Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2022 11:02:31 AM EDT
I’m thinking about buying a couple dirt bikes to see if I can get the kid and wife into some trail riding. I don’t have a very good grasp of the current buying market though.

Are these now like cars, where you pay msrp and there is no wiggle room?

I looked at one for the kid over the weekend and initial price from sales guy is msrp plus the various fees.

In the old world, I bought several motorcycles so I know how it used to work, but don’t know how things work in the new world.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sellers market. Been that way for five or six years now. Sold a 2002 Suzuki DR650 w/ 67,000 miles for $2,200 with an oil leak to an auction company last year.

Attachment Attached File

SxS have been the hottest item in powersports for nearly a decade. Like yeti coolers, bro trucks and bass boats — they are going down anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Luck lol

I took Delivery of my 2021 RZR XP4 1000 Premium about a year ago....it was MSRP.

If we didn't take it, there was a line of people who wanted it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s a lot just to see if they like it.  We have some rental places out here that will give you bikes on a trailer for a reasonable rate.

You may have the same too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s a lot just to see if they like it.  We have some rental places out here that will give you bikes on a trailer for a reasonable rate.

You may have the same too.
View Quote

Yeah, it is a little crazy. I’m not aware of any rental places around here.  The ones I’m looking at are on the less expensive end.

Figure if they don’t like it, I can resell in a year or two and not be out much.

The daughter is 7.5 and said she wanted to learn to ride. Planning a Yamaha ttr50 for her. If she sticks with it, I’ll consider getting one for the wife and I. Or I may just get the kids and mine to start

Wife used to ride street with me. We sold her street bike after daughter was born. I’m thinking  of a Yamaha xt250 for her. She said she wants low seat height. I figure the xt250 would be enough bike for her to putt around some trails and then she could take it around town if she wanted. She won’t ever be hammering any sort of technical trial or anything.

Thinking of a Kawasaki klx300r for me. I have 10 years of atv and 20 years of street bike experience but zero trail bike experience. Looks like the 300r would be a bit more than the 230/250 trail bikes but well short of the 450s.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a new Crf300l this last week and bought new at MSRP because used cost was too close, or more. Unless your wife is tall, even a 35” seat height is up there and can’t go wrong with a t bike for kids.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
MSRP for a 22 General XP4 . Ordered end of June , pick it up Saturday
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Msrp for a 22 KX for my son.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I paid MSRP on a new Honda ATV.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The place I bought my ATV two years ago called me last week asking if I wanted to sell it back to them.  He said the inventory of new toys is all jacked with no end in sight.  I have friends who have and are still waiting months for new ATVs and SxS to come in.

I would expect MSRP for the time being.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m seeing a theme here…

sounds like I should expect to pay msrp and not much advantage buying used.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd pick a use PW50 over the TTR, lighter. They last forever and most kids end up not riding them, pretty easy to find a good one.
My son started on a PW50.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
(Delete, I think we can have conversations without throwing that around. Rat_Patrol) I can't speak on behalf of quads. But dirt bikes have definitely been pretty nuts the past few years
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a new atv in October. No haggle paid msrp, and it was one of the few I could in the showroom.

See if there are any MSF offroad courses nearby that loan for the class. Our Game and Fish do them for free and have (at least atvs) machines for use. This way they get a certification and familiar with trail riding.  I was on active duty and went through the Safety Center to get free training in California.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bought a new atv in October. No haggle paid msrp, and it was one of the few I could in the showroom.

See if there are any MSF offroad courses nearby that loan for the class. Our Game and Fish do them for free and have (at least atvs) machines for use. This way they get a certification and familiar with trail riding.  I was on active duty and went through the Safety Center to get free training in California.

View Quote

I didn’t know msf did courses for off road..thanks!

Looks like msf offers 2 off-road classes within an hour of me. Beginner level and one up from beginner that you can take after passing beginner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sellers market. Been that way for five or six years now. Sold a 2002 Suzuki DR650 w/ 67,000 miles for $2,200 with an oil leak to an auction company last year.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif

SxS have been the hottest item in powersports for nearly a decade. Like yeti coolers, bro trucks and bass boats — they are going down anytime soon.
View Quote

I just sold a 2007 Suzuki ATV for $2900 and the buyer probably got a fair deal.  I was happy because I paid quite a bit less a few years ago for it. The used power sports market is crazy right now.  

