Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 10:33:40 PM EDT
Been watching a lot of youtube videos with people keeping huge aquarium fish in monster tanks.  I imagine it's pretty expensive to get into and keep up but some of the tanks look amazing!  Fly river turtles are cool as hell!
The Ultimate Angelfish Aquascape

Monster Home Pool Pond! - Ohio Fish Rescue Tour 2019

Monster Home Pool Pond! - Ohio Fish Rescue Tour 2019

Predators community tank | monster fish tank|

Monster Aquarium 1100g Feeding

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean for food?

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Not in the house. Have a pond with goldfish, Koi and a giant school of minnows in the back yard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 125 gallon in my living room. All I do for maintenance is water changes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 125 gallon in my living room. All I do for maintenance is water changes.
View Quote
I used to have a 120. I want something much much bigger
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 125gal aquarium with a large bluegill.  

I do a big water change every few weeks.  Feed him bugs and nightcrawlers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
1000+ gallon tanks like in the OP are 10K+, and easily way more. I have a 125 gallon that's 6 feet long and definitely has the "wow" factor for people who don't normally see tanks, but it's substantially cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Building large plywood tanks is fairly easy to do.  Even glass or plexiglass tanks are about a buck and a half per gallon, and you can go up to near 500 gallons that way.

What will really cost is the filtration, pumping, and lighting especially if you get into either saltwater and corals OR fancy plants.

Head over to monsterfishkeepers.com and hit their forums, but put your wallet in your gun safe first.  Of course, if you have an ammo fort you could sell a case of 9mm or 223 and fund a VERY nice "small by MFK standards but bigger than most people would consider for their living room" size tank....

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1000+ gallon tanks like in the OP are 10K+, and easily way more. I have a 125 gallon that's 6 feet long and definitely has the "wow" factor for people who don't normally see tanks, but it's substantially cheaper.
View Quote
I was looking at something like this. More of a pond than a tank but the window is awesome.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have 400g in the living room. Dovii just died after 12 years. He was big, easily over 20”. Haven’t decided what to do next but maybe three or four quality oscars. They’re like labs lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have 400g in the living room. Dovii just died after 12 years. He was big, easily over 20". Haven't decided what to do next but maybe three or four quality oscars. They're like labs lol.
View Quote
Have you considered an Arowana? They're a big reason why I want to get into larger tanks.
@terdferguson
Red Arowana in Planted Tank - Aug 2018

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Just put it in your bathtub, that's what they do in eastern europe.

The Christmas Carp Tradition in the Czech Republic
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The cost to run filtration and airation pumps for large tanks must be killer. add a chiller for cold water species like trout.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]
It's a cool hobby but it's a lot of work. My 40-gallon freshwater takes more time than I'd like to maintain.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
No filters?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:54:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Helped install and manage a 700g saltwater, open system for my then boss in the Bahamas.
I ran 150’ of 3” pipe out into the bay. Made a custom screened inlet out of 8” PVC. Jetted that into the sea floor, secured the pipe runs with some pre bent rebar hooks. We used a 2hp, VFD/programmable pool pump
Water in, water out.
Then we built a freshwater meandering creek through the property. 2.5’ deep, 3’-5’ wide, 60’ long with 2 deeper pools and one waterfall.
We had all kinds of shit I caught in small fish traps. Lobsters, Groupers, snappers, Morey Eels, butterfly angle fish, etc. it was interesting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a 240 gallon reef full of Acropora and other stony coral and fish.  I loved that tank but had 10s of Ks in it over the years.  
The controller failed after a lightning strike next door, with a heater getting stick on.  Cooked everything in the tank, including a pair of clowns that I’d had nearly 20 years.  

That was the end of reef tanks for me.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just put it in your bathtub, that's what they do in eastern europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXp-rRkb6k8
View Quote

That looks good.

I wish I could travel. Thanks COVID.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to keep and breed discus, related to angelfish.  They were about 100 a pop for a homely, modest looking small one.  Very delicate and picky fish but neat.  I ran them in a smaller tank, i think 100 gal, but kept another hundred gal in a tank beneath it because the more water you have, the more forgiving it is on water chemistry.  You can get away with a couple days of neglecting monitoring ph the more water you have.  You couldnt rush at the tank or startle them unless ypu wanted to stress them and put them on the path to death.  The youngsters cling to the parent and eat the slime coming off the parent.  Very picky on water temp which gets spendy.  Lost power for a couple days and lost them all, broke my heart.

Oscars are rad, i had one that jumped out of the tank and was lying still on the floor crispy and dry.  Threw him back in the tank and he came back to life.  They love hot dogs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to. Visit monsterfishkeepers.com if you want to go down the rabbit hole. Makes full auto look cheap.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Right now I am only running my 30 and 70 gallon tanks upstairs.
The other 30, the 60 hex and 200 gallon tanks will be brought online soon.Just got them into the house after a move.
The 1400 gallon pool in the basement is growing out the gold fish for my 25k gallon swimming pool when I get it going.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Rum fish in St.Pete beach has a 300,000 gallon fish tank, very cool... those 2 guys that have the tv show built it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have you considered an Arowana? They're a big reason why I want to get into larger tanks.
@terdferguson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFUpVIyMmCI

View Quote

Ariowanas are cool, the good ones are illegal here though. Hard to get and very expensive.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Biggest tank I had was a 150 and a 125.  I've never kept any fish bigger than large frontosa or oscars. The big tanks had schools of tropheus and discus.  They can be a lot of work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Have a 160 in the living room
Two fish in it, the south African jaguar chichlids.

