Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2020 11:22:16 AM EDT

Grand Strategy on a Galactic Scale
Explore and discover a spectacular and ever-changing universe! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings series, and publishers of the best-selling Cities: Skylines, presents Stellaris, advancing the genre of grand strategy to the very edges of the universe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought in on release, I played a bit when Utopia was released and I recently picked it up again last week on a whim.

I'm not too much of a fan of how they redid sectors, planet management, and resources. Seems like there is a lot of micro managing that needs to be done and setting it to auto will quickly bring your economy to ruins.

Late game performance still seems to suffer on larger maps, which often means I'll abandon a game once I know I've "won" rather than slug through hours of wars at ever decreasing play speeds just to get the victory. I even overclocked my computer for the first time in a decade just to try and offset it and even 5Ghz isn't enough to keep it going.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://cdn-products.eneba.com/resized-products/Stellaris_390x400_3x-0.jpg

Grand Strategy on a Galactic Scale
Explore and discover a spectacular and ever-changing universe! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings series, and publishers of the best-selling Cities: Skylines, presents Stellaris, advancing the genre of grand strategy to the very edges of the universe.
View Quote

Big pony and I play it excessively

@BigPony
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Big pony and I play it excessively

@BigPony
View Quote

Man it's a tough game it can keep you up till daylight if you don't watch the time lol...

My gf and I have been playing it we haven't won a game yet but every time we play we learn so much and do better in the next game.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like some kind of new children's cartoon adventure. Or anime, as the Japanese call their cartoons.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought in on release, I played a bit when Utopia was released and I recently picked it up again last week on a whim.

I'm not too much of a fan of how they redid sectors, planet management, and resources. Seems like there is a lot of micro managing that needs to be done and setting it to auto will quickly bring your economy to ruins.

Late game performance still seems to suffer on larger maps, which often means I'll abandon a game once I know I've "won" rather than slug through hours of wars at ever decreasing play speeds just to get the victory. I even overclocked my computer for the first time in a decade just to try and offset it and even 5Ghz isn't enough to keep it going.
View Quote

Yep. the slow down is horriable. Also, any idea how to get the final 2 ship sizes accessable? ive researched all tech(i get the same 5 options in each field now, x% improvement in y empire wide thing) , still only able to get battleships, nothing larger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The game has changed significantly since its release. Messing up in early game will cripple your mid and late game.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep. the slow down is horriable. Also, any idea how to get the final 2 ship sizes accessable? ive researched all tech(i get the same 5 options in each field now, x% improvement in y empire wide thing) , still only able to get battleships, nothing larger.
View Quote

You need a Citadel dockyard and  build the Titan and Colossus accessory slots for it

As to the late game we don't really have too many troubles with it we typically only play on small or tiny Maps, we can play both of those just fine all the way up to the year 2600 if we we're really pushed to that
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Really I only have three problems with the game

I have been playing Paradox games since Hearts of Iron 1, so I have been a long time player of their games

The first problem I have with it is the general buggyness Paradox games have to some degree

2 is habitats, I hate habitats, mostly I hate trying to take habitats, unless you have the void dweller origin perk All Star systems should be limited to only building one habitat, not fucking nine of them, a lot of the time I pick the Colossus Ascension perk just so I can destroy all the habitats

And three despite there being a fair amount of species traits, government traits, flag variations and crests and species portraits, there is not enough for my liking

Otherwise I love the game

By the way my favorite species portrait types is the snails, starfish, Fox, Roach, tiny geckos, the floating volcanic meteor with stubby arms and the tiny frame but big eyed fungoid.

But especially the snail, just look how cute these things are!

Also agrarian ideal is an incredibly powerful gov trait

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Also rackets are fucking awesome mid to late game if you go down the genetic Ascension route
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I love it.  One of the few strategy games where playing tall is genuinely a great strategy, which works for me since I'm a natural turtler.  Hide behind some citadels for a couple centuries and emerge with some doomstacks.