If buying new, call around and find who has the best price...and then jump on it.  Don't expect them to come down....at all.  They don't have to.  There's some sucker out there who will step up and buy it if you don't.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
(Delete, I think we can have conversations without throwing that around. Rat_Patrol) I can't speak on behalf of quads. But dirt bikes have definitely been pretty nuts the past few years
View Quote

LOL, I saw the original and I can tell you that is exactly what a dirt biker would say.
< 48 years of dirt biking
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Most dealers are being very creative with pricing. Meaning you'll be lucky to pay MSRP. Most are adding "fees" and destination charges on top. Up to $1500 more then MSRP seems to be the norm. Don't be surprised to see more. NO haggle; pay the price or tough crap.

Used bikes are fricken crazy. 20 year old bikes are nearly MSRP. Of course you save the fee's but beat to death POS, no thanks.

Your buying at the WRONG time. Stealerships are empty and the ski is the limit.  I would wait til things settle down unless money is no issue then spend away. If you can find anything.

53 years on dirt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]
MSRP new DR650.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Tried to haggle on my RMax, he said not this time (I've worked with him before), MSRP or nada.  It was the only 2dr SxS he had, and it was a very desirable trim pkg.  As I was signing paperwork in his office 15min later someone walked in trying to buy the same unit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thinking of a Kawasaki klx300r for me. I have 10 years of atv and 20 years of street bike experience but zero trail bike experience. Looks like the 300r would be a bit more than the 230/250 trail bikes but well short of the 450s.

View Quote

I recently (two months ago) sold my KTM 790 Adventure R and bought a KLX300.

I particularly wanted the camo version. I called around (and used the Kawasaki website that has a pretty accurate inventory) and there were two within a 100 miles of me and both wanted MSRP.

Found some further away and same deal. No reason for them to make better deals since the bikes were in short supply and selling very quickly.

Very few KLX300s on the used market that I could find at the time and they were asking over MSRP

Really like mine, mostly ride forest roads in the mountains. The KTM was too big and too heavy for the type of riding I was doing.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 3 Can-Ams last year- I bought whatever they had coming in and payed full retail. I just ordered a SXS, full retail again and I might get it by summer. Just the way it is right now. The local dealer sells stuff almost immediately, when he can get it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Took me better part of a year to find the machine I wanted... I didnt even bother to haggle with the dealer, put a 2k deposit down on the spot said call me when its in... Took 3 months or so.. This was for a basic Honda foreman.. The used market is nuts as well, my buddy grabbed a 97... 1997 honda rancher with unknown miles on it for 3200, didnt even bat an eye, they are hard to come by these days.. That machine was very clean looking, and was garage kept, The guy he bought if off of had about 5 phone calls in the 20 minutes it took my friend to get there.. Did we both over pay? sure? who knows? how long do you wanna wait around to only find out the price you passed up might be the lowest youll get..
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I looked at side by sides since I now have a place to ride and a used Ranger or Jeep may be a better deal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I particularly wanted the camo version. I called around (and used the Kawasaki website that has a pretty accurate inventory) and there were two within a 100 miles of me and both wanted MSRP.

Found some further away and same deal. No reason for them to make better deals since the bikes were in short supply and selling very quickly.

Very few KLX300s on the used market that I could find at the time and they were asking over MSRP

Really like mine, mostly ride forest roads in the mountains. The KTM was too big and too heavy for the type of riding I was doing.

View Quote

Im interested in the dual sport klx300 too and have been comparing the two more. I just don’t know how much trail capability I would be giving up. I definitely don’t envision doing anything remotely hardcore off-road. Just trails and some wheelies is what I’m envisioning

I know the r has more suspension travel, gearing differences and maybe more maintenance.

I’d likely get more use out of a dual sport, but I’ve already got a road bike, so kinda leaning towards the r to get all the trail/off road benefits.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Im interested in the dual sport klx300 too and have been comparing the two more. I just don’t know how much trail capability I would be giving up. I definitely don’t envision doing anything remotely hardcore off-road. Just trails and some wheelies is what I’m envisioning

I know the r has more suspension travel, gearing differences and maybe more maintenance.

