Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2023 1:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast]
This is Winslow, he is a sweet dog but he is a few cards short of a full deck.

Attachment Attached File

I thought Goldens were supposed to smart dogs, easy to train, and relatively calm.

This guy can't find his way out of a paper bag, still doesn't respond reliably to recall, and runs around like a complete idiot all day long. In the fall he is so obsessed with chasing blowing leaves he won't come inside, or touch his food all day. He runs around chasing leaves. He has done this ever since he was a puppy. He will fetch a ball a few times but then gets distracted by blowing leaves. He needs a leader to walk, amd we are constantly correcting him worh a training collar for everything. I figured at 2 years he would come around, but no. He is full grown dog woth a puppy brain. He is an absolute dumbass.

I love the guy, he is a sweet dog.  He is just "special".

Anyone else have a Golden that rides the shortbus?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:10:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tjf777] [#1]
We just got one this summer and its the dumbest god damn dog i have ever owned in my life.
He is always happy and excited, but a god damn idiot all the same.

I should mention our previous dog was a German Shepherd.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tjf777:
We just got one this summer and its the dumbest god damn dog i have ever owned in my life.
He is always happy and excited, but a god damn idiot all the same.

I should mention our previous dog was a German Shepherd.
View Quote

We have a retired military K9 and a Golden Retard. We always say the Shepherd is the smartest dog we have ever seen and our Golden isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier. Just shy of a moron but super sweet
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they all are, sweet but march to a different drummer for sure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#4]
This half breed needs a short bus helmet.  (mini golden doodle)

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Our golden retriever had a gift.  It was her life's mission to shit everywhere.  Take her to the ocean?   She runs up into the waves and drops a deuce. Take her to the dog park?  Run up to the top of one of the obstacles and leave a pile.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've trained two retarded Goldens. It takes patience and scooby snacks
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Two golden doodles here. One has poodle smarts but can still be a goofball at times. The other is more of a tard but they are both loving and playful dogs. Wouldn’t trade them for the world
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:47:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#8]
Golden Retrievers seem super friendly and awesome dogs (energetic when younger!) but the ones I've known never struck me as all that intelligent

Border Collies always seemed to be a crazy intelligent breed
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#9]
we are on goldens 7 and 8 and they are incredibly smart we have never had a dumb one. our last one would unlock a dead bolted door, go out close the door, go potty and come back in closing the door behind himself.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Golden Retriever mix.  Possibly Rottweiler, other half.  Looks and acts like a Golden Retriever.  Except when he loses his shit.  Most reactive dog.  And my very best friend.   Two TPLO and Epilepsy...notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
We had a golden when I was a kid. That dog had a one track mind. The only thing he cared about was humping everything in sight. His name you ask? Boner, yes Boner, was his name. It drove my mom crazy but it was the only name he would respond to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#12]
None of my Goldens have been overly bright. The current one is obsessed with gallon jugs. She spends all day carrying around an empty 1 gallon water jug. They're great dogs, but I think their popularity has really done them no favors when it comes to people breeding them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Redundant question is redundant
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
They are (usually) obedient, which isn’t quite the same as intelligent. There are obviously some very smart ones, but on the whole they are considered easy to train because they tend to obey without question once they figure out what you want, not because they are brilliant.

And unless you go to a breeder who is breeding for brains, chances are you won’t get one of the smart ones.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a lab like that. Smart dog, but has no sense.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#16]
...I thought they all were retarded.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top