Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2019 12:28:42 PM EDT
I've been working LE on nights for 5 years.  I take pride in the job and my work but sometimes wonder about starting over in something else.

For those that got out, what did you go into and do you regret the move?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a cop from 94-06, since then I’ve worked construction and oilfield. I do a lot of driving using my class A cdl and haven’t worked a night shift since 2012 when I was fracking. I don’t regret leaving as I have an actual life not having to work holidays, weekends or miss my kids birthdays and sports. Best part is not having to work extra jobs and going to court on my days off oh and that pain in the middle of your back from wearing a gun belt and armor it goes away after a few months.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said and...

Retired and hired on at USPS for the healthcare benefits (walking everywhere and medical), ability to transfer anywhere in the US, second retirement.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Not leaving till I retire. I noticed many years ago when I was young that those who stuck out a career for 25-30+ years are far more financially stable in retirement than those who bounce around from job to job.  My own dad has bounced from job to job his whole life with no retirement from any of his jobs and now that he's nearing 70, he only has social security.

I don't know what your retirement at your department looks like but that's something you should look at as you are deciding what course of action you take.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Did Mil then LEO.  Then, wife got pregnant, it changed me.  Left and looked for jobs that didn't require me to fight bloody homeless crackheads on bridges in the middle of the night unless I want to.  I still have dreams at night about the military and police work, but now when I wake up, it's a relief.  Sure is nice being able to see my kid to bed every night and some mornings.  Police work ain't gettin no easier either (media, red flag laws), good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not leaving till I retire. I noticed many years ago when I was young that those who stuck out a career for 25-30+ years are far more financially stable in retirement than those who bounce around from job to job.  My own dad has bounced from job to job his whole life with no retirement from any of his jobs and now that he's nearing 70, he only has social security.

I don't know what your retirement at your department looks like but that's something you should look at as you are deciding what course of action you take.

Good luck!
View Quote
I switched departments about a year ago thinking the grass was greener.  My Dept offers a pretty weak pension which I'm not sure how long until I'm vested.  10 years?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did Mil then LEO.  Then, wife got pregnant, it changed me.  Left and looked for jobs that didn't require me to fight bloody homeless crackheads on bridges in the middle of the night unless I want to.  I still have dreams at night about the military and police work, but now when I wake up, it's a relief.  Sure is nice being able to see my kid to bed every night and some mornings.  Police work ain't gettin no easier either (media, red flag laws), good luck.
View Quote
Wife is pregnant with our first.  I currently rate 50% gi bill if I want to go back to college.

What kind of work did you go into.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I switched departments about a year ago thinking the grass was greener.  My Dept offers a pretty weak pension which I'm not sure how long until I'm vested.  10 years?
View Quote
That's stuff you need to look into when making decisions about your future. I didn't look into it when I first got into LE but luckily for me, my first department had a decent retirement. When I decided to leave due to a change in management for the worse, I did look at the retirement plan at the department I wanted to work for. My retirement plan from my first department transferred over so my years of service simply continued for retirement purposes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
1.5 years til retirement eligibility.   I think I am gone then.  Health, sanity, and the silliness foisted on the rest of NY by NYC in legal changes.

Add in the working holidays, most weekends et cetera.

A half pay pension, my own investments and some part time work and I foresee no issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wife is pregnant with our first.  I currently rate 50% gi bill if I want to go back to college.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations, I have never been as scared as when I walked into my house with our kid the first time.  I thought I loved my county, I thought I loved my wife, I LOVE my kid, more than anything.  Anyhoo, I went into textile manufacturing as a grunt (pun intended).  Worked my way up after a year working hard to a lead position, started college on post 9/11, then used that piece of information to get a job(degree required) at the same company sitting behind a desk.  I was a temp, and it sucked, but hard work is really hard to find sometimes.  I don't make great money, but I don't have great responsibilities either.  I wasn't career or anything, but taking the badge off for the last time was hard, and since then, my outlook on policing has changed, wonder if that is the same for others?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I retired after 23 years and am collecting my pension.

I now work in State government.

Mon-Fri 0700-1500 is nice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I retired after 20 and became a teacher then an administrator in the local public school system.

My wife retired and went to DOD
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been working LE on nights for 5 years.  I take pride in the job and my work but sometimes wonder about starting over in something else.

View Quote
will be with in 11 months. Got 24 years in, could have went at 20 but went into our 5 year DROP. Currently a Patrol Lt. Job just is not fun or fulfilling anymore. The past 3 years has been purely a financial decision and would like to finish my full DROP period to get all my money but after that will never work in LE ever again and don't foresee any regret.

