BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/20/2022 6:37:25 PM EDT
It never fails.

Teach high school seniors.

Many students didn’t show up or just did not do much work.

They failed.

I gave one last assignment to pas students who failed my class.

Class is required to graduate. Gov/Econ.

The essay was assigned on Monday, due today at 3pm sharp.

I’m getting excuses from students who turned in the “Hail Mary” assignment late and they’re almost done.

Many did not show for the final exam, nor showed up for the job interview.

I’m sick of the BS excuses.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah let those lazy shitbags learn about consequences.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Standards are there.  Stick to them. Consistently.   Otherwise, they are your standards.  Their own fault, not yours.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I graduated with under a 1.0 gpa. I had already joined the army and had gotten into good shape. Senior year was a blur. They probably don’t care. I didn’t. Good times.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The World Needs Ditch Diggers…

That said I would give some of them a chance *if* you think they can.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a HS slacker. Don't matter how many breaks you give them, how much extra time ect. Wont make a bit difference they ain't doing it anyway.
Hopefully in a year or two they will wise up and get their shit together. Some do and some never will.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if they don't pass/graduate, it's not the end of the world.  They can get a GED, or come back next year.  
They're ~18.  They need to be assigned the task of figuring their life out.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. Nobody retainsuch after elementary school anyways.  High school is just training to show up and be an employee and do as you're told for a boss. Id give them every chance possible to at least graduate from the scam .
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
How many are we talking about?  What percentage of the class?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I would give them a midnight deadline/grace period for tomorrow.  See who stays home to get it done on a Saturday.

I understand the frustration, but that's literally taking a year of someone's life away if you fail them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I was a high school slacker. Let them go to summer school and get their diploma in the principal's office .
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a fuck up in HS.  

The only thing that motivated me to get off my ass was that I had been working shit jobs since I was 10 years old and by the time I was a JR in HS, I became aware that some folks had better paying jobs, lived in bigger houses, and drove nicer cars.  The dentist who lived down by the beach in a mansion and drove a great car was my role model.  I just copied him.  

Fortunately, I could do school if I wanted to.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Op doesn't pay enough.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a Hail Mary assignment my senior year.  Write a short sci-fi story, get an A, and I would graduate.  I stole a story from an 8th grader that I found online.  It was the dumbest story ever.  The teacher pulled me aside and told me how he knew I had it in me all along and he gave me an A+.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would give them a midnight deadline/grace period for tomorrow.  See who stays home to get it done on a Saturday.

I understand the frustration, but that's literally taking a year of someone's life away if you fail them.
View Quote
  They did it to themselves. A HS diploma shouldn't be a participation trophy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
There's no way you're a teacher with sentence structure like that. You can't even spell pass properly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#20]
No!

They’ve had an entire year to to do the work; they didn’t. Despite giving them a second chance they elected not to take advantage of the opportunity you afforded them. How many strikes do they need before they fail?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#21]
When I taught college, I would meet anyone halfway.

The people who didn't show some effort got what they earned.

No one slacks all semester and then pulls it out in the last week.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
No. Vast majority on this site are past the age of high school. They went through school along with the school bullshit. If kids do not figure out how to put in the work and take their deserving lumps, when necessary, they will be useless in the big bad world.

If they don't like it they can cowboy the fuck up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Slacker checking in...don't move the goal posts.

If they fail, they fail.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was a HS slacker. Don't matter how many breaks you give them, how much extra time ect. Wont make a bit difference they ain't doing it anyway.
Hopefully in a year or two they will wise up and get their shit together. Some do and some never will.
View Quote

All of this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not disagree.  But if I got quality work a day late, I would give a pass.

ETA:  I'm not talking about the ones who blew off finals and everything.  Just the paper.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Everyone deserves one "hand up". Not a "hand out"

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Even if they don't pass/graduate, it's not the end of the world.  They can get a GED, or come back next year.  
They're ~18.  They need to be assigned the task of figuring their life out.  
View Quote

…one is 19.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Pre covid, I might say fail them to prepare them for real life.

Now, everyone “works” from home and does nothing, accountable for nothing.

To prepare them for the real world these days you should pass them all regardless of whether they did it, promote the worst student to teacher, and plant seeds that the best performer bullied or exploited everyone else to get there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I was a slacker in HS, in my Senior Year mostly. Im Not proud of it.

I passed by the grave and mercy of some great teachers that decided to give me a second chance on a few classes at the last minute.  They each gave me a stone faced lecture about it.  So I graduated, and those short lectures stuck with me.

