User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://image.prntscr.com/image/1F_DgO-YRa2eSnofUI2K_w.png

I think we all know where that .1 % nigerian is on me, yeah that's right.
View Quote
When You get sued for stretching one all out, get back to us.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, I did it but they’ll never use me for one of those, “We thought we were Italian but now I need liederhosen” commercials because we always thought we were Irish.....and I came back as 98% Irish. I’m from Boston. My name is Sean. Who’da thunk it?
View Quote
You needed a dna test for that? Lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You might find out you have children you didn't know about.  Or, they might find you.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did the 23andme kit. It essentially substantiated my assumed heredity of German and Italian though there was a significant amount DNA of UK origin as well as some N. African as well as sub-Saharan.

I did the test for my children as I'm adopted and had no idea as to genetic risk factors.  As for this being a USG Intel gathering effort....perhaps but Uncle Sugar started taking my DNA in about 1985 so I'm not too worried about it.

Here's my breakdown. I also have what appears to be a sister or 1st cousin floating around out there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/696/Screen_Shot_2018-11-13_at_8_03_52_AM_png-737518.JPG

Also, keep this in mind peasants, when one of you decides to talk shit to me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/696/Screen_Shot_2018-11-13_at_8_13_13_AM_png-737523.JPG
View Quote
Hi cousin.

I am King Henry VIII's 14th great grandson.(Via my slutty 14th great grandmother....but what are you going to do? Not fuck the Kind of England?)
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
My kid already did his through Ancestry DNA and is on file with the military so me not doing it is a moot point anyway.

I did it as I am adopted and wondered what my mongrel mix was.  It also matched me with a few people that I have no plans to reach out to.

Results were interesting to say the least.  I know my son is definitely mine.  His nickname is "Verified Son" now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know my mother or father.

Don't feel the need to know where they came from.

[shrug]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I signed up for Ancestry.com a couple years ago while drunk. Never checked my credit card statements. Payed for it for like 8 months without even remembering I signed up. Never got any results, but I believe I come from a long line of alcoholics and poor money managers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You not pay much attention the last couple of years?

People are getting rolled up on decades old DNA simply because a relative sent something in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you a fucking CIA agent? There are 330 million people in this country. If you died tomorrow, in the grand scheme of things no one would know or care.

People are getting rolled up on decades old DNA simply because a relative sent something in.
Police/LE have been solving lots of cold cases the past year with DNA, expect to see a LOT more of this cold case clean up.  Not making an argument for good or bad, just stating a fact.

Just yesterday on FOX
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Wife and I just sent our 23&me tests off last week.

And for the record the government already has my DNA from the Marine Corps so screw it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm a WASP
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Google thanks you for giving them everything they need to frame you for rape/murder.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Northern European, Nordic.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist was caught using GEDMatch, a USER ASSEMBLED DATABASE. See that part?
People voluntarily submitted their DNA results from the major houses into a publicly accessible database, NOT OWNED BY the police, big DNA, the Mormon Church or the Illuminati (as far as we know).

Ancestry will only show matches to their database, and as long as you maintain your subscription.
23andMe will show you your top 1000 matches.
MyHeritage is a relatively new player, but only shows matches in their database.
FamilyTreeDNA is a big player, with YDNA and MTDNA tests along with autosomal tests.

GEDMatch does not do testing. They provide a crossmatch service, so if your cousin tested at 23andMe and you tested at Ancestry, you can find each other.
The police came along, took the GSK sample they had, configured it to fit the database structure, and eventually found several men that were of the right age, and in the right region. They got a warrant, confirmed the DNA discarded by the suspect matched the samples from the crime scene, and arrested him.

Since then, Parabon has been doing this with other samples provided by police agencies. They've identified murder victims, discovered hidden criminals and did it using the GEDMatch database to find close matches. Other records, like Facebook or the commercial DNA databases can be used to key in on possible suspects. Then ordinary police work happens to verify if the suspect has really been identified.