They are a breeding pair male is 16 inches female is about 12.

Had a Florida gar before that and would prefer another one.
But it died after many years and the jags were rescue fish.

Yup a member of monster fish. Com myself.
5 tanks total once setup it's not costly or a pain it's getting to the finished product that is costly.

I agree never pay more then a buck a gallon for a tank .

I don't care much for salt fish thats where the expense and time are. Fresh water monster fish are way easy and cheap to have once it's setup.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been on MFK since like '05. It can be a very rewarding hobby but it can crush you too.

Kept it all like freshwater stingrays, hydrolycus armatus, hydrocynus Goliath, Salminus brasilienes, various Cichla species, Datnioides including the probably now extinct in the wild D. pulcher (if I still had them they'd be worth easily 5k or more each) and more. I also had a few fly river turtles.

I moved to Florida where most of that stuff is illegal so I kind of got out of the hobby. The last things I had were the fly river turtles which I traded for an aldabra tortoise. This is what my aldabra will look like in maybe 10 years.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#26]
My coworker has a 525 in their living room and a thousand gallon in the basement for cultivating plants, coral, and acclamation fish. They (couple) were telling me all about it but most of it went over my head. They have their house plumbed custom for filling and draining with an expensive filter setup and all that jazz. Feeding is automated on a custom timer setup. The process of reinforcing the basement and foundation to support the tank on the main floor was actually pretty interesting. They brought in a civil engineer and everything.

Pretty neat, and they definitely have the money to support it. Sounds like a ton of work though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ariowanas are cool, the good ones are illegal here though. Hard to get and very expensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@terdferguson

A college roommate had one.  It started small and it got big fast.  Really cool fish.  They jump so you have to make sure it doesn't leave the tank!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The cost to run filtration and airation pumps for large tanks must be killer. add a chiller for cold water species like trout.
View Quote
The filter for my 125 was 55 bucks plus some plumbing and a pump. Maintenance free for over four years. Haven't cleaned it either. Doesn't need it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No filters?
View Quote
Mattenfilter on one end.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I keep Channel catfish in an outdoor 550 gallon tank.  I actually insulated it and kept the fish outdoors these last 2 winters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#31]
What is the arfcom of freshwater aquaria? I'm getting back into the hobby after a decade away.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I've never kept the really big fish.

Over the years, I have had oscars, and piranha.  Oscars are a hoot.  They're like dogs, but in a tank of water.  The piranha are fun, because they freak people out.  They kept my mother out of my bedroom when I was in high school.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What is the arfcom of freshwater aquaria? I'm getting back into the hobby after a decade away.
View Quote

Monster fish keepers i think.  For fish big or small.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@terdferguson

Big in Hawaii, don't see them much in the mainland.  Had a silver when I lived in the barracks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Monster fish keepers i think.  For fish big or small.
View Quote
MFK for sure.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#36]
i'd be way too worried about that thing breaking and leaking wudder everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had a 240 gallon reef full of Acropora and other stony coral and fish.  I loved that tank but had 10s of Ks in it over the years.  
The controller failed after a lightning strike next door, with a heater getting stick on.  Cooked everything in the tank, including a pair of clowns that I’d had nearly 20 years.  

That was the end of reef tanks for me.  

View Quote

Damn. That’s heart breaking. I can’t imagine losing all that.

My clown pair will be 19 in October.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#40]
My mom used to keep a 60-70gal freshwater tank when I was in school.    

We had Oscars the size of dinner plates, alligator gars, suckermouth catfish, a huge blue lobster (crayfish), and Cichlids.  

They lived on feeder fish/goldfish to eat.  

I'd love to have another...but I'm thinking just a koi pond outside would be the way to go for now
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not in the house. Have a pond with goldfish, Koi and a giant school of minnows in the back yard.
View Quote

A friend had a college room mate who had a small tank with three goldfish. One winter we netted some big gold koi/carp/etc out of a river (probably refugees from a farmers stock tank). It was cold enough that the fish was barely moving, it was like 7lbs plus.

We snuck into the dude’s room when he was hung over and put the fish in the tank. When he woke up hw freaked the fuck out.

Classic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My mom used to keep a 60-70gal freshwater tank when I was in school.    

We had Oscars the size of dinner plates, alligator gars, suckermouth catfish, a huge blue lobster (crayfish), and Cichlids.  

They lived on feeder fish/goldfish to eat.  

I'd love to have another...but I'm thinking just a koi pond outside would be the way to go for now
View Quote
When I move back to Florida I want to have a pond or else I'll just throw up an above ground pool in the garage and keep fish in that
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Recently set up a 55 gallon tank with a school of piranhas but this is way beyond what I doing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's a cool hobby but it's a lot of work. My 40-gallon freshwater takes more time than I'd like to maintain.
View Quote

Overstocked? I have a 55 and I spend like 15 mins a weekend with two Jack's and a catfish.

Had a 30 saltwater and it was like a second job.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No filters?
View Quote

Canister filter and clean it every couple of months
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#46]
the Atlantic and Pacific are my fish tank.

I have a little 55 in the house.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Co-worker has a massive 700 gallon saltwater in his south Florida home. It’s the focal point when you enter his home. When he first started out he was doing everything on his own until he did something that killed all his fish. Now he has the pros do it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Big Tanks, Big Fish, and Big Rich - Touring Ohio Fish Rescue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top