J-
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Left LE for a year to do nuclear security. Ended up going back like a jackass. Looking to get out for the final time. Working nights/weekends/holidays sucks more the older I get. 17 years on, so far.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Without giving too much away I had a medical issue pop up. It was pretty difficult to swap over but it’s definitely doable. I have friends that transitioned to other fields and make way more with better health insurance benefits and you’re not dealing with the same stuff. Best advice I could give is if it’s interfering with your health (especially with a family) something else may be better for you at the time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote
IMHO, this right here is sound advice

Obviously we don't know your pension system, but I wouldn't be so quick to throw away five years in the system to just jump ship so I could go back to school, then look for a new job because I have some degree or technical training, ESPECIALLY with my first kid on the way...

In most departments, night shifts will come to an end with seniority, as will every single holiday...maybe try to look around for something in your department to eventually make it to besides patrol
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Enrolled in college.  Got a degree.  Enrolled in law school.  Got another degree.  Became a lawyer and stopped law enforcement to be a reserve officer, which was fun for a while, but I resigned when my son was born.  I have been an attorney for 20 years.  My only regret is that I did not go to medical school instead of law school.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look for a better agency that isn't patrol work.
View Quote
How is working for the state? (FDLE).

I've thought of trying for a State job, but not sure how it is.  I was on a FDLE search warrant the other day and over half the agents that were there had worked at my agency previously.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#19]
2 years, 9 months until retirement.  Can’t wait!!!

If I knew back in college what I know now, I would have chosen something completely different than LE!

The minute I can retire, I’m gone!

T2
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote
And if you are married, try to stay that way. My ex wife is getting 31 % of my county pension and 50% of my military pension
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1.5 years til retirement eligibility.   I think I am gone then.  Health, sanity, and the silliness foisted on the rest of NY by NYC in legal changes.

Add in the working holidays, most weekends et cetera.

A half pay pension, my own investments and some part time work and I foresee no issues.
View Quote
That cemented my choice to leave a year early. This state is going to be in a state of upheaval in January. That and the availability of a job to replace the losses to my wife, a job that probably wouldn't have been around in a year when I was planning to retire
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Enrolled in college.  Got a degree.  Enrolled in law school.  Got another degree.  Became a lawyer and stopped law enforcement to be a reserve officer, which was fun for a while, but I resigned when my son was born.  I have been an attorney for 20 years.  My only regret is that I did not go to medical school instead of law school.
View Quote
I had a coworker who resigned and went to medical school. I googled him when it came up in another recent thread and he's a trauma surgeon in Virginia now. On the flip side I also worked with a guy who left medical school to join the police department.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm only still here because I'm so close to retirement.  If I had to do it all again, I would not go into LE with the way things are these days.  I was a street cop for about 5 yrs and then went Fed.  After 6 years on the street doing that I moved into our aviation unit for the past 14 yrs.  I can retire in 2 yrs if I want.  Depending on finances I might, but will probably stay closer to 5.  I'm fortunate in that as as pilot I have another marketable skill unlike a lot of my colleagues but my goal is to stay until I don't have to find a second career (unless I'm just bored and want to work).  After close to 30 yrs when I punch out, one thing is for certain, once I'm done here I'll never work for the government again in any form.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I got out completely after 12 years between patrol and  CID.  No way in hell I would ever go back to LE in any capacity.  I actually took the oath I swore seriously, I can’t bring myself to work around those who do not.

I finished off my bachelor degree and became a pilot.  Best decision I ever made.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Look for a better agency that isn't patrol work.
View Quote
How is working for the state? (FDLE).

I've thought of trying for a State job, but not sure how it is.  I was on a FDLE search warrant the other day and over half the agents that were there had worked at my agency previously.
View Quote
Working for FDLE will be no better than working investigations at your current agency, and they pay less unless you’re working for a really small agency.  FDLE goes through agents just a fast as any other agency in the state, and I have seen them hire plenty of known dirt bag officers.