But the databases are large enough now that if your third cousin has taken a test and submitted those results to GEDMatch, it's possible to identify about 60% of the population from that match.

The CODIS database only uses 12 markers. And that was terrific, in 1995. Technology has marched on.
The government (at this time) does not have their database accessible to the police, unless some criminal proceeding has already taken place. IIRC, they will confim a sample matches their database, but they do not allow 'fishing expeditions.'
Reseachers have databases they use to track cancers, or discover how we are affected by our genetic codes, but these are not centralized and not (usually) available for matching for legal purposes.
3 of the big DNA houses will sell access to their (anonymized) database for research purposes. 23andMe, Ancestry and My Heritage allow this, in their Terms of Service. Read Them.  FamilyTreeDNA does not.

IF you want to know about your medical history, 23andMe is focused that way. FamilyTreeDNA is focused on genetic genealogy, helping people find family. MyHeritage and Ancestry both want to make money, providing hosts for family genealogy and DNA is a value-added extra service.

Pick your house carefully, read the TOS, and determine what level of comfort you have in allowing your DNA to be available, either commercially or publicly.

Be aware, you might discover 'Mommy's baby, Daddy's maybe' could be true at any point in your history. If this worries you, don't take a test. People have had secrets revealed that they had hoped would never see the light of day. (Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time!)

But make an INFORMED decision. Don't just repeat the same old watercooler story from the past. We keep learning more and more about what makes us what we are, and where we've been.
Investigate for yourself. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow. Another well researched, well informed opinion, unaltered by the facts. Thanks.
View Quote
Titus 3:9 says
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

These dna test things are the Titus 3:9 package deal
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Titus 3:9 says
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
These dna test things are the Titus 3:9 package deal
View Quote
Thank you for offering your view. It sounds very much like:
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Bill Burr Doesn’t Trust Technology | CONAN on TBS
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are afraid of doing a DNA test then you better not give blood or have a blood test done.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]
A male on the mothers side (one of my uncles) has done one, the only real value I see in it is that it identifies the haplo/family group we are in. That group shows a distribution of that DNA group across the Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia, we are also almost completely from the British Isles. That is a surprise to no one as it coincides with the Scots-Irish migration into Virginia and the rest of the South.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife's family did them and I got dragged into it even though I thought it was a waste because my parents came here from Ireland.

Found out I was 93% Irish, 2% Finnish, 2% Scandinavian, 2% Scottish and 1% Iberian Peninsula.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My wife's family did them and I got dragged into it even though I thought it was a waste because my parents came here from Ireland.

Found out I was 93% Irish, 2% Finnish, 2% Scandinavian, 2% Scottish and 1% Iberian Peninsula.
View Quote
Have you applied for Irish citizenship? I think that's a pretty cool deal they have going. If I had the opportunity I know I would do it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A male on the mothers side (one of my uncles) has done one, the only real value I see in it is that it identifies the haplo/family group we are in. That group shows a distribution of that DNA group across the Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia, we are also almost completely from the British Isles. That is a surprise to no one as it coincides with the Scots-Irish migration into Virginia and the rest of the South.
View Quote
Your father's side could show a different haplogroup. This happens! For example:
Dad's side (FTDNA): Haplogroup R-P312 is the descendant of the major R-P25 (aka R-M343) lineage and is the most common in Central Europe, Spain, France, Portugal, and the British Isles.

Mom's side (FTDNA): Haplogroup I dates to 23,000 years ago, or older. The I-P215 lineage is about 15,000 years old and began in southern Europe. Today it is found primarily in Sardinia and the Balkans. Haplogroup I represents one of the first peoples in Europe.

Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I used ancestry.com 74% English,  4% Swedish, 4% French, Finish, and Scottish. But I am 100% American.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

People Criminals are getting rolled up on decades old DNA simply because a relative sent something in.
View Quote
Don’t forget one night stands and soldiers on leave, had a vet stop by my jewelry store with his new daughter and grand daughter over an ancestory DNA search.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your father's side could show a different haplogroup. This happens! For example:
Dad's side (FTDNA): Haplogroup R-P312 is the descendant of the major R-P25 (aka R-M343) lineage and is the most common in Central Europe, Spain, France, Portugal, and the British Isles.

Mom's side (FTDNA): Haplogroup I dates to 23,000 years ago, or older. The I-P215 lineage is about 15,000 years old and began in southern Europe. Today it is found primarily in Sardinia and the Balkans. Haplogroup I represents one of the first peoples in Europe.

Cool stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool stuff.
it absolutely will, for black magic reasons the DNA sample needs to come from a male in the line, thus for my mothers side of the family one of my uncles (with her maiden name) did that test.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I signed up for Ancestry.com a couple years ago while drunk. Never checked my credit card statements. Payed for it for like 8 months without even remembering I signed up. Never got any results, but I believe I come from a long line of alcoholics and poor money managers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
it absolutely will, for black magic reasons the DNA sample needs to come from a male in the line, thus for my mothers side of the family one of my uncles (with her maiden name) did that test.
View Quote
LOL. Black magic reasons. I love it. The Y can only be passed from a father to a son.  So we can trace the direct paternal line, easily.
Girls get two X's, and you can't tell by looking which X came from which side. As a substitute, we can trace the DNA in the mitochondria. That comes from the egg, and thus, mothers pass it to their children. It has quite a few less genes than the autosomal chromosomes, but we can still track children to their mothers. But it mutates slowly and thus it is harder identify generations by tracking when those changes occur.

Because I bought a test for my mom, I know her mtDNA haplogroup.
I didn't get Dad to do one before he passed away, so I have to get one of his siblings to take that test. So far, not much luck on that project. Maybe someday.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
LOL. Black magic reasons. I love it. The Y can only be passed from a father to a son.  So we can trace the direct paternal line, easily.
Girls get two X's, and you can't tell by looking which X came from which side. As a substitute, we can trace the DNA in the mitochondria. That comes from the egg, and thus, mothers pass it to their children. It has quite a few less genes than the autosomal chromosomes, but we can still track children to their mothers. But it mutates slowly and thus it is harder identify generations by tracking when those changes occur.

I didn't get Dad to do one before he passed away, so I have to get one of his siblings to take that test. So far, not much luck on that project. Maybe someday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist was caught using GEDMatch, a USER ASSEMBLED DATABASE. See that part?
People voluntarily submitted their DNA results from the major houses into a publicly accessible database, NOT OWNED BY the police, big DNA, the Mormon Church or the Illuminati (as far as we know).

Ancestry will only show matches to their database, and as long as you maintain your subscription.
23andMe will show you your top 1000 matches.
MyHeritage is a relatively new player, but only shows matches in their database.
FamilyTreeDNA is a big player, with YDNA and MTDNA tests along with autosomal tests.

GEDMatch does not do testing. They provide a crossmatch service, so if your cousin tested at 23andMe and you tested at Ancestry, you can find each other.
The police came along, took the GSK sample they had, configured it to fit the database structure, and eventually found several men that were of the right age, and in the right region. They got a warrant, confirmed the DNA discarded by the suspect matched the samples from the crime scene, and arrested him.

Since then, Parabon has been doing this with other samples provided by police agencies. They've identified murder victims, discovered hidden criminals and did it using the GEDMatch database to find close matches. Other records, like Facebook or the commercial DNA databases can be used to key in on possible suspects. Then ordinary police work happens to verify if the suspect has really been identified.

But the databases are large enough now that if your third cousin has taken a test and submitted those results to GEDMatch, it's possible to identify about 60% of the population from that match.

