Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Years ago I worked at a place that had lock boxes over the Tstats. Heat was 65, AC was 80.

HVAC unit was not locked.

$15 Tstat later and life was good
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He punished Americans instead of Opec. Should have made them an offer they couldn't refuse. There were also ships stacked up off the ports full of oil so that was wierd.
View Quote

For decades it was the cry of energy independence. Once we achieved it, the cry became something else. Rinse & repeat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You could jimmy a pair of scissors in the vent slots of those thermostat lock boxes to tweak the temp.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
This 1979 sign is still posted at University of Connecticut.  Emergency temperature restrictions my a$$

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Since Nov. 1963

LBJ
Carter
Clinton
Obama
Biden

Enough said ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was over Facilities Engineering at a large DOD R&D facility during the great energy crisis of 1979.

President Carter dictated that thermostats in all public buildings  be set at no higher than 65 degrees in the winter and no lower than 78 degrees in the summer. And potable hot water heaters were to be set no hotter than 105 degrees.

Link to archived news article

It created chaos and lots of complaints. We had to put lock boxes on every thermostat, and I had a key.

One lady made me a particularly "interesting" offer if I would lower her office's thermostat one summer.

What she said was, "I just want to know who in the h__l I have to f__k in order to get the thermostat turned down."

I said, "Well, I have a key . . . "

I tweaked her thermostat down a little, but I didn't take her up on her offer. In hind-sight, I probably should have.
View Quote

What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, how could I forgot that asshole.  I was in high school, and I can still remember his "fireside chat" wearing his sweater and preaching about turning down the thermostats.  They did that at school and we had to wear our jackets in some classrooms and I can still remember how cold my hands were.  Fuck him for so many reasons and this is just one of them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Never trust a guy with teeth like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And potable hot water heaters were to be set no hotter than 105 degrees.
View Quote

Legionnaires Disease
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I remember the resulting lockboxes on thermostats that resulted in that assfuck's policies.  In high school, then college, then at work.  Took years for those boxes to disappear.
View Quote

Not that long ago I worked at a vocational school that had lockboxes on the thermostats. Over time the ones in the tech classrooms all got ripped off the wall and then placed back on so they looked like they were still hard mounted. None of the management ever checked.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Legionnaires Disease
View Quote

Most people get sick from leaks into the HVAC system on systems that use water.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It'll be back but only because it's for your own good comrade.
View Quote

Fpni

For the environment
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yikes, 78 degrees is hot in the summer. In a humid climate, it's even nastier.

I agree, one of the wetter democrat dreams is the power to control everyone's thermostats nationwide from an office in DC. They would cream their shorts over the ability to force everyone to endure 80 during the day and 88 at night. Of course, their thermostats would be set to far more comfortable temperatures. Because some animals are more equal than others.
View Quote

Yep, but the commie mind is severely damaged. Last week there was a fire in the Bronx that killed 17 people.
A space heater started it, gentlemen who's apartment the fire started in had MANY space heaters running because the required 68deg was too cold for him. There is talk by city  councilman to raise the minimum temp to keep these people warm. Ridiculous
What happened to saving the environment ? Fucking Commies!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Carter had psychos working at the DOE. Reagan fired tons of them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
78 is exactly where I like it year around.  I am always cold AF.  I have a space heater in my office that runs constantly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
On most DOD installations users can't adjust anything now.  One central controller does it all.  The thermostats on the wall in my office are a temp sensor and have a slider on the side labeled warm/cool.  They actually do nothing at all.
View Quote

They actually do something; but it only allows you to adjust an offset from the remotely controlled set point. All you have to do is trick the thermistor into thinking it is hotter than it actually is. Place a PC or some other heat producing device under the thermostat.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Carter administration was also working to reduce natural gas use and encourage the use of coal.

My father traveled to Washington trying to permit a project at one of the worlds largest polymer plants to reduce natural gas use by firing cracking furnaces with waste gas that was being flared instead of natural gas.

The EPA wouldn't allow a new project that burned gas, so the waste gas was burned in the flare and the furnaces continued to burn natural gas as they had all along

Dad was disgusted that the Carter EPA had virtually no competent employees.  The group the plan was presented to didn't know what a BTU was.   When he eventually ran across someone at the EPA who was almost marginally competent, all that guy wanted to talk about was how he could get a job with an oil company and leave the EPA.
View Quote

This begs the question, who was being paid?  It was probably his Grand Cyclops KKK buddy from West Virginia in the Senate.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He punished Americans instead of Opec. Should have made them an offer they couldn't refuse. There were also ships stacked up off the ports full of oil so that was wierd.
View Quote

His brother Billy was running around with the Opec Sheiks at the time…
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
78 is exactly where I like it year around.  I am always cold AF.  I have a space heater in my office that runs constantly.
View Quote

@foxxnhound

For your own sake I hope you buy some wool thermals and socks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't recall all that but do remember the wage concessions in place because of him at my first major job in 1979.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#21]
That and 55 mph highway speed limits and speedometers on new vehicles topped out at 80 mph.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
AND...don't forget the national 55 MPH speed limit!