Lottery is where it’s at if you want to work a state job.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I retired,  after 28 years.   It was a great job when I started, but starting to be less great by the time I retired (2014).  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do it now, if  I were in my 20's.   I hate to say this, because I know it's controversial, but I watched the quality of our new hires go down (I was on our interview board my last few years) throughout my career.  Pay was never the thing that got over qualified people into law enforcement.  It was the challenge and the sense of accomplishing something worthwhile.  But, today, I see that sense of accomplishment being harder and harder to obtain.   Plus, the risk of termination, or indictment, for any pro-active work, (not to mention God help you if you have to actually shoot someone), and the lack of public support, makes it a lot less of a great career opportunity these days.  And, I see it getting worse, as bad hires, make bad decisions, and result in less public support, and make the job less desirable to qualified, and over qualified, people, (kind of a death spiral).
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I worked for 20 years for the State, then county SO and then juvenile probation....Wife did too, but we are both very burnt on just general criminal element that seems to grow in this society like black mold.

My wife swears that she'll never wear another badge...Me, I always enjoyed it, but I'm glad to get a break for awhile. We are tired of lawsuits, threats of lawsuits, general bullshit...Everybody knows what I mean.

We are moving to Florida in three weeks and I don't know what I'll do there....I wouldn't mind trying security chief at a college or something along those lines?

I'll just have to see what's shaking when I get there... I'm in my early 50's... Too old IMO for entry level corrections, patrol or even probation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Working for FDLE will be no better than working investigations at your current agency, and they pay less unless you’re working for a really small agency.  FDLE goes through agents just a fast as any other agency in the state, and I have seen them hire plenty of known dirt bag officers.
View Quote
Don't confuse fed agents (1811) pay or tenure with that of fed uniform police (083).  Not sure where you live, but 1811 pay is typically higher than most state/local police agencies once LEAP and locality is added in on a base schedule with few exceptions, and does not include the M-F bankers hours most 1811's have with every holiday off.

Seven Year Mark in California:
CHP:  $134,000 with a degree, working nights
San Francisco:  $135,096
Fed 1811: $147,990

Seven Year Mark in Illinois:
ISP:  $80,455
Chicago PD:  $96,034 (PO working as a detective on midnights)
Fed 1811: #135,021

Seven Year Mark in Texas:
DPS: $98,019
Plano Texas:  $91,700
Fed 1811: $134,940

Seven Year Mark in New York:
NYSP:  $126,479 (if assigned metro NY City area & working midnights)
NYPD:  $99,326 (working midnights with holiday pay and longevity and wearing a body camera)
PAPD-NYNJ:  $118,387 (working midnights with holiday and longevity pay)
Nassau:  $119,450
Fed 1811:  $140,303
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#28]
2001-2013 and done!  Loved what the job was but not what it became.  Once politics dictates every aspect and the Sheriff was more concerned about votes then supporting his deputies it was a major issue.  Went back on active duty for a bit and then government contractor in Tampa.  Great pay, great perks and none of the headaches.  Do I miss it?  Yes, I miss what it was when I started but I wouldn't go back to the job now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Retired LEO due to work inj.  Started working in a Special Investigations Unit for an insurance company.  Most LEO's that I know over many years have been happy to get out, but they had a hard time adjusting to the pace of working in a SIU environment as it comes with a different set of stressors.  The job is salaried and many end up working more than 40 hours per week due to travel time (some overnights), typing reports at night/checking emails, setting up/reviewing new claim assignments, and some cases require you meet claimant's, insured's or witnesses after normal business hours.  There is a lot to learn to become an effective SIU investigator (suspect claims are not limited to: application fraud; falsified documents; medical fraud; homeowner burglaries/theft; arson; scheduled jewelry losses; commercial claims/losses; slip & falls; staged auto accidents; stolen vehicles; products liability; workers' comp, etc, etc, etc).  The job has it's own stressors (tight timelines; large case loads, working with difficult parties and/or their attorneys, handling special projects, mandatory compliance training that can make you behind on your workload, requiring you work more hours to keep up, etc).  The positive side: decent salary (you'll earn it); promotional opportunities over time; company car; freedom to work your own schedule providing you are keeping up with your cases; working independently - usually, your supervisor is not with you, looking over your shoulder.  The job caseload and responsibilities vary widely between insurance companies. Some require you take over the claim from the adjuster while other insurers just have you investigate and report facts to the file (much preferred work environment).

Look for job opportunities at your favorite online resources "Insurance investigator"; "SIU"; "Special Investigator"; "Special Investigations".