The CODIS database only uses 12 markers. And that was terrific, in 1995. Technology has marched on.
The government (at this time) does not have their database accessible to the police, unless some criminal proceeding has already taken place. IIRC, they will confim a sample matches their database, but they do not allow 'fishing expeditions.'
Reseachers have databases they use to track cancers, or discover how we are affected by our genetic codes, but these are not centralized and not (usually) available for matching for legal purposes.
3 of the big DNA houses will sell access to their (anonymized) database for research purposes. 23andMe, Ancestry and My Heritage allow this, in their Terms of Service. Read Them.  FamilyTreeDNA does not.

IF you want to know about your medical history, 23andMe is focused that way. FamilyTreeDNA is focused on genetic genealogy, helping people find family. MyHeritage and Ancestry both want to make money, providing hosts for family genealogy and DNA is a value-added extra service.

Pick your house carefully, read the TOS, and determine what level of comfort you have in allowing your DNA to be available, either commercially or publicly.

Be aware, you might discover 'Mommy's baby, Daddy's maybe' could be true at any point in your history. If this worries you, don't take a test. People have had secrets revealed that they had hoped would never see the light of day. (Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time!)

But make an INFORMED decision. Don't just repeat the same old watercooler story from the past. We keep learning more and more about what makes us what we are, and where we've been.
Investigate for yourself. Good luck.
View Quote
Given the tinfoil the mference, I assume it’s directed at my comments...

Look, it doesn’t matter that the DNA data is held privately, it’s that the government has access to it and uses it. This is no different than the traffic camera networks being maintained under the guise of finding cars who’s owners are in loan default, but selling the data on a subscription basis to LEO agencies.

Give an inch, they take a mile. Technology ALWAYS is used to enslave before it can liberate.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]
There's no way in hell I'd give my DNA to the system willingly.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Given the tinfoil the mference, I assume it’s directed at my comments...

Look, it doesn’t matter that the DNA data is held privately, it’s that the government has access to it and uses it. This is no different than the traffic camera networks being maintained under the guise of finding cars who’s owners are in loan default, but selling the data on a subscription basis to LEO agencies.

Give an inch, they take a mile. Technology ALWAYS is used to enslave before it can liberate.
View Quote
If the shoe fits....

The question asked was "Who HAS taken..." not "Roll call off people who won't take a DNA test because...." . So when we finally raid the Lizard Peoples caverns, you're pretty sure we won't find your clones in their food vats? Ok, good. I'll make a note.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's no way in hell I'd give my DNA to the system willingly.
View Quote
Do you carry around a little spray bottle of bleach and mist all the straws you use at restaurants?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do you carry around a little spray bottle of bleach and mist all the straws you use at restaurants?
View Quote
With the ability to detect and use touchDNA, he'd be silly to not go out in full MOPP gear. Never know when a DNA fragment might go astray.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#33]
lol
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't think this has been posted yet;

Some say that no DNA is completely anonymous anymore.
https://www.wired.com/story/genome-hackers-show-no-ones-dna-is-anonymous-anymore/
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah, it does sound bad when you put it like that. What could go wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that where you send a private company your entire genetic profile via a DNA sample?

That would be a solid NO.
Yeah, it does sound bad when you put it like that. What could go wrong
They could share it with the gov't and probably will.

Next they will be raiding your house at Zero-Dark-Thirty because
your DNA is a 'reasonable match' at some crime scene.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They could share it with the gov't and probably will.

Next they will be raiding your house at Zero-Dark-Thirty because
your DNA is a 'reasonable match' at some crime scene.
View Quote
Right, because if they are going to frame you on that level there is no other way they could possibly do it
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#37]
My sister did one so, defacto
It was her last step to confirm relationships that we have a celeb relative

Cousin Johnny!

Quoted:

Police/LE have been solving lots of cold cases the past year with DNA, expect to see a LOT more of this cold case clean up.  Not making an argument for good or bad, just stating a fact.