Also, half the fun is creating the backstory to your empire.  My current playthrough is as the Balance of Judgment, a sentient AI warship lost centuries ago in a titanic struggle against a hostile alien race known as the Magog.  The Magog wiped out almost all civilization and drove many of the survivors into a primitive state.  The Balance of Judgment, severely damaged and her crew dead, crash-landed on the planet Hera.  The AI core survived and began fabricating drones, creating a centrally controlled AI race.  The Balance of Judgment is determined to complete her mission to protect civilization.  She plans to rediscover all the lost technology and build a massive fleet in case the Magog or any similar threat ever returns (spoiler, the game almost always ends with a massive invasion from one of three end-game threats).  Inspired by Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love it.  One of the few strategy games where playing tall is genuinely a great strategy, which works for me since I'm a natural turtler.  Hide behind some citadels for a couple centuries and emerge with some doomstacks.

Also, half the fun is creating the backstory to your empire.  My current playthrough is as the Balance of Judgment, a sentient AI warship lost centuries ago in a titanic struggle against a hostile alien race known as the Magog.  The Magog wiped out almost all civilization and drove many of the survivors into a primitive state.  The Balance of Judgment, severely damaged and her crew dead, crash-landed on the planet Hera.  The AI core survived and began fabricating drones, creating a centrally controlled AI race.  The Balance of Judgment is determined to complete her mission to protect civilization.  She plans to rediscover all the lost technology and build a massive fleet in case the Magog or any similar threat ever returns (spoiler, the game almost always ends with a massive invasion from one of three end-game threats).  Inspired by Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61337/20200423104730_1_jpg-1382251.JPG
View Quote

Most of the time we get the scourge Invasion I have to say
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You need a Citadel dockyard and  build the Titan and Colossus accessory slots for it

As to the late game we don't really have too many troubles with it we typically only play on small or tiny Maps, we can play both of those just fine all the way up to the year 2600 if we we're really pushed to that
View Quote

Yeah the small maps are the way to go if you truly want to “win” a game, but anything bigger or longer and it eventually comes to a crawl.

Larger maps will extend long past 2600 as you wait for influence gains for claims. Thankfully they added some QoL improvements where we gain more influence now more than ever. Back during Utopia where all you would get is 5-7 influence a tick? It was absolutely killer. I’d calculate it out that I’d need to wait 40 hours just to get the influence needed to win, and at that point it was just a waiting game. Building any larger fleets or army’s at that point would only just further slow the game down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most of the time we get the scourge Invasion I have to say
View Quote
Hak Hak Hak.  I'm hoping for scourge this time, most like the Magog and my empire is near the galactic core.  Plus I still need the queen achievo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah the small maps are the way to go if you truly want to "win" a game, but anything bigger or longer and it eventually comes to a crawl.

Larger maps will extend long past 2600 as you wait for influence gains for claims. Thankfully they added some QoL improvements where we gain more influence now more than ever. Back during Utopia where all you would get is 5-7 influence a tick? It was absolutely killer. I'd calculate it out that I'd need to wait 40 hours just to get the influence needed to win, and at that point it was just a waiting game. Building any larger fleets or army's at that point would only just further slow the game down.
View Quote
If you build a colossus, you get a total war casus belli on everyone.  No need for claims anymore.  Also, you can win tall without conquering everyone.  Usually you just need to take over a fallen empire to leap ahead of the other fallen empires.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Try Distant Worlds. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try Distant Worlds. You're welcome.
View Quote

I need to get that DLC
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I need to get that DLC
View Quote

Different game.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/distant-worlds-universe
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have played it since release.  Haven't checked out the new federations expansion though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to get that DLC

Different game.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/distant-worlds-universe

Oh ok I thought you meant this dlc. Stellaris: Distant Stars Story Pack
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#21]
O and

WHAT WAS SHALL BE, WHAT SHALL BE WAS!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Also if you have never heard of Xenonian news Network you need to their videos are absolutely hilarious

Giant Asteroid Enters Race for UNE Presidency
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I typically play a Plant Species Technocracy. Usually get to Cruiser, Battleships and Titans first.

