Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2020 7:49:12 PM EDT
Never been delayed before and I just got delayed until April 15th is this because of covid 19 or something else
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a delay, but the whole PA PICS system has been in and out for a few days.  They *swear* it's not intentional.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Never been delayed before and I just got delayed until April 15th is this because of covid 19 or something else
View Quote
Delayed for a month?

Doesn’t sound even remotely plausible. Or legal given that they have only 3 days, then you get the gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Never heard of a month delay. Store can legally sell to you if do not hear that you are prohibited after 3 business days. Some stores won’t sell without an explicit proceed
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Delayed for a month?

Doesn’t sound even remotely plausible. Or legal given that they have only 3 days, then you get the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Delayed for a month?

Yea, I didn't think that was a thing. I thought it was either a proceed, denied, or crickets, after which 3 days were golden.

I've been delayed often for reasons I'll never understand. I had a proceed come back 2 hrs once. A lot of times I've just come back after a week. Never was told it would take a month.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard PA system shutting down intermittently
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never heard of a month delay. Store can legally sell to you if do not hear that you are prohibited after 3 business days. Some stores won’t sell without an explicit proceed
View Quote
And those stores would never get my repeat business. I'ld be temted to tell them no thanks unless it was an internet order FFL transfer, at which point I would find a new FFL.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I bought a rifle yesterday and I got approved as soon as my ffl hit the submit button
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And those stores would never get my repeat business. I'ld be temted to tell them no thanks unless it was an internet order FFL transfer, at which point I would find a new FFL.
View Quote
Yeah they are shit heads
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a delay, but the whole PA PICS system has been in and out for a few days.  They *swear* it's not intentional.
View Quote
Apparently PICS processed in the neighborhood of 5000 transactions yesterday. One year ago yesterday they processed about 1300. Folks are still arming themselves.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone I trust told me they were having an abnormal amount of delays. But they've also haven't seen sales like this. But he still pings it as very peculiar.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I almost always get delayed. I think the shortest I've had is a half hour and a couple times taken a day or longer.
Per the law I don't think they can take up to a month to approve BUT if the store is backlogged and not sending it in for a month that is a different story.
My understanding is once it is submitted to the government they have 3 days max to deny it or it goes through.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah they are shit heads
View Quote

I have spent over 30k at this store and when she said i was delayed till April 15 i asked about the 3 day rule and she said nope cant let you have it till after the Brady day that the delay says dont know what that means
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I almost always get delayed. I think the shortest I've had is a half hour and a couple times taken a day or longer.
Per the law I don't think they can take up to a month to approve BUT if the store is backlogged and not sending it in for a month that is a different story.
My understanding is once it is submitted to the government they have 3 days max to deny it or it goes through.
View Quote
All electronic usually takes 5-10 mins for an approval to come trough
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Here in Kentucky, I got hit with a "DELAYED" for the 1st time in over 20 years. I guess that the NICS is getting its' balls busted, hard. If nothing else. I get to pick my new piece up in 3 business days.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have spent over 30k at this store and when she said i was delayed till April 15 i asked about the 3 day rule and she said nope cant let you have it till after the Brady day that the delay says dont know what that means
View Quote
Find another FFL if you are in Texas. Mine has transferred to me before after the three days. If you have a che then you can just skip the check and it saves a headache
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Find another FFL if you are in Texas. Mine has transferred to me before after the three days. If you have a che then you can just skip the check and it saves a headache
View Quote
I saw this today as well.  I run NICS checks and have had checks run today pop as as delayed until April 15th.  I thought it was a NY thing (it's complicated) but I've been too busy to call NICS to ask today.  OP's dealer is telling him what is printed on the NICS delay statement.

I have also been seeing an increase in delays over the past few days.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought a gun on Saturday.  Went right through.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]
So no rights until the 15th?
I’m from the government and I’m here to protect you
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought at Bud's retail yesterday around noon. By the time I got to the head of the check-out line (about 20 minutes later) the Kimber was good to go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So no rights until the 15th?
I'm from the government and I'm here to protect you
View Quote
I don't understand it myself.

I'll try to post what the Delay statement tomorrow when I'm back in the shop.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't understand it myself.