Just yesterday on FOX
View Quote
I never killed or raped anybody so I'm good and if a relative has they deserve to be caught
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#38]
it's that your genetic profile will be available, and possibly used in the future for various purposes...

say you have a marker that gives a high probablility of a cancer, and an insurance company sees it, and prices your insurance policy appropriately, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah, I did it but they’ll never use me for one of those, “We thought we were Italian but now I need liederhosen” commercials because we always thought we were Irish.....and I came back as 98% Irish. I’m from Boston. My name is Sean. Who’da thunk it?
View Quote
Lmao

That's pretty cool that your'e 98% of a specific area.  You are a pedigree!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Right, because if they are going to frame you on that level there is no other way they could possibly do it
View Quote
Innocent people have been sent to jail even executed with less evidence.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I did the Ancestry thing (it was a gift) and apparently I'm super white. My mother is actually from England, even has dual citizenship to prove it.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187410/Ancestry_PNG-737525.JPG
View Quote
Greetings fellow ultra white person!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a half sister who is ten years older than I. No one in my family knew about her. She was born in San Francisco when my mom was 21 or 22 and put up for adoption.  The kicker? She is black lol.  Seems like a cool chick, lives in San Diego and teaches school for the Navy.   My mom is dead so I can't ask her about this, my stepfather is dead so if he ever knew well...   I asked my Dad and he she never told him about a tryst with a black man and a baby.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a half sister who is ten years older than I. No one in my family knew about her. She was born in San Francisco when my mom was 21 or 22 and put up for adoption.  The kicker? She is black lol.  Seems like a cool chick, lives in San Diego and teaches school for the Navy.   My mom is dead so I can't ask her about this, my stepfather is dead so if he ever knew well...   I asked my Dad and he she never told him about a tryst with a black man and a baby.
View Quote
Rape victim? Who knows?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Here is a company that will get dna off old stamps and envelopes:

https://www.totheletterdna.com/
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm doing the $200 23 and me test (on sale for Black Friday). I've never meet my dad, and my mom is a little nuts. I just turned 40 yrs old and don't really know what ethnicity I am. My mom is supposedly German and Cherokee Indian, but like I said, she it nuts. She told me my dad was Mexican, but I've had people tell me they though I was Black, Filipino, and Arab. It would nice to just know. Right now I just tell everyone I'm a White guy who got let in the oven a little to long.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm doing the $200 23 and me test (on sale for Black Friday). I've never meet my dad, and my mom is a little nuts. I just turned 40 yrs old and don't really know what ethnicity I am. My mom is supposedly German and Cherokee Indian, but like I said, she it nuts. She told me my dad was Mexican, but I've had people tell me they though I was Black, Filipino, and Arab. It would nice to just know. Right now I just tell everyone I'm a White guy who got let in the oven a little to long.
View Quote
Well it sounds like yours will be more interesting than mine. I just got mine back last week and I am 99.8%  Western European and that other .2%? That's not anything else it is just unspecified DNA. So basically I am one of the whitest dudes you will meet. But it wasn't unexpected with distinct family names and having been in the Appalachias for as long as the family history goes back.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#47]
All of the big houses were or are having sales this time of year.

Keep in mind that the ethnicity estimates are just that - estimates. 25 years from now, they may be able to tell what county all 16 (or 2, in WV & KY) of your great great grandparents came from. But not today.

99.9% White boy mongrel, here. England, Ireland, NW Europe and a tinge of Norway. Great American Melting Pot mutt, essentially.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:07:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Got mine back and I am 99.8 European.  Funny part is I have documentation from great grandparents on both sides showing settlements from the US government related to violating Indian rights.  From what I can tell is they only show Indian ancestry if you are Mayan ETC.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm 1/1024th Indian (Dime Store, wooden)
....do I get a cigar?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Not only do I not want to be giving my DNA out, but I'm not even convinced those give real results.  I seem to remember some "we updated our data and here is your revised ancestry" thing.  For all you really know they have a random number generator that spits out a 'profile' for you.  Who could really call them on it?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top