Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2019 12:30:45 PM EDT
I haven’t had to buy a box of blades since May of 2014 and I’m down to my last 5 ct box. Was going to pick another box of Astra from amazon but all of a sudden the reviews are pretty shoddy. Anybody get any in the last little bit and were they ok? If not what you you recommend that is comparable? I’m afraid feathers would be a bit aggressive and sharp.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I haven’t had to buy a box of blades since May of 2014 and I’m down to my last 5 ct box. Was going to pick another box of Astra from amazon but all of a sudden the reviews are pretty shoddy. Anybody get any in the last little bit and were they ok? If not what you you recommend that is comparable? I’m afraid feathers would be a bit aggressive and sharp.
View Quote
I wasn't impressed with the last box of Astra blades I bought.

I actually made the switch to Harry's, and have been pretty pleased with them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a few boxes about 6 months ago and they worked well.

They were plenty sharp and gave me a great shave.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I was liking the Astra greens, but it seemed like some of them didn't work as good. And then I found out they were owned by Gillette...
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Them swapping hands is what has me hesitant. I’ve gone through two boxes and they have served me well but I’m seeing a lot of complaints about the downward quality spiral and I’d really not like to throw money away.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wasn't impressed with the last box of Astra blades I bought.

I actually made the switch to Harry's, and have been pretty pleased with them.
View Quote
I got into Harry's about five years ago, then 2019 happened.
Gillette went all 'masculinity is toxic', and Harry's said 'oh yeah, we're way more SJW than Gillette could ever hope to be'.
So now Gillette is doing tranny commercials.

I'm out of Harry's blades, have about a year's supply of Fusion, will try a double edge when those run out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d be just fine if companies would just stop with the SJW bs and just sell stuff that we want /need. I don’t need feel good tingly commercials, just stuff.

I went to DE around 8-9 years ago and haven’t regretted it, especially since I’ve only spend about $20 in blades.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought Astra SP’s within the last six months or so and they are great.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Got some in maybe two months ago.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I got more as part of a sample pack, and once again, they are absolutely incredible.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Feathers. Yes I know...sharp and scary.
I've been through so many, mostly out of curiosity. I don't bother to try anymore if I come across something I haven't already tried.

They're that good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been through so many, mostly out of curiosity. I don't bother to try anymore if I come across something I haven't already tried.

They're that good.
View Quote
I've got more Astra Greens coming in the mail.

Oh, you want to know what's not sharp? Bic.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They're that good.
View Quote
I bought a safety razor starter pack that came with a sample pack of blades. It came with a 10 pack of Feathers. The Astras irritated my neck, so I tried the Personas since they are supposed to be a lot sharper. They shaved great, but there was a little too much red in the shaving cream on my razor, so I think I'll hold of on the Feathers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
The current Astra SP is not of the same quality as the ones from 5 years ago. Something changed around the same time the logo changed on the blades themselves. They're not as smooth, and don't appear to last as long as they used to.

If you're comparing them to ones you bought a year ago, they're pretty much the same, imo. Compare them to the older ones, and the difference is obvious.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm currently trying the Derby blades. So far, no complaints, although they don't seem to last as long. But, still solid.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Merkur
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm currently trying the Derby blades. So far, no complaints, although they don't seem to last as long. But, still solid.
View Quote
I bought a sleeve of Derby years ago. Still got a bunch.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a box of Astra Derby Green Blades and they are pretty fricken sharp. They are single edge for a straight razor but still the same blade I suspect. For double blades that I use in my Superspeed I have Feather non-coated and they are really nice. I cannot compare them to the coated ones but some say they are superior and they last longer.

edit: I thought I used Astra but they are Derby
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top