Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2019 2:57:16 PM EDT
About to head out the door for one out on at local hospital for free.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I took mine about 2 weeks ago. We went over tourniquet application and each participant had to apply/stuff clotting gauze into one of 3 wounds (gunshot, puncture, deep laceration). I found the class very helpful and feel better prepared to treat a trauma victim if/when needed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took mine about 2 weeks ago. We went over tourniquet application and each participant had to apply/stuff clotting gauze into one of 3 wounds (gunshot, puncture, deep laceration). I found the class very helpful and feel better prepared to treat a trauma victim if/when needed.
View Quote
That's the same basic stuff that's taught in the AHA Heartsaver First Aid / CPR-AED course.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, we took one over the Winter and it was very valuable.
I keep a stop the bleed kit in my car now, that includes 2 tourniquets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's the same basic stuff that's taught in the AHA Heartsaver First Aid / CPR-AED course.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took the same AHA class just last year at work and neither were covered, only CPR, AED, and very basic first aid was covered.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep 2 tourniquets in my drivers side door panel and a full gunshot medical kit in a toolbox in the trunk of my Sequoia
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I took the same AHA class just last year at work and neither were covered, only CPR, AED, and very basic first aid was covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agree although that may depend on who's provided the classes.  I updated my First Aid/CPR-AED certification shortly before taking Stop the Bleed and the two were much different.  The FD guys (also mil vets/ and now active reserves) running the Stop the Bleed class were excellent.  So too was the nurse instructor for First Aid/CPR AED update.  The added emphasis on OD/Narcotics was new but I guess shouldn't have been surprising.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh. I did the same, and they covered the three types of bleeding, what to do about each one, and tourniquet use. I did it in August 2018.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes. Good basic stuff
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I enjoyed mine, I was able to pack a bunch of gauze into a shot pork loin & apply pressure in about 30 seconds.

I also liked how passing this course gives you additional legal protection under good Samaritan laws...
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes. Good basic stuff
View Quote
X2
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes had it last year.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Great training you will come away feeling that you will be able to help someone in need and maybe save a life.

Their was a full size dummy laying on a plastic tarp with tubes running to a five gal pail on a table filled with red fluid.

Their were 3 injuries, severed leg below the knee, hole in the chest cavity and a head wound. When the pump was turned on the blood was squirting everywhere and I mean squirting. Three man team went to work using the training you just recieved to stop the blood. I had the leg and I had to really tighten the tourniquet to stop the blood.

Some of the best training I ever received as a LEO.

I believe it is standard on all Police units the tourniquet's are on the front right hand passenger door.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont know if this one will have us packing pigs or pumps of blood.

Seems like a community type class 1.5hr long.

Just got seated. Only person here so far. Carpeted seminar room of hospital.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I dont know if this one will have us packing pigs or pumps of blood.

Seems like a community type class 1.5hr long.

Just got seated. Only person here so far. Carpeted seminar room of hospital.
View Quote
Do you see and tan fleshlights in the area?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Took a defensive pistol class that kinda sucked until the end. Guy was a medic. Showed us proper tourniquet use with three types, packing wounds, chest sticker thingys and a bunch of other stuff. Great experience.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Good use of time.  I highly recommend it.

Attachment Attached File

I put together my own "kit".
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, now keep 4 kits in my truck.

Virginia Beach is only a short drive from me and after than shit show, I'm keeping trauma kits all over the place.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, we took one at the end of May.  It was very informative and we had some fun practicing in there as well.  There were only four of us in there with the instructors.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Does 4 years of vet school count?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Missed the one here. Local hospital even gave each student a TQ .

Ive done cpr/aed basic FA and 3+ tact med courses.
I keep a pretty decent kit in my car.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#21]
That’s what we used, that thing that looks like a big Vienna Sausage. The instructor said those things are $300 each
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]

We packed gauze into these dry foam simulated wounds and put a catt on our arms.

Also had to listen to 15 minutes about mass shootings becoming an epidemic and sit through a video about run hide fight. And how it's a daily norm for mass shootings now complete with map of exaggerated pin marks making the entire country look blood red.

Ugg
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Also there was a dude from Denmark there who is an RN, and does military medical instruction, and does volunteer emt work here for a few weeks a year. He was just there to see if there was anything unique he could learn.

Interesting guy. Better than that swedish goose guy we have here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes.

I recommend it, whether you've never had any formal training on TQ application or wound packing, or just want a refresher course. Especially for free dollars, you can carve out an hour or two for a class that could legitimately save someone's life. I got lucky in that my local city government ponied up the bucks to give everyone that attended the class a kit with everything we'd used in the hands-on portion of the class, including a Gen7 CAT, for free. Your luck in getting free shit like that probably varies
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
About to head out the door for one out on at local hospital for free.
View Quote
Way more valuable and practical than any shooting course for a civilian is my hot take. They are worth doing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Huh. I did the same, and they covered the three types of bleeding, what to do about each one, and tourniquet use. I did it in August 2018.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

December of 2017 for my class, and we skimmed over TQ use and stuff like that. We were supposed to be the, "first responders" in this manufacturing facility with lathes and mills, and we spent more time with the CPR dummies than talking about bleeding control. We were told to wait for the professionals, essentially.

I didn't pay for the class, so I wasn't too bothered by the lack of content.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://i64.tinypic.com/e0hjjr.jpg

We packed gauze into these dry foam simulated wounds and put a catt on our arms.

Also had to listen to 15 minutes about mass shootings becoming an epidemic and sit through a video about run hide fight. And how it's a daily norm for mass shootings now complete with map of exaggerated pin marks making the entire country look blood red.