I’d likely get more use out of a dual sport, but I’ve already got a road bike, so kinda leaning towards the r to get all the trail/off road benefits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never considered the R model since I wanted street legal.

I did consider some more powerful bikes but most of them are too tall for me and some (like the KTM350 EXCF) are a lot more expensive.

I think I will be happy with with the KLX300. I haven’t really pushed it too hard yet since I’m still in the break in period.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neither of those bikes are true "off-road" bikes.
Fire roads, easy ATV trails.
They are too underpowered, too heavy and lack the suspension to be true play bikes in the dirt.
I have a friend who bought a new KLX300R in February because he didn't want to wait until June to buy a Beta Xtrainer or a Reiju 200 Ranger.
He's kicking himself for not waiting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been selling off bikes left and right recently, I've owned all of them for at least 5 years and I'm selling for more than I paid.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Just bought this a couple weeks ago, for $10,800 OTD. Gas Gas is running a promo on their 4 stroke dirt bikes right now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]
MSRP for a Yz250X, and I was lucky to get it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’m thinking about buying a couple dirt bikes to see if I can get the kid and wife into some trail riding. I don’t have a very good grasp of the current buying market though.

Are these now like cars, where you pay msrp and there is no wiggle room?

I looked at one for the kid over the weekend and initial price from sales guy is msrp plus the various fees.
View Quote

Yeah.  Around here, you're not even likely to find anything in inventory, you'll get on a waiting list, and of course you'll pay MSRP plus every fee they can think of.  If not, they've got a waiting list of people that will pay the fees and buy it instead of you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#32]
We bought the kids two new Pitster Pro pit bikes  for less than one decent used  Japanese 50 cc.  Pitster and GPX are the best of the  Chinese bikes and have a large US fan base on facebook. The importer in a stand up guy in Utah. I figured the 8 and 12 year old would out grow them and we could throw them away and be ahead vs deprecation on  new Jap bikes.
Lots of Utube on both Pitster and GPX.
We got ours direct from importer and worked free shipping into the price + no tax For the 90 and 110 E start semi auto.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Know a widow who needs to sell an indoors kept, low hours 1999 4x4 Kawasaki Mule with manual dump bed, I think it's a 2510.

2nd owner was a flipper who bought it at an estate sale, detailed it and sold it to the present widow's husband.
Husband bought it for $4500 pre-Covid, drove it maybe five hours, changed the oil and spark plugs.

What's something like that worth?
I'm seeing auctions around $2-3k, but I doubt they're in similar condition.
What few CL ads I can find are thousands of miles away and about what he paid for it, but asking price isn't necessarily a selling price.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif

View Quote
Yup.  pre-chinaflu.  When I test drove two side by sides, I had to make an immediate choice.  I bought one, the people that got there a minute after me bought the other.

I am kicking around buying a 4 seater right now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Expect to pay MSRP.

I couldn't even get my dealer to throw in a free winch when I bought my RZR.

Edit: Ha! I see this is a really old thread!
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#36]
My buddy’s step kid was hanging around the Honda dealership and they low balled a trade on a slick 300 dirt bike. I didn’t pay much attention but he got it for about $750 above trade. I think he said $2,750. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but the kid was happy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd go used on the kids bike. They grow out of them fast and will be pre-scratched.

My boys, from 4/6 to 16/18 have gone through 9 quads/dirt bikes. Thankfully they won't need a larger bikes, if they want a bigger/faster one it's on their dime.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a 2022 KLX300R back February 2022.  I bought out of state and picked up the bike for MSRP.  Avoided the tax and any registration/title fees.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Some friends of mine just bought a new Polaris General 4 seater.   It wasn’t cheap but they had a few in stock apparently. I’ve been by a few local dealers and they actually have stock now. Demand seems to be tapering off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#41]

The only thing CA takes kindly to is homeless so that's not saying much.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The only thing CA takes kindly to is homeless so that's not saying much.
View Quote

You forgot Dingbats..
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought one just over a year ago and it was bad then.

From what I am hearing on a couple facebook groups that I follow things are getting better but shopping around can make a big difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top