Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2018 8:19:41 AM EDT
I've not had a serious cut since October of last year. I've never grown my hair out and thought, why not. But it's at that real awkward stage right now and I don't know if I should trim it, use something in it to calm it down, or what.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't do long hair anymore...  Had it all though H.S. and college...

Sometime in my mid twenties I shaved it with clippers, now about every 3-5 weeks I'll have my G/F hit it with a #2.  
It feels way cooler when hot, hats fit better, use less shampoo and spend less time in the mirror, trying to make my self look less homeless..

Over the years, I've thought about growing it back out a few times. It gets to that awkward and unruly stage, then I end up cutting it off..
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Every 6 months have at least 1/2 inch cut off (to remove split ends).  Tell the hair person what you are trying to accomplish and listen to what they recommend.  You will have to have trims or it will drive you nuts (around your eyes and ears).  Don't be surprised if it stops getting longer at some point (not everyone has the protein structure for that really long hair, it gets so long and breaks).
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a buzz cut for like 20 years.

Retired and thought "fuck it, Imma grow a ponytail and have even less maint.")

Biggest PIA ever. Took forever to grow and once in, it was more trouble than it was worth.

Now I look like this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#4]
unless you have family pics or something you want your hair to look nice for don't cut it. youll just prolong the awkward stage.

just keep growing it til its a length you like then get it styled when its getting too long for your taste.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Biggest PIA ever. Took forever to grow and once in, it was more trouble than it was worth.

Now I look like this

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42311/ryan_gosling-559897.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Now I look like this

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42311/ryan_gosling-559897.JPG
Probably the same path I'll walk down truly.

I have VIP tickets to see Metallica next year and I figured if I were going to do it right I needed to be able to really head-bang the right way for the first time.

Quoted:
unless you have family pics or something you want your hair to look nice for don't cut it. youll just prolong the awkward stage.

just keep growing it til its a length you like then get it styled when its getting too long for your taste.
That's been my path since the last trim. Really that trim was to get some thickness out of my mop.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
How long is your hair?

If you're at the awkward stage of weird animal shapes that are hard to manage, keep at it. If your at, this shit is in my eyes, get a decent pomade and keep it combed back.

Overall, what's the end game? That should drive your haircutting decisions.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How long is your hair?

If you're at the awkward stage of weird animal shapes that are hard to manage, keep at it. If your at, this shit is in my eyes, get a decent pomade and keep it combed back.

Overall, what's the end game? That should drive your haircutting decisions.
View Quote
Yea that's pretty much the stage I'm at. Even keeping it combed back some other weird animals appear out of the sides and what-not.

I honestly don't know the end game at this point. I just decided I'd give it a try with the only end goal being have long hair by the time I see Metallica in January of next year.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm doing the same thing, except it's been awkward for like 3 months. there's too much to slick back, so the back part gets all curly and sticks out. I got some of the bulk removed twice but other than that I'm at like maybe a year.

I need to figure out what the end goal is. looking up guy hair cuts makes me feel weird and the only dudes who seem to look good with it are rail skinny and 9 feet tall. I'm afraid I'm going to end up looking like the comic book store owner from the simpsons :/
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm doing the same thing, except it's been awkward for like 3 months. there's too much to slick back, so the back part gets all curly and sticks out. I got some of the bulk removed twice but other than that I'm at like maybe a year.

I need to figure out what the end goal is. looking up guy hair cuts makes me feel weird and the only dudes who seem to look good with it are rail skinny and 9 feet tall. I'm afraid I'm going to end up looking like the comic book store owner from the simpsons :/
View Quote

All of it
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 57 and still grow my hair out long. I just prefer longer hair and at my age, I'm glad I can still grow hair. I've had long hair on and off since I was in my early 40s.

The first thing to do is to get rid of the split ends. It will make your hair hang down more smoothly, with less tangles. It's time you go to stylists, as they are used to cutting long hair on women. Most can be trusted with men's hair styles. So, keep growing your hair, but have it groomed occasionally to give it a good style. Have it layered, so it'll lay better on your head. Just because your hair is long doesn't mean that it can't be styled. You don't have to look like a grizzled old biker.

Use hair bands to hold your pony tail back, it's useful on hot days. Use conditioner when you shower, it'll smooth out your hair. Look into dry shampoo. It's a spray-on product that removes the oils from your hair, on the days you don't feel like washing your hair.
Some women love long hair on men, most don't. Make sure you do this for you.

I love my hair long. I like feeling it brush across my face when the wind blows. It just feels "alive." You'll find yourself brushing your hair out of your face a lot, but it feels good doing it. It'll become a habit, even if you revert back to shorter hair styles.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep growing it naturally. Your boyfriends just want something other than your ears to grab hold of.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been buzzing my head with a #2 for over 10 years now. Wanting to change it up to something simple like a 2 on the sides and longer on the top with a part on the side. I'm at the awkward stage where it's about an 1.25 inches all the way around in length and sticks up all around the crown and where I want to part it.

Anyone have any suggestions for paste, gel, conditioner ect. that I could use to lay the hair down until it's long enough to lay down on it's own? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been buzzing my head with a #2 for over 10 years now. Wanting to change it up to something simple like a 2 on the sides and longer on the top with a part on the side. I'm at the awkward stage where it's about an 1.25 inches all the way around in length and sticks up all around the crown and where I want to part it.

Anyone have any suggestions for paste, gel, conditioner ect. that I could use to lay the hair down until it's long enough to lay down on it's own? Thanks
View Quote
I had the best luck with this. It's somewhere between a pomade and paste, not really shiny. A little goes a long way.

https://bc.supply/products/water-based-pomade

Their socks rock too for the money.
https://bc.supply/products/urban-trail-socks
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been bald for years,

Good luck op
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had the best luck with this. It's somewhere between a pomade and paste, not really shiny. A little goes a long way.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I was looking for, appreciate it!
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I am currently 2 plus years without a haircut. Mine is super thick and I donate it to Locks for Love. It takes me 1 year to be able to pull it all back in a ponytail. I normally wear a hat in that awkward stage.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am currently 2 plus years without a haircut. Mine is super thick and I donate it to Locks for Love. It takes me 1 year to be able to pull it all back in a ponytail. I normally wear a hat in that awkward stage.
View Quote
I'm just about at one year in. I can get most of it in a pony tail at this point. I feel like it's all been an awkward stage
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Im at 53 weeks without a trim the longest ive ever gone i was going to cut it all off at the 1 year mark but im just gona keep growing it what i do is just comb it front to back and slide a baseball cap on tuck it behind your ears it curls up in the back but its not terrible
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I haven't cut my hair since I got out of the military.
That was 1985.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I haven't cut my hair since I got out of the military.
That was 1985.
View Quote
Just saw this reply. Your hair is almost as old as I am at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top