the black forrest with skeleton's but in the mountains there are no skeletons.  There was a red run rock inside the stone building that revealed the location of the boss.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So far, this is true.

I hope we find it soon....
View Quote

So I'll warn you right now, I got pissed off and enabled debug mode cause after looking for 10 hrs and about a dozen mountains...

There was not a single one on any mountain in my seed, anywhere. I visited nearly every one.

ETA: Upon changing seed, Found 1 the first place I checked
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So I'll warn you right now, I got pissed off and enabled debug mode cause after looking for 10 hrs and about a dozen mountains...

There was not a single one on any mountain in my seed, anywhere. I visited nearly every one.

ETA: Upon changing seed, Found 1 the first place I checked
View Quote

If true...fucking sucks.

Dont know how you turned on debug mode though.  Please tell.  Also, wonder if it's possible to debug/fly to find the mountain that has the boss spawner on it so we can just go there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If true...fucking sucks.

Dont know how you turned on debug mode though.  Please tell.  Also, wonder if it's possible to debug/fly to find the mountain that has the boss spawner on it so we can just go there.
View Quote

@jatobi

F5 to open console
Type "imacheater"
Type "debugmode"
Press "z" to toggle fly mode. Jump to go higher, crouch to go lower

So I'm unaware of a command to place a spawner icon, or a spawner itself. Finding it is possible I suppose but a lot of blind luck (its a big world)

Good luck man. Kinda was a buzzkill to discover this on my game since moving everything/rebuilding can be a complete PITA

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@jatobi

F5 to open console
Type "imacheater"
Type "debugmode"
Press "z" to toggle fly mode. Jump to go higher, crouch to go lower

So I'm unaware of a command to place a spawner icon, or a spawner itself. Finding it is possible I suppose but a lot of blind luck (its a big world)

Good luck man. Kinda was a buzzkill to discover this on my game since moving everything/rebuilding can be a complete PITA

View Quote

Ty.

We just checked ours, we aren't bugged thankfully.  Found it then quickly deleted the test seed I used to find it.  Don't know exactly where it is anymore, but I know a general direction lol.

Just glad we aren't bugged.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m loving this game. Just got to the mountains and if I don’t freeze to death I get slammed by the damn drakes.

Finally figured out while mining for silver to drop a fire ring down and cover it.  No more freezing to death.

Anyone figure out what the dragon eggs are for?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm loving this game. Just got to the mountains and if I don't freeze to death I get slammed by the damn drakes.

Finally figured out while mining for silver to drop a fire ring down and cover it.  No more freezing to death.

View Quote

Boss #4.  You need 3 dragon eggs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’m loving this game. Just got to the mountains and if I don’t freeze to death I get slammed by the damn drakes.

View Quote

2 things:

1. You aware you can brew frost potions or whatever their called? 10min cold resist and each batch gives you 6.

2. Wolf hide cloak does the same thing. Wolf pelts and silver to male IIRC

Beats making fires everywhere
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

2 things:

1. You aware you can brew frost potions or whatever their called? 10min cold resist and each batch gives you 6.

View Quote

I think the cloak was changed in the last update.  I was near the mountain farming iron in a swamp and started taking cold damage despite having the wolf cloak and armor.  I still have Iron helm and pants.  

Also the wishbone allows you to find Iron buried in the swamp (I did not know this).
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

2 things:

View Quote

Yeah I have the potions brewing atm. Didn’t know the fermenter had to be covered so I lost a day of brewing.

I just crafted Wolf armor so next up is the cape and leggings. I’m in the process now of moving my camp to the mountain biome.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Rather enjoying the game. Only complaint anyone I know playing is the slots are limited to 10 for our dedicated server.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Rather enjoying the game. Only complaint anyone I know playing is the slots are limited to 10 for our dedicated server.
View Quote

My only real complaint so far is not being able to anchor the boats. Seems like a silly misstep on the games part.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#34]
double tap on two threads LOL
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I penned a couple of them up and have been dropping carrots in the pen w/ them.  Now they're showing they're not wild anymore and have a piglet running around in the pen w/ them.  

One thing I discovered doing this.  It's easy to get one pig in a pen and close the gate.  Adding a 2nd pig makes it a whole lot more trouble as they run in and out.    I added corridor type section outside the pen w/ another gate.  Now I can have the pen gate shut, lure a pig into the corridor, shut the gate, and then wait for it to get inside the pen w/o the inside one running off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you tame boars?

That's very clever. I'll have to try it.

Also, thanks to svt40 for pointing me to this thread.

"The Forest is Moving"  Fuuuu... I'm still a newb.

[ETA] Why no ARFServer?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah I have the potions brewing atm. Didn't know the fermenter had to be covered so I lost a day of brewing.

I just crafted Wolf armor so next up is the cape and leggings. I'm in the process now of moving my camp to the mountain biome.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 things:

Yeah I have the potions brewing atm. Didn't know the fermenter had to be covered so I lost a day of brewing.

I just crafted Wolf armor so next up is the cape and leggings. I'm in the process now of moving my camp to the mountain biome.  

Figured it out.  The problem was I was wet before I went up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Figured it out.  The problem was I was wet before I went up.
View Quote

Yeah I found out the hard way if you get wet you still freeze. Cost me on the mountain forsaken battle lol.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

[ETA] Why no ARFServer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you tame boars?

[ETA] Why no ARFServer?

It seemed to work well.   I'd found an abandoned farm or something w/ the fence, fixed it up, and setup pigs on one side and carrots on the other.   Now I've left the world and my pigs are still there.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I just went to the plains for the first time in full maxed out silver gear (Except helm).  Damn, shit there hits hard.  I may have to farm it a little before I set up a base to get dark metal gear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It seemed to work well.   I'd found an abandoned farm or something w/ the fence, fixed it up, and setup pigs on one side and carrots on the other.   Now I've left the world and my pigs are still there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you tame boars?

[ETA] Why no ARFServer?

Still working on it here. I could kite the hogs up to the chute gate but they wouldn't come in.

I'm loving this game, though. It's one of those rare gems that only comes along so often.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Still working on it here. I could kite the hogs up to the chute gate but they wouldn't come in.

I'm loving this game, though. It's one of those rare gems that only comes along so often.
View Quote
I had an issue w/ them not coming in when harpooned.  I had to get them lined up right.   If they won't come in you might make the end more like a funnel, or drop a carrot in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top