Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2021 10:45:20 AM EDT
Anybody notice this or is it just happening to me? Over the last 2 months, I have had milk go bad twice. One was almost 10 days before the expiration date and the jug hadnt even been opened. Another one went bad almost a week before the go bad date. Also 2 bags of flour had moths in them.. One bag I had for 3 or 4 weeks.. I guess I could see that happening.. However I tossed that went immediately to the store and got another bag. Came home, opened it up... Moths in it...
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Walmart?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes meat &fruit
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Free protein,
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Meat and milk is terrible for me. Anything cyrovac'd is a risk I wont take
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep milk and fruit I have noticed
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the world of organic produce!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I drink a gallon of milk a week, so no time to go bad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually the opposite.

When I was a kid 50 years ago milk would last maybe 4 or 5 days now it seems to go at least 10 .
Bread would get moldy in a week. Now it's been a long time since I've seen moldy bread, even after 2 weeks . Cheese is the same way.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#9]
yes, with fruit.

Noticed moldy strawberries at the grocery store and pointed it out to an employee.

They weren't surprised and said they're seeing this a lot more, stuff is spending so much extra time in transit that its going bad by the time it gets to the store.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I was in the wholesale grocery business for over 35 years. The last 15 years I was in perishables., meat, deli, produce, frozen food.  Great pains are taken at wholesale to insure temperature security and maintenance until the product arrives at the retail outlet.  Where the problem resides is at store level.  Product gets taken off the truck and left in the back room where refrigerated products temp out. Produce products that require refrigeration are left out in the backroom. Today's stocking of shelves goes on during the day so it is visible to all.  Frozen product left in boxes of the sales floor while a lone employee attempts to stock the entire department.  Same with produce and additionally the snot nosed kids that are replenishing the bins don't know how to rotate product so the newest product is stocked in the front ,and short dated or expired product is in the back.  This is not a problem for just Walmart.  I see it at Kroger stores, Costco, Sam's Club, Albertsons, and virtually every grocery store. I don't think it is going to get better over time.  Check product expiration dates, if there is excessive condensation on a product don't buy it. Complain to the store manager about perishables and produce left out on the floor or outdated or close to outdated.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Onions and potatoes seem to not last as long as I remember they should.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Rotten eggs from Fred Meyer on a few occasions. Their Simple Truth brand, specifically.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I was at Ingle's last weekend, half the produce was already past where I would have tossed it. Can't believe they left it out for sale that long.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Onions and potatoes seem to not last as long as I remember they should.
View Quote

Definitely the potatoes have been a problem.

Tupperware makes a special bin that seems to help them keep a few weeks longer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#15]
More lax protection of the cold chain from supplier to retailer?

Perishables perish faster when they have been kept at the wrong temperature.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Bananas go from green to brown in about 2 days now.

Avocados might make it 4 days.

Have switched to almond milk for most things requiring milk 'cause who the fuck knows if the milk is even good when I buy it at the store now.

Fortunately haven't had any issues with my meats or tomatoes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Organics typically last longer, lol.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Anything that comes through customs has been basically expired by the time it hits the shelf for me. I make sure to check origin now and try and stay local as possible, otherwise it goes bad before its even in the fridge.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#19]
The last few months have been bad. Meat and produce both going bad almost immediately. We've tried switching stores from Aldi, Walmart, Schnucks...all seem to going bad way too quickly.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Labor shortages are leading to stock not being kept conditioned quick enough. Noticed deliveries taking longer to be kept in protected storage.  Produce and dairy seem to be the main effected items.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Organic milk might be a better bet since its UHT pasteurized. So it generally lasts longer due to, or at least it used to be, the slower sales rate. We buy Aldi or Costco cartons of only whole milk when we get milk.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yep milk and fruit I have noticed
View Quote
same
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was at Ingle's last weekend, half the produce was already past where I would have tossed it. Can't believe they left it out for sale that long.
View Quote

I see that a lot now at even the bigger name stores here.   It used to be a little guy thing (IGA) that got second rate produce and handled it in a second rate fashion and not culling or even reducing for quick sale.

This summer ears of corn looked horrible, bins of corn with dried up yellowing husks.  Less and less stuff too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bananas go from green to brown in about 2 days now.

Avocados might make it 4 days.

Have switched to almond milk for most things requiring milk 'cause who the fuck knows if the milk is even good when I buy it at the store now.

Fortunately haven't had any issues with my meats or tomatoes.
View Quote
@gillplate

heres a lpt: tear the bunch of bananas apart when you get them home and lay them out separately, they will ripen more slowly over several days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I shop in a big chain food store (Jewel) in a big city.

I've had produce go bad in as little as a day.