Several SIU investigators I've worked with over the years wished they never left LE, but can't go back due to age or other issues. Think very hard before you make a change. Very hard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don't confuse fed agents (1811) pay or tenure with that of fed uniform police (083).  Not sure where you live, but 1811 pay is typically higher than most state/local police agencies once LEAP and locality is added in on a base schedule with few exceptions, and does not include the M-F bankers hours most 1811's have with every holiday off.
View Quote
All good info @joeyd16779 but I believe @lucky_dog was referrimg to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and not 1811’s aka Fed LE.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#31]
We got absolutely destroyed this weekend.  The amount of bullshit reported was off the charts.  I spent all day yesterday recovering and contemplating how much longer I can do this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We got absolutely destroyed this weekend.  The amount of bullshit reported was off the charts.  I spent all day yesterday recovering and contemplating how much longer I can do this.
View Quote
Can you explain with more detail? Keeping your opsec in mind of course.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can you explain with more detail? Keeping your opsec in mind of course.
View Quote
Shootings, car accidents with injuries, OWIs, bar fights, and all the bullshit 911 calls that you wonder how they made it past the dispatch operator. Not to mention being understaffed on a weekend in the rain and cold.  No time for proactive enforcement or investigations.  Going Call to call while trying not to make an arrest so you don't fuck your teammates.  Getting fucked over by teammates that want to play the board.

Granted some of the calls I enjoyed but it's amazing watching a department being brought to it's knees when a few high priority runs go out at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#34]
You are right at the magic number for LE in my opinion.  5 years is about the time you either decide to stick with it or do something else.

If you want to stick with it, you need to stop living the job and simply turn it into a job. You go to work, work hard and do the best work possible, then go home and don't worry about it. Early in LE, we want to solve all the crime, lock all the bad guys up, and......then what?

The reality is, we really do pretty much do the same thing day after day. Yes there is some variation compared to making wigits in a factory but there really isn't much difference mentally. If you work in a factory some days you make 10 wigits and some days you make 20 wigits. In LE....some days you arrest 1. Some days you arrest 2. Some days the bad guys get one over on you. You have to learn to not take it personally. It's a job. A fun job at times, a shitty job at times.....but still a job. Every other job out there is similar in that there are good things and not so good things.

I have been fortunate in my career in that I have moved around a lot and got to do a lot of things in LE. That has managed to make it interesting for me. Now days, I find myself looking at my retirement numbers and doing the math. I love my job and don't plan to quit any time soon. That said, I like the looks of my retirement. It's not incredible but it's solid and I'm in far better shape financially than most people I know....and that includes those who don't work in LE too. It's comforting knowing I'm working toward a comfortable retirement when I get a stretch of frustration.

I would not make long term decisions quickly. Look at what your options are, what you could do outside of LE and what kind of money you could make doing it. Then, compare everything and decide what's best for you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I left a police Dept to go work for my states Attorney General doing Narcotics.
I wear plain clothes, I have a beard, I have a take home car, and my schedule is pretty damn flexible.

Whenever I get frustrated with management, I think back to what I was doing 3 years ago, and I embrace where I am.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Just turned in my retirement papers yesterday, I've done 32 years 24 in digital forensics and computer crime. I just got picked up by a financial firm doing their digital protection and investigations for twice my pay and bennies. I couldn't say no!
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Mil LE for 8 years, got out and worked for a transit agency for a few more years. Politics and the death of one of our contract security guards caused the wife and I to have a discussion. I got out, after a little bit of security work, I work in underground utilities. Pay isn't the best, but I get a take home truck, and most of the year its nice to work outside.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just turned in my retirement papers yesterday, I've done 32 years 24 in digital forensics and computer crime. I just got picked up by a financial firm doing their digital protection and investigations for twice my pay and bennies. I couldn't say no!
View Quote
My buddy did that, got hired by a large oil company heading their computer forensics dept and makes about 10times that he was making as a cop!

J-
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Seems like every single person I work with at my department talks about getting out. Theses are people between 1-25 years of service. I know the department shares its issues but times are changing so much and people just want out. I have considered it myself but I really dont know what I would do if I were to get out. I do enjoy the job but do not see doing it forever. I do not want to end up riding a desk in CID always in court. I am in the mindset that if I cant work normal patrol, that itll be my time to get out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you have a degree?  Any degree?

What else interests you?  How old are you?

I left LE 30 years ago this year.  I work for a huge high tech company and the money is FAR beyond.  At my age, I am a dinosaur in this industry...but the millennials/Xers/Yers, won't look up from their phones long enough to replace me. lol

Did I miss LE? Yeah, for a while.   Does it bother me that I'd be retired by now if I had stayed? No, it wasn't worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I left a police Dept to go work for my states Attorney General doing Narcotics.
I wear plain clothes, I have a beard, I have a take home car, and my schedule is pretty damn flexible.