I'll try to post what the Delay statement tomorrow when I'm back in the shop.
View Quote
if you can please do because this is bull a right delayed is a right denied
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a TX LTC so, no NICS
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I just saw the 3 week delay being posted from a KS FFL on face book. They said it was from NICS.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#24]
The lines at our shops are out the door and down the street.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been getting outright denied for a couple years now.  Some asshole in NY is a wanted drug dealer with a domestic violence record.  We have the same name but different ages and different SSN's yet I cant get it fixed.
Have dealt with ATF and FBI and they just bounce me around cause they don't care.
Thankfully my wife likes the same guns I do so I just use the ones she buys  This has also caused me to be a big user of Armslist which I prefer anyways.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have been getting outright denied for a couple years now.  Some asshole in NY is a wanted drug dealer with a domestic violence record.  We have the same name but different ages and different SSN's yet I cant get it fixed.
Have dealt with ATF and FBI and they just bounce me around cause they don't care.
Thankfully my wife likes the same guns I do so I just use the ones she buys  This has also caused me to be a big user of Armslist which I prefer anyways.
View Quote
You need to get a UPIN number
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
One of my buddies gets delayed every time. He has nfa goodies too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]
You sure they didn't just say the NICS background check was good for 30 days?

Unless there's some kind of weird state or county law involved, they can't make you wait more than 3 days on a delay...  Per federal regulations.

...but the background check itself is good for a 30 day period from the time they run it. For example, you get approved, but for whatever reason (maybe a lay-a-way gone wrong) don't take possession of the gun for 31 days, they will have to run you again...  Or, if you get a delay, but don't come back to take possession for 31 days, then they have to re-run you.  But per the ATF, they can only make you wait on a delay for 3 days.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a TX LTC so, no NICS
View Quote
same here,haven't done one in over 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You sure they didn't just say the NICS background check was good for 30 days?

Unless there's some kind of weird state or county law involved, they can't make you wait more than 3 days on a delay...  Per federal regulations.

...but the background check itself is good for a 30 day period from the time they run it. For example, you get approved, but for whatever reason (maybe a lay-a-way gone wrong) don't take possession of the gun for 31 days, they will have to run you again...  Or, if you get a delay, but don't come back to take possession for 31 days, then they have to re-run you.  But per the ATF, they can only make you wait on a delay for 3 days.
View Quote
Yes, the statement (as l understood it) wasn't referencing the NICS or NTN's [Nics Transaction Number] expiration date.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you people getting delayed not have a carry permit?  The last 3 states I have lived in don't have to call in if you have a permit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#32]
What is this NCIS check you speak of.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
@Hanz
Can you post the documentation you mentioned please?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey look!
A statement from the NICS login page that I guess most users blow past:

Good Afternoon,

As the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section works through the impact of the COVID-19 operationally, we are working to maintain our services. We are aware that states may be considering options to protect the health and safety of their employees, which may include a reduction in office availability or even closure to some offices.

Should a state choose to limit their days of operation or close state offices, this could potentially impact the Brady Transfer Date (BTD) by changing the time in which an FFL can legally transfer a firearm in a delayed status. The NICS Section urges FFLs to be cognizant of the impact this may have to your day-to-day operations, and also to stress the importance of adhering to the BTD that is provided to you at the time a transaction is put into a Delay status. The Brady Act does not federally prohibit an FFL from transferring a firearm after the third business day expires, even if the NICS Section has been unable to provide a proceed response, pursuant to 18 U.S.C.  922(t)(1).

We appreciate your patience and partnership during this critical time and potential impact to NICS operations.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hey look!

Good Afternoon,

As the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section works through the impact of the COVID-19 operationally, we are working to maintain our services. We are aware that states may be considering options to protect the health and safety of their employees, which may include a reduction in office availability or even closure to some offices.

Should a state choose to limit their days of operation or close state offices, this could potentially impact the Brady Transfer Date (BTD) by changing the time in which an FFL can legally transfer a firearm in a delayed status. The NICS Section urges FFLs to be cognizant of the impact this may have to your day-to-day operations, and also to stress the importance of adhering to the BTD that is provided to you at the time a transaction is put into a Delay status. The Brady Act does not federally prohibit an FFL from transferring a firearm after the third business day expires, even if the NICS Section has been unable to provide a proceed response, pursuant to 18 U.S.C.  922(t)(1).

We appreciate your patience and partnership during this critical time and potential impact to NICS operations.
View Quote
Can you explain the first bolded part? Isn’t it antithetical to the second part you bolded?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey look!