That did huge economic damage.  Big rigs had to be retrofitted with bigger engines that used more gas since they lost the momentum to maintain speed up hills.  Typical unintended consequences of Liberal mandates!

On the otherhand, it was a real revenue raiser in the form of speeding tickets.

View Quote

Liberals never think things through. Feels.
And Carter is a POS. But FBO and Brandon are worse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Governments answer to everything is make the people suffer, it's for their own good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Keep in mind that programmable thermostats weren't ubiquitous yet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Put a light directly on the thermostat in the summer for ac
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#26]
My wife had a little electric heater under her desk and had to wear lightweight gloves to type.  That was the year she became a conservative.  

Fun fact- her office building burned down due to the crazy mandate.  There was a print shop in the building (a small 8 person office) and the crew came in and adjuster all the thermostats, including the baseboard heaters in the print shop.  The printer kept those off due to dust and scraps of paper.  At 3 am one of the baseboards caught fire and away went the whole building.  Just one of those unexpected costs of saving energy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That sweater wearing peanut farmer was never happier than the day Obama was elected. Now he’s even happier that Pedo Joe is in office.
View Quote

For different reasons.  Lol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#28]
"We have to tighten our belt."
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#29]
The 55mph speed limit wasn't Carter, it was Nixon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Public in this case means owned by the federal government.  Most such buildings are under the control of the executive branch, and as head of the executive branch the president can in fact make such rules for those buildings.  Stupid, but not unconstitutional.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Public in this case means owned by the federal government.  Most such buildings are under the control of the executive branch, and as head of the executive branch the president can in fact make such rules for those buildings.  Stupid, but not unconstitutional.

Wrong! From my link in the OP:

The Energy Department said that the temperature restrictions would apply to about five million buildings, which use for heating and cooling about one-quarter of all the energy consumed in the United States.

Included will be offices, retail stores, factories, restaurants, theaters, markets, churches and warehouses.

But rooms containing machinery — computers, for instance — that by manufacturers warranty must be kept at specified temperatures, are exempt. The same is true of rooms housing plants or animals that require given temperatures.

Excluded from the ruling are homes, hotel and motel rooms, elementary schools (but no other schools), hospitals and doctors offices, nursery schools and day-care centers, and other facilities related to health care.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pro tip, the thermostat measures the temperature where it is, not the temperature in the whole room or office... So, if you find a way to warn the thermostat up, you can keep the rest of the office nice and cool... just sayin.
View Quote

Yeah. We had some engineers and scientists (remember that they were doing research in labs scattered all over a giant facility) bleed liquid nitrogen into the thermostat guard to bring on the heat.

Folks can be pretty innovative when something affects them personally.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah. We had some engineers and scientists (remember that they were doing research in labs scattered all over a giant facility) bleed liquid nitrogen into the thermostat guard to bring on the heat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pro tip, the thermostat measures the temperature where it is, not the temperature in the whole room or office... So, if you find a way to warn the thermostat up, you can keep the rest of the office nice and cool... just sayin.

in you want the AC to run longer you just put cheap ass heated blanker over the thermostat cover.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Also, if we are so concerned with pollution and shit, why isn't there another 55mph max in the intrastate again?
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I got a speeding ticket on the interstate right after the speed limit on the interstate in rural areas changed from 55 to 65. It was not posted yet, judge threw it out in the state of LA saying it wasn't worth enforcing. Have a good day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I work with a bunch of women who wear no socks and open toes when it’s cold, and they constantly complain that it is cold…so 68 F would be nice instead of sweating all day because they do not dress appropriately.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On most DOD installations users can't adjust anything now.  One central controller does it all.  The thermostats on the wall in my office are a temp sensor and have a slider on the side labeled warm/cool.  They actually do nothing at all.
View Quote

I’m municipal.gov and the one in my office is the same way
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:06:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ya'll can't plug in one of those AC units on wheels?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
you need another minute to think that through?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Hell yes I remember. Fuck Jimmy Carter.

The only good thing he did was legalize homebrewing again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works just fine. Point the cold air towards yourself and the hot exhaust at someone you don’t like.

Warning…. This does not work if the other person doesn’t want the heat and is bigger or more important than you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It works just fine. Point the cold air towards yourself and the hot exhaust at someone you don’t like.

Warning…. This does not work if the other person doesn’t want the heat and is bigger or more important than you.
View Quote
Touché
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top