Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2018 5:31:17 PM EDT
My son has been wanting a turtle.  But I don't want to do the whole fish tank and water thing. Tortoise's are awesome and I can handle the care of one that doesn't get too huge.

Anyone have one?
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Take him to a zoo
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Eastern box turtles- terrestrial, pretty cool. I don’t know if they’re still threatened, legal to keep as pets. They can be kept outside in mild climates. Friends of mine had them when I was young.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Son has Eastern Box Turtle, it's almost a dog, likes it's head rubbed, likes to be held.  He keeps it in 20 gallon fish tank, and an hour out side every day.  It even eats out of his hand.  Simple to keep, skin color tells you how it's feeling and get veggies and crickets for food.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Just make sure with ANY turtle/tortoise species you go with that you get the proper lighting for it.  Without the proper UVB lighting you are setting yourself up for failure.

And be prepared for a long, LONG lifespan.  A true tortoise should outlive you depending the species.  A Sulcatta Tortoise will get huge, stick to the smaller sizes like a Redfoot or Leopard.  I've always wanted a Leopard Tortoise.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed, get a turtle. Do LOTS of research. A tortoise is a VERY long committment.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed, get a turtle. Do LOTS of research. A tortoise is a VERY long committment.
View Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_(tortoise)
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just make sure with ANY turtle/tortoise species you go with that you get the proper lighting for it.  Without the proper UVB lighting you are setting yourself up for failure.

And be prepared for a long, LONG lifespan.  A true tortoise should outlive you depending the species.  A Sulcatta Tortoise will get huge, stick to the smaller sizes like a Redfoot or Leopard.  I've always wanted a Leopard Tortoise.
View Quote
Yeah, most people have no idea!

Here's my wife holding a 50 pounder, not even half grown up!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, most people have no idea!

Here's my wife holding a 50 pounder, not even half grown up!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19372/T2_jpg-710464.JPG
View Quote
Nice Tort  
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Redfoots and especially Leopards get pretty big, not Sulcata destroyer of suburban backyards big, but too big for the average household.  My largest Leopard, when I had her, was just over 16 inches.  I brought her inside for the few cold months here and it was not an enjoyable experience for her or I.  Most folks should probably go with a captive bred Russian or Hermann's tortoise.  They're relatively affordable, cold hardy and reach manageable sizes.

Here's a pic of one of my baby Leopards. And yes she pooped on the food tray while I was feeding her.

OP, Turtles and Tortoises are big commitments.  If you're son is looking to get into reptiles, I'd steer him towards snakes, such as a ball python, kingsnake or cornsnake.  They are much easier to maintain than a turtle or tortoise.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Had 2 and they died. Don't know why
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had 2 and they died. Don't know why
View Quote
What species?  How were they set up?  Captive bred?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, Turtles and Tortoises are big commitments.  If you're son is looking to get into reptiles, I'd steer him towards snakes, such as a ball python, kingsnake or cornsnake.  They are much easier to maintain than a turtle or tortoise.
View Quote
Or a gecko.  Leopard geckos and AFT's are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or a gecko.  Leopard geckos and AFT's are pretty cool.
View Quote
I bred some of them many years ago. Liked them alot, except for the crickets..

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bred some of them many years ago. Liked them alot, except for the crickets..

https://i.postimg.cc/NMSWS60Y/Stolen2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cCcBwW2j/DSCN4398.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/y60Q74Q0/DSCN3122.jpg
View Quote
I hate feeder insects as well.  I spent most of the high school years working in a reptile and exotic pet store, I'd pay someone money so that I never had to touch a cricket again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a water turtle named Tommy. Got em when I was 14 from my parents when I fixed their old school TV set. I'm 38 now and the sucker is still ticking like new. Very low maintenance but can't stand it when he sheds and water stinks until I change it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hate feeder insects as well.  I spent most of the high school years working in a reptile and exotic pet store, I'd pay someone money so that I never had to touch a cricket again.
View Quote
Crickets are nasty.  I order dubia roaches online and have them shipped USPS.  They are quiet, don't stink, and can't jump/escape.  100 mediums lasts about two months for my two adult females.  They're also a much healthier feeder than crickets because they have 1/3 the chitin and a lot more protein per bug.  You can also let them run loose in the enclosure and they won't nibble on gecko toes like crickets will.

If you do get geckos again avoid the loose substrate because they eat it and get impacted, and then you either have a dead gecko or a vet bill.  Spaghnum moss in the humid hide works very well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Crickets are nasty.  I order dubia roaches online and have them shipped USPS.  They are quiet, don't stink, and can't jump/escape.  100 mediums lasts about two months for my two adult females.  They're also a much healthier feeder than crickets because they have 1/3 the chitin and a lot more protein per bug.  You can also let them run loose in the enclosure and they won't nibble on gecko toes like crickets will.

If you do get geckos again avoid the loose substrate because they eat it and get impacted, and then you either have a dead gecko or a vet bill.  Spaghnum moss in the humid hide works very well.
View Quote
I fed my Bearded dubia for awhile.  Definitely better than crickets but I'm allergic to their molted shells and it drives me nuts.  Same thing will super worms and their shells, the whites of my eyes burn and turn red and my nose runs constantly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I am shocked at how much leopard geckos cost now in pet stores. When I got them they were maybe $10. my local store wants $50-$60. that is nuts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am shocked at how much leopard geckos cost now in pet stores. When I got them they were maybe $10. my local store wants $50-$60. that is nuts.
View Quote
That's retail.  Join a Facebook group for Ohio reptile sales and you can find them breeder-direct for a lot less, especially if they are pet quality (no lineage or very common morph).

If you're near Cleveland there's also the Herps Alive reptile rescue in Euclid, they get leopard geckos periodically.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:56:12 AM EDT
[#21]
You want to see how much of a pain Tortoises can be?

My story
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You want to see how much of a pain Tortoises can be?

My story
View Quote
Sulcatas and a handful of other tortoise species burrow.  A larger number do not burrow and instead do small scrapes at the base of plants or hide under existing landscape features.

I've seen firsthand the burrow a 200lb plus male Sulcata can make and it is impressive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've got an Eastern Mud turtle that my son gave me 20 years ago. The damn thing is gonna outlive me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I saw one on the vet show for exotic animals last night. It had been run over by a car and they made a 3D printed cover for it's shell's extensive damage. The vet was talking about what good pets they are.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]
My moms african spurred has never been much of a digger. He's also been more of a bum. I've never known them to be biters though. If they get scared or feel threatened they WILL pee on you though. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Wife had a Russian tortoise, escape artist! Was found crossing a highway, kept for three or four years, it's back in the wilds after about 4'th escape.

Very nice, smaller animal, did not dig much.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had good luck with Russian Tortoises. They don't get big and are easy care. 100% vegetable diet. Maybe 6" when grown-

ETA: These are not turtles therefore cannot swim.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#28]
From an old thread I started.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My son has been wanting a turtle.  But I don't want to do the whole fish tank and water thing. Tortoise's are awesome and I can handle the care of one that doesn't get too huge.

Anyone have one?
View Quote
I wanted a boxie. Came home and found out my son had gotten me an Eastern Mud turtle (semi aquatic). I've had her now for 20 years and the damn thing has probably got another 10 years to go.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top