No shortage of fruits and vegetable, but they aren't that fresh anymore.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep. Product QC is waaaay down, in everything. Stuff that would normally be culled is being packaged & sold. I buy those Clorox tabs that you drop in the toilet tank. EVERY DAMN BOX the tabs are crushed. The box is pristine. The problem is their packaging line is out of sync with their heat sealer and its destroying product. Customer service says 'oh well'. Same for pet food, and just about everything else. Hell even Leupold was selling blem scopes, shit they swept off the floor & assembled just to have something to sell. And went to order from Cajungrocer.com the other day and they are wiped the fuck out. Poor coonasses must be starving.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Taters,bread,fruit and others go bad a lot quicker.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Walmart?
View Quote

The milk was from walmart. One bag of flour was too. Other bag of flour came from the dollar store.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This..
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I've only noticed steaks are not lasting as long in the fridge as before.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The milk was from walmart. One bag of flour was too. Other bag of flour came from the dollar store.
View Quote

Old people get milk and walk through the store talking to people they know and then before they leave they replace the now warm milk with cold milk.  My FIL saw that many times at his small town walmart.  He switched to family dollar for his milk to solve that problem.  My parents would always freeze flower and cornmeal for a few weeks before they used it to kill off any bugs and worms.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Fruits and veggies from Whole Foods, organics mostly.
We're lucky if any of them will last a week even in the 'fridge.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Seen it with milk, sometimes spoils fast  and then sometimes it goes way past the expiration date
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Rinse berries in a big bowl of cold water and white vinegar when you get home, then rinse them off and store in jars in the fridge. Will make them last much longer.
The bowl and collander from a salad spinner works great for this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont shop at shit stores. So no.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Old people get milk and walk through the store talking to people they know and then before they leave they replace the now warm milk with cold milk.  My FIL saw that many times at his small town walmart.  He switched to family dollar for his milk to solve that problem.  My parents would always freeze flower and cornmeal for a few weeks before they used it to kill off any bugs and worms.
View Quote

I was going to post the same thing. I have found a random gallon of milk left on a non-refrigerated aisle from time to time and left to go to room temperature. Figure is was some poors that had a hard choice of buying milk or getting mom a pack of smokes and the milk lost out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes! Mostly fruit and veggies but sometimes meat as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Organic milk might be a better bet since its UHT pasteurized. So it generally lasts longer due to, or at least it used to be, the slower sales rate. We buy Aldi or Costco cartons of only whole milk when we get milk.
View Quote

It tastes cooked though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Our milk doesn’t last for shit, and we drink more than ever. Don’t even drink out of the jug either.

I remember drinking milk a week past expiration in the past, now it spoils a week before.

ETA: no problem with meat. Any fresh meat we buy is from a very reputable butcher, but the majority we eat, I shot myself. No issue with tailgate butchered deer, or hung in the garage at 40* or below for a day to two weeks (if temps are lower).

The bit of processed meat we will buy (ready to eat sausages) that are smoked and vacuum packed seem to last plenty when in the fridge.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Check your fridge temp. We had the same problem, and put a thermometer and found temp was about 5° high.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I've only noticed it with fresh fruits like strawberries, and they're not in season locally so I don't expect them to be all that good.  Haven't had any issues with root veggies or dairy products, other than milk being out of stock recently.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Check the temperature in your refrigerator.  It may not be cooling as well as it used to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Aldi milk doesn't last as long.  Seems to start to go bad 2-3 days before the use by date.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I've had that problem with Walmart and Sam's Club milk almost every time I bought it.  It would be bad three days after I took it home, long before the expiration date.  I now buy Kroger or Costco milk, or I will buy the expensive Fairlife milk before either Walmart or Sam's Club.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah. Noticed it after my kids left home.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#46]
We started getting Wal-Mart milk going bad a few days after purchase, even though the exp date was a week out.

We quit buying milk there and now get it at Dollar General. No issues.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Noticing a theme of walmart and dollar store for grocery shopping

Maybe that's the issue?

I typically don't buy in mass quantities. Usually enough food for a week of lunch meal prep then grab fresh stuff for dinners every 2-3 days.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Just threw away a nearly full 1 pound bag of Blue Diamond smoked almonds - Tasted rancid.

And yes, it was purchased from Walmart last week.

The solution to expired milk is to get UHT milk instead - It'll keep for months at room temperature, and probably for decades in the fridge.

Attachment Attached File

It's $1 a quart at Dollar Tree.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#49]
My fridges are set to 34 degrees and all of our food is bought in bulk typically.  At that temp, whole milk can last for about 2 months if unopened.  The only thing that doesn't stay in the fridge more than a week is chicken, to be safe.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:56:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Walmart is like the clearing house for all the lowest quality everything. The last few times I bought dairy\meat there it was truly awful fresh from the store. I refuse to buy anything perishable there. In fact I refuse to buy anything there period after they installed those automatic one way cattle doors and facial recognition cameras on their self checkout lanes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top