Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2020 11:41:37 PM EDT
I've got a 2006 VN1600A with a leaky fuel tank. New ones are unobtanium, About all I'm seeing for boneyard replacements are tanks for the D model (Nomad).

The few references ive been able to find are split on whether a D tank will work for my application.  Maybe someone has access to a more reliable reference or can tell me what differences there are, if any.

Help?!?!?!
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN1600-Nomad-VN-1600-Gas-Tank-Fuel-Tank/254390299891?epid=0&hash=item3b3ad7ecf3:g:60gAAOSwqqRdpl1C

I don't know about fit, but there's an example of eBay pricing.

edit:  Perusing the Vulcan forums one thread result said "Any 2005-2008 Nomad 1600 tank will fit" in response to a question on what tanks will fit a 2005 Nomad..
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, any Nomad (D model) tank will fit a Nomad. I have a Classic (A model).

I don't see why a D tank wouldn't swap over to mine. But more of the references I've found (few and sketchy) say it won't than say it will. That's why I was looking for advice on here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Where is the leak and how bad is it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Had some pinholes, but got those stopped up with JN Weld. I still have a slow leak. It's dripping from the RR corner or the tank, and running down the side cover and drive shaft sufficient to leave an ugly residue deposit. I'll add a photo in just a bit. Current leak location seems to be rear of tank, where the bracket is welded to the sheet metal.

if I can't sort this out, I have no issues riding as is for a while. It's been leaking for quite some while, and I haven't gone up in flames yet.

edit to add photo

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if I would try to seal the tank with a coating  since it sounds like you have quite a few pinholes from rust especially under the rear mount.  You would have to stop all the rust completely before using any kind of sealer. Good luck and I hope you find a replacement.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. I'll get it sorted. Just a matter of time and money.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You could try to seal it, most tank sealant kits are between $40 and $60. Products like Kreem and Por15 are made to seal motorcycle tanks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Tank sealant is shit.
It works for a couple of years, then it starts to deteriorate.
After it starts to deteriorate the shit gets into the carbs and it leaves sealant in the jets and passages of the carbs.
Then it clogs up and turns into hard deposits that can't be removed.

Buy a new tank, spend the money and have someone cut it open and fix the corrosion or throw the bike away and buy a newer model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top