LittlePone and I play the game quite a lot. I know I am close to 1000 hours in it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Are all the DLC's good or is there some you wouldn't get?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
We have gotten all of them (Paradox frequently has them on sale on Steam) but 1 or 2 of them are just things like portrait packs for more species. You can def skip those until later.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have gotten all of them (Paradox frequently has them on sale on Steam) but 1 or 2 of them are just things like portrait packs for more species. You can def skip those until later.
View Quote

Do both players need to have them or just the one that makes the server?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't quote me, but I think just the one who creates the game. Again, I would look that up online first tho.

Also note, the game is fairly complicated to learn as the economy is VERY in depth so watch some yt vids or play with someone already familiar with the game are easiest. Once you get it down, if space empire building games with lots of combat are your thing, this game will keep you satisfied for many hundreds/thousands of hours and is well worth the cost. I know Little Pony just constantly builds new empires to try or tweaks his current ones, and roleplaying your empire is quite fun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#28]
THE FALL OF EARTH - Stellaris Cinematic Trailer Apocalypse/Distant Stars
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Did they make some changes, used to be if a game grew large and complicated it slowed to a crawl. I haven't played in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
To play the largest maps you need a beefy computer still, but they have improved performance a lot from previous releases.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#33]
ah, what the hell.

in, i'll have to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Its been a year or so now but been meaning to dust it off with the new expansion out. Definitely a fun game but never actually best it. Usually reach a point where I'm so dominant over everyone (coupled with the late-game CPU slowdown) that I usually quit as opposed to grind out the last 1/2 or so of the map
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Well we were doing soo good untill "The Contingency" wiped us out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well we were doing soo good untill "The Contingency" wiped us out.
View Quote

them and the unbidden i hate with a passion

everything else is "manageable" but not those two fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

them and the unbidden i hate with a passion

everything else is "manageable" but not those two fuckers.
View Quote

Is it possible to turn that off?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is it possible to turn that off?
View Quote

i belive so, at game start it you change end game crises strength to zero i dont think they fire their respective event chains aka they dont spawn
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I already bought most of the DLC's on sale but thought this was interesting.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#43]

That meme would be perfect if the picture on the right was at "fastest" game speed.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#46]
The cat people are a fav too.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#47]
hey @Commando223

whats your preferred government type anyway?

ethics and traits that is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
hey @Commando223

whats your preferred government type anyway?

ethics and traits that is.
View Quote

Still experimenting with different ones I can tell you I don't like fanatic pacifists I had an awesome army I couldn't even use.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Still experimenting with different ones I can tell you I don't like fanatic pacifists I had an awesome army I couldn't even use.
View Quote

You'd be surprised

I have a fanatical pacifist plant species people

But most of the time I either play as my snail people which are fanatical authoritarian and xenophile, with a hereditary government type, a traditional top-down Empire you could say, I also use the Byzantine bureaucracy an environmentalist trait, the snail people themselves are also conservationists so overall in the beginning coupled with a bonuses from authoritarian my Empire uses around 25% less consumer goods than others

Or I play my fox people which are fanatical xenophiles and spiritual, they are a Theocratic oligarchy and I use the free Haven and meritocracy traits, I Xeno compatibility with them to the absolute maximum

And then finally I have my gecko people

They are a hidden government type that is tricky to make, their governments is called a "Celestial Empire" basically think of the late Ming Chinese Empire before the Manchurian Qing took over

To able to make the celestial Empire you have to take spiritualist pacifist and xenophobe, along with  hereditary government and then you have to take inward perfection, you have to do all of that otherwise you will not get it.

If you then combine it with agrarian idyll and make your species have the intelligent trait you can break the game in many ways, it's not totally overpowered as say a technocracy starting with a ring world but it is quite potent.

Sure you might not be able to do any diplomacy at all with inward Perfection, but why even bother when everyone else is beneath your notice, it's not like they would even be able it's not like they would even be able to understand your culture or people anyway
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#50]
And in other news GRAVITY IS DESIRE!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top