I grew up a lot and five years later went to college.  I graduated college with a 4.0.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I slacked off senior year, but that was because most of the classes didn't mean anything to me. We moved, and I had enough credits when I transferred in to graduate a year early, except for a required 4th unit of English and a semester of American Government. New state had different required classes. I didn't want to go to summer school to graduate early, and my parents made me a take a full schedule because they didn't want me doing a single class a day and goofing off or hanging around the house, so those classes, except for the required units, didn't mean much to me.

As a result, I slacked off, which didn't do my GPA any favors and cost me a National Merit Scholarship, but I was fine with just going to the local state university, anyway. Mostly kept to myself, snuck off to the library to read or computer labs to "program" (mostly played games). It meant I got to take a lot more computer classes, which were interesting to me, and I still passed even the boring classes without putting much effort in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
You gave them a chance for what amounts to extra credit, and they're late on the last chance?

Fuckem.

ETA-And I say this as someone who had a class I hated freshman year, every time I had homework I didn't want to do I left my homework in the urinal.

I got to take that class again as a sophomore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most didn't do 1 assignment.

Did I or did they take their own year away?

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I dropped out my Junior year.  Fuck that noise.  I make more than a HS principal
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was a high school slacker. Let them go to summer school and get their diploma in the principal's office .
View Quote

Guess who’s teaching summer school Gov/Econ?

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#36]
You could have said I was a slacker my senior year.  I skipped school a lot and called my boss and made up some bullshit like teacher's institute and asked to come to work.  He always let me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#37]
You gave them their chance, with clear expectations spelled out in advance.  Rules are rules.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I was a huge slacker in school, the only thing I had any interest in was machine shop and drafting.

It wasn't until my shop teacher splained to me. I needed math and english to be worth a fuck as a machinist, that I settled into it. Graduated with honors.

Still not very smart but getting by.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Most didn't do 1 assignment.

Did I or did they take their own year away?

View Quote
Yeah, fuck those guys/girls.

I meant the ones who had there pass/fail just weighing on the paper.

I may be misunderstanding your OP too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There's no way you're a teacher with sentence structure like that. You can't even spell pass properly.
View Quote

Yes, this thread is all a lie….

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#41]
The class is .gov / econ...

Anyone else think that's hilarious?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck em.

I had to stay into summer my senior year and finish all the assignments I had missed through the year to pass.

As an adult now, if I don't get my work done, I don't get paid for it. They might as well learn now.

That said, I didn't care much for high school, but I did enjoy working actual jobs at that time, school just wasn't where I wanted to be, and my current career can be entered without any high school (but it helps if you are reasonably intelligent).
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bring the trades back to HS's.

Not everyone learns from a book.

I struggled in HS. Once I barely got through, I thrived in the trades.

These days I would make many of my former teachers very proud, or jealous.

Bring the fucking trades back, NOW!
View Quote
This. I would have dropped out if it weren't for going to vocational school.
I'm not unintelligent, I just hated high school. I didn't do well because I didn't want to learn about ancient Egypt anymore.
Auto tech opened me up to learning about machines and mechanical things.
Bring back tech schools, STOP CALLING THEM LOSER SCHOOLS, and maybe we could stop importing fucking foreigners to do jobs we should be doing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bring the trades back to HS’s.

View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#46]
High school and adult secondary ed teacher here. Turn in all the work you are missing and, if it doesn’t completely suck, I’ll pass you. If it is total shit or you don’t even bother, then I’ll see you at night school come August.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#47]
As a former slacker, don’t immediately judge too harshly.

Consider asking if a lot of shit went down recently in their lives, they may be salvageable.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not unintelligent, I just hated high school. I didn't do well because I didn't want to learn about ancient Egypt anymore.
Bring back tech schools, STOP CALLING THEM LOSER SCHOOLS, and maybe we could stop importing fucking foreigners to do jobs we should be doing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bring the trades back to HS's.

I went to a vocational school half days my junior and senior year.

The guidance counselor called me in 3 times to try to talk me out of it.

She actually said "you are too smart for those programs". It was peak telling millennials that they needed to go to college or they wouldn't amount to shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#49]
There shouldn't be publicly paid gate keepers in the first place. Abolish public schools.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The World Needs Ditch Diggers…

That said I would give some of them a chance *if* you think they can.
View Quote

Companies hiring "ditch diggers" are going to require a work ethic.  

Making excuse for not getting the work done will get you fired.

So yes, the world needs underground construction, but these kids ain't it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top