Whenever I get frustrated with management, I think back to what I was doing 3 years ago, and I embrace where I am.
View Quote
while that sounds like a decent gig I hardly call that "getting completely out of LE."

J-
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  I was making $156,000/year, the  year I retired as an 1811.  In Mississippi.  The governor of Mississippi made $122,000 that year.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I did 6 years in the USAF SP/LE field from 74 to 80, then went to the California POST academy, but could not get hired in that state as I'm white and white.

Went to Nevada, did 12 years as a resident deputy, city PD and a Chief of Police. Nevada PERS pays me around $900 a month for those 13 years.

Moved to Idaho, and did 20 years with two different agencies.  Idaho pays me about $1800 a month for the 20 years.

After 32 years I gave it up at 61 years of age because of injuries, and I was just a cynical, nasty person with an I hated everyone attitude.

I worked patrol, investigations, homicide, special DV unit, deputy coroner, crash RECON, Hazmat, ICS, and DEA cases, plus others.

Oh yeah, I forgot, ICAC, (crimes against children) That will change your belief in the human population.

What I found was that when folks needed you, you were #1, but when you were done with them, you were just another asshole cop in a uniform, and a #10.

These things;
"What took you so long to get here"
"Why don't you arrest that guy or gal"
"Why don't you go find some real criminals"
"I didn't do it"
"But they were the nicest people"

Multiple broken ribs, several bad concussions, two bad injury car crashes with drunk drivers, right hand smashed by a drunk driver, a couple of stab injuries,  stupid nightmares that are unpleasant as hell, and add the usual suspects in it for political gain, and I have not looked back.

My attitude is much, much better.

Was the job satisfying to help people, yes, for the first 15 years or so.

After that, I just decided I would stay for the retirement, and deal with people as needed.

Would I do it again?

Probably not and good thing I am out of, yes?
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don’t confuse an FDLE agent with a fed.  Not sure how you even got there since neither the post I had quoted or my reply mentioned anything about feds.  Not sure where you live, but state investigators aren’t feds.  Maybe they’re a TFO but they’re still on their employing agency’s pay plan.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Now is a good time to decide.

I’m 14 years in, 1 from being vested but 11 from retirement.

The wife and I would LOVE to move (where I work is what trump would call a “shithole”, 130+ homicides this year so far etc) but it’s very difficult for me to make a move now.  I’d gladly get out of law enforcement for the right gig, but I’m at a loss for what cops do outside of cop work.  I still enjoy the job but it gets more and more difficult dealing with people and going to work sometimes.  Sometimes I feel like working in Mayberry night change my attitude but then again, I know myself and know Id get bored out of my mind most likely.

FWIW, first 7 years were Patrol (6 proactive and that was fun) and last 7 on the tactical team.  My schedule has become very difficult with the wifes work schedule as well which isn’t helping.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 12:51:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
.  Sometimes I feel like working in Mayberry night change my attitude but then again, I know myself and know Id get bored out of my mind most likely.
View Quote
I've worked both high call semi-urban and... rural where I was it for the whole shift.

Slow places have an advantage in that you get to do a wider spectrum of policing, you get more latitude on how strongly you want to pursue issues, but the best part is, with all the online stuff, you can work on that resume get schools in you don't have time to in a busy department. If they have a robust reserve unit, you can even get time to go to in-residence schools. Just be sure to go look for gear adrift before you head to mayberry, most little departments don't have much in the way of... anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Worked small town LE for 14 years.  13.5 years was great. Run calls go home.with mostly the same guys. Only real issue i had was i ran over a loose fill box cover at night at a gas station. Daytime said it was a small scratch. With tons of fussing afterward. Last 6 months with a new sgt going to change things up... No one believed me. Next guy,  they believed him. Back when I worked for the small city it was people graduate BLET all the time and want a job... Endless supply.

Left for an unsworn job with the state. More money. Take home vehicle. Plus the boss keeps saying please don't quit even when I make a mistake. Big difference for me.

My longtime retired captain keeps telling me how much better off I am being with the state and getting free health care after so many years (time transfers) plus more pay and other benefits and I agree. He is stuck paying around 1600 a month.  I don't miss being stuck on nights and holidays.

Only issue is leosa qualification.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Retired at 25 years. Wife is a nurse, got me into healthcare (RN). Will retire for good in about 3 years. Still doing PT LE (rural).
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#50]
About 12 years in I almost gave it up to go back into the military.  I didn't go back into the active duty military but went to the National Guard.   I stayed at the P.D. for just under 30 years and I'm now drawing my retirement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top