Good Afternoon,

View Quote
so if I print this out or pull it up on my phone and show them after 3 days they should give me my gun yes?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

so if I print this out or pull it up on my phone and show them after 3 days they should give me my gun yes?
View Quote
Some gun stores have policies that say unless a clear processed is received they won’t sell to you
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope....Ass Pro won't release it until a "proceed" is given.  I went in Monday to pick up a full-size 9mm that was on sale, got delayed, told me if no "proceed" was given, come back in 30 days and redo the paperwork.  It's a corporate policy for them after Ass Pro took over Cabelas.  I told them if I didn't get a response by Friday, shove it up their ass.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Can you explain the first bolded part? Isn't it antithetical to the second part you bolded?
View Quote
I didn't compose that.  It's a copypasta from NICS's website.

Here are my NTN's in delay status.  You can see the Brady transfer dates get wonky in relation to the creation date/time.

Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#40]
LGS said they were around 6300 waiting to be processed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Here are my NTN's in delay status.  You can see the Brady transfer dates get wonky in relation to the creation date/time.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49674101573_e8eb4f328b_b.jpgUntitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
View Quote
What is the Brady transfer date ?
Thanks for your input btw
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49674101573_e8eb4f328b_b.jpgUntitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr
View Quote
could the days change and get processed sooner or is the 15th the quickest possible
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#43]
My friendly neighborhood pawn shop couldn’t even get through to NICS on the phone all day Tuesday. It cost him a ton of gun sales, he was bummed.

The guy that does my transfers does it via the internet, I don’t know how he’s doing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What is the Brady transfer date ?
Thanks for your input btw
View Quote
You're welcome.

Typically the Brady date is when I have NICS's blessing to transfer the firearm to the purchaser without NICS updating the NTN to a Proceed status.  As stated before, not all businesses will do that.  I always did but NY now has made things complicated.

I run a background check and NICS assigns it an NTN and I get one of three responses.
1. Proceed - purchaser can leave with the firearm immediately
2. Delay - wait until Brady date to transfer
3. Deny - Cannot transfer and purchaser may start the NICS appeal process

Delays don't always get updated by NICS and converted to proceed status.  After the delay the remain in "open" status.  A firearm transferred on the Brady date is typically in open status.  Sometimes NICS will update (re-examine) and convert from open to proceed sooner than the Brady date.  When that happens the shop may release the firearm to the purchaser as soon as they are notified.

I hope I'm making sense - it's been a rough couple of days.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

could the days change and get processed sooner or is the 15th the quickest possible
View Quote
Yes, NICS may choose to re-examine your check and update your status from delayed open to proceed.  But, they have been very busy and I wouldn't count on it as I assume they do that during slow periods.

Internet NICS checks are much better than the telephone.  Faster and easier.  The phone is my plan B.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes, NICS may choose to re-examine your check and update your status from delayed open to proceed.  But, they have been very busy and I wouldn't count on it as I assume they do that during slow periods.

Internet NICS checks are much better than the telephone.  Faster and easier.  The phone is my plan B.
View Quote
thanks for all you're help this just blows
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You're welcome.

Typically the Brady date is when I have NICS's blessing to transfer the firearm to the purchaser without NICS updating the NTN to a Proceed status.  As stated before, not all businesses will do that.  I always did but NY now has made things complicated.

I run a background check and NICS assigns it an NTN and I get one of three responses.
1. Proceed - purchaser can leave with the firearm immediately
2. Delay - wait until Brady date to transfer
3. Deny - Cannot transfer and purchaser may start the NICS appeal process

Delays don't always get updated by NICS and converted to proceed status.  After the delay the remain in "open" status.  A firearm transferred on the Brady date is typically in open status.  Sometimes NICS will update (re-examine) and convert from open to proceed sooner than the Brady date.  When that happens the shop may release the firearm to the purchaser as soon as they are notified.

I hope I'm making sense - it's been a rough couple of days.
View Quote
So basically NICS is saying wait 15 days now instead of the normal 3 to proceed if you don’t hear back from us?

Edit: but you could transfer at the 3 day mark?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Local gun shop said everyone has gotten delayed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Shut down NICS and make America great again
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So basically NICS is saying wait 15 days now instead of the normal 3 to proceed if you don’t hear back from us?

Edit: but you could transfer at the 3 day mark?
View Quote
28 days and if I'm reading that right cant let you take the gun until after the Brady date
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top