Ugg
View Quote
We packed swimming noodles.

This was in San Diego, CA. The hospital near UCSD.

The nurse who taught it played down the active shooter threat. No mass shooting propaganda.

One odd guy taking the course did mention all the mass shootings as his reason for taking the class. The course instructor pointed out that they most often see other causes of bleeding, she listed a bunch, including car accidents, power tool accidents, cuts from shattered glass windows, etc.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I teach one every once in awhile. It’s good, free training that can provide a starting base for someone looking to learn more. It does teach enough to use a TQ and stop bleeding properly in an emergency situation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We packed swimming noodles.

This was in San Diego, CA. The hospital near UCSD.

The nurse who taught it played down the active shooter threat. No mass shooting propaganda.

One odd guy taking the course did mention all the mass shootings as his reason for taking the class. The course instructor pointed out that they most often see other causes of bleeding, she listed a bunch, including car accidents, power tool accidents, cuts from shattered glass windows, etc.
View Quote
I always talk it down.

People are getting fucked up driving to work, at work, and at home...the shooting is what makes the new though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I teach one every once in awhile. It’s good, free training that can provide a starting base for someone looking to learn more. It does teach enough to use a TQ and stop bleeding properly in an emergency situation.
View Quote
Have you ever had a student in the class say that medium flow pads and tampons are just as good as medical equipment for stopping blood flow, and saying that they learned it as a tactical combat medic in the Air Force to back it up
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes. I found it time well spent.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes.  Our Sheriff's Office teamed up with a local hospital to train all the local schools and churches.  Free of charge.  Then they offered it to the general public for free as well.  Everyone who attended got a free kit.  They put 10 kits in each school and church as well.

I know have a kit in each car, 2 in the house and 1 in my range bag.

Good stuff and totally worth the time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you for this thread. Our group of friends could benefit from this. We all have teen and pre-teen boys.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Review: honestly it wasn't that good. I've gotten more info from threads here.

It was basically  a,b,c

Alert 911
Identify bleeding
Compress. (Either through direct pressure, packing wound or tk).

That was it. Better than nothing. But seriously arfcom will already have told us all that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It was basically  a,b,c

Alert 911
Identify bleeding

That was it. Better than nothing. But seriously arfcom will already have told us all that.
View Quote
Not everyone in your class goes to Arfcom University.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stop the Bleed is a program from the  American College of Surgeons. Has nothing to do with the AHA.

While your local instructor may have included some of the StB info in your CPR course, your experience would likely be the exception, not the rule.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, and signed up for TECC course in September, two 8 hour days, can’t wait
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Stop the Bleed is a program from the  American College of Surgeons. Has nothing to do with the AHA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I didn't say it did.

While your local instructor may have included some of the StB info in your CPR course, your experience would likely be the exception, not the rule.
Cool.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Haven’t yet but want to. Need to make the effort...
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ugg
View Quote
That was your instructor being an asshole.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugg
The class I was in was similar
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I just opened the 2.0 slides. I didn’t see a map with mass shootings on it. Maybe I don’t have the full thing cause I’m on my ipad
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Been to 3 so far.  2 have been great..   this last 1 was ok.  I think it's more cause the instructor wasnt all that great and he was trying to push the "here is your free IFAK....but I have these WAY better ones for sale"
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It was basically  a,b,c

Alert 911
Identify bleeding

View Quote
@patchouli

That’s a shame. I had already looked up the next one.

The Army sent me to get certified as an EMT-B, but it’s been 13 years. I could use a refresher.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just opened the 2.0 slides. I didn’t see a map with mass shootings on it. Maybe I don’t have the full thing cause I’m on my ipad
View Quote
Ours had the national map. With dramatic pause. Then she advanced to next slide of prominent state "mass shootings" and dramatically said this brings it really close to home.

Later she said she was a trauma nurse in e.r. and most of the bleeding she saw was from accidents and people putting their hands through windows.

I wanted to say "then why didn't we focus on that instead of 15 minutes on active shooters which most of us are very unlikely to ever be near."

But I didn't..
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ours had the national map. With dramatic pause. Then she advanced to next slide of prominent state "mass shootings" and dramatically said this brings it really close to home.

Later she said she was a trauma nurse in e.r. and most of the bleeding she saw was from accidents and people putting their hands through windows.

I wanted to say "then why didn't we focus on that instead of 15 minutes on active shooters which most of us are very unlikely to ever be near."

But I didn't..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I didn't..
Because normal stuff may be realistic but active threats are motivating?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone in central TX have recommendations on where to take a class?  Always wanted to take a good first aid class that also had more to it like GSWs, etc. I keep a small kit in my range bag but don't know how to properly use most of it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

@patchouli

That’s a shame. I had already looked up the next one.

The Army sent me to get certified as an EMT-B, but it’s been 13 years. I could use a refresher.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/341181/45EE437A-663D-4535-9C46-051650B16786_png-994591.JPG
View Quote

Here ya go. This is basically it. They started at around 1:05 and it was over at 1:50
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://i66.tinypic.com/sv1ld0.jpg

Here ya go. This is basically it. They started at around 1:05 and it was over at 1:50
View Quote
Impressive
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#50]
[Youtube]https://youtu.be/5VcSwejU2D0[/youtube]

This is the video they made us watch. They went to YouTube and loaded it from there. Which gave me the impression it was off-syllabus.

Also said "if anyone needs to turn their head or go outside to avoid the graphic images please do so."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top