Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2023 9:17:40 PM EDT
I’ve long considered myself a traditional watch guy. Even when I was a kid in the 80s and everyone else had digital watches, I had a kids dive watch. Rolex, Seiko, Hamilton, mostly automatics with a couple quartz and a solar and a G Shock for rough use.

I’ve also long been an “Apple Guy” using a Mac since the early 1990s, and being an early adopter of iPod, iPhone and iPad. I never had any interest in the watch because I liked wearing traditional steel watches.

A week ago I won an Apple Watch as a work promotion and haven’t been able to take it off since. My original intention was to use it as sort of a modern tool watch for running and workouts. However, in the span of a wearing it over a couple hours, it had seamlessly integrated its self into my daily life.

It does so many things, so gracefully and intuitively. It’s difficult to imagine not missing it if I went back to wearing a normal watch.

Anyone else dealt with this?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I only wear my apple watch for workouts - biking/hiking, etc.

I still prefer a dive watch for day to day stuff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish Apple would make a wearable. I have an Ultra which is 100x more than I need and also wear it for workouts, hikes, and sleep. No way will I ever dual wield, so please make a wearable. The end.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I always considered myself a watch guy, but the apple watch makes my job so much more efficient all the others sadly stay in the watch drawer
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always considered myself a watch guy, but the apple watch makes my job so much more efficient all the others sadly stay in the watch drawer
View Quote

That’s where I think this is headed.

Being able to swipe and choose between a GMT, world timer, chronograph, and countless others, all with customized complications set for specific tasks is next level.

I’ve got face set up for running with time, distance, heart rate, and ecg, one for work with date, appointment reminders, email, one for shooting with wind, elevation, compass, and level, one for night time with dark colors, sleep, sunrise time and heart rate, one for travel, hiking, astronomy, driving. The options are nearly limitless.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
G Shock almost every day. Citizen for dress. Apple Watch rarely.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear an Apple Watch at work (Drilling Industry). When I’m at home on days off, I wear either my GMT Master on jubilee or white dial Seamaster on rubber depending on occasion or outfit. I hate the damn thing dinging when I’m not at work and don’t care what’s going on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Blasphemy, I refuse to wear such an abomination and I live in the Apple Ecosystem. iPhone, several iPads, three MacBook Pros, Apple TV.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m all in on the apple products. I’ve had an Apple Watch for almost 5 years. I got it for workouts and runs only. First couple weeks I couldn’t take it off. After that it got old to me. I couldn’t stand all the notifications. I know all that can be turned off. But I want the thing on my wrist to tell me two things and two things only, the time and the date. Ever since, the Apple Watch does workouts and runs with me and sits on the charger the rest of the day. Traditional mechanical the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a galaxy watch for a month and found it useless.

Went back to a rolex sub

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#10]
It was cool at first but I got tired of it and went back to my autos.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I wear a galaxy watch every day.

Notifications on my wrist vs digging my phone out is very helpful to me.
Plus I have the vibration cranked so I don't miss stuff anymore.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope.

I got one as a Christmas gift from my mother.

I tried to like it, but honestly it was a pain in the ass.

I hate having to flick my wrist to get it to turn on to see the time, whereas I can discretely glance at my regular watch without any gross movements.

The new ones may be always-on, so that’d solve the main problem.

Still, I’d rather wear my $20 Shanghai Special mechanical than my G-Shock. I can’t go back to quartz…
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I tried an Apple watch for a week and it sucked all the power from my iPhone some way. Had to return it and went back to my GMT Master.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#14]
my wife wears the fitbit version with almost all the notifications turned off. She had a cardiac episode earlier this year so the ECG and Pulse ox/monitoring is worth the peace of mind to me (and her).

I was wearing her old fitbit on my off wrist, but it's losing power and being annoying. I figured out how much I have to do to hit my 10k steps each day and now just do that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two Submariners I have not worn in at least 4-5 years after getting my first Apple Watch.  I guess I should sell them, but between the two, I have over 60 years of ownership, so that makes it hard to part.  Stainless since 1978, 18k since 2005.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Use to be  Watch Guy buff....They now sit in my safe.

Watch now on my wrist everyday is a Apple Watch.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
No. But an Apple watch saved a friend's life.

It detected an abnormal heart beat and he got it checked out.  Required surgery to correct.

They have their place.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have two Submariners I have not worn in at least 4-5 years after getting my first Apple Watch.  I guess I should sell them, but between the two, I have over 60 years of ownership, so that makes it hard to part.  Stainless since 1978, 18k since 2005.
View Quote

I sold my late 60s 5512 and early 70s 1675 a couple of years ago now; had owned them since '91 when my jeweler retired.  

Really, I don't miss them. They were in pristine condition with all of the paperwork and the box, also in pristine condition.   I'd wear them occasionally, but lived in semi fear of damaging them.

Now they're making someone else happy and I wear a Tudor GMT daily.....and am much happier.

Don't be afraid to sell.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell no.

I wear a real watch daily.

G-shock occasionally when doing manual labor.

I have a sweet I-phone, why would I ever wear an I watch?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#20]
No. I am trying to make my life more analog wherever possible. I even tried switching back to a O.G. flip phone last year, but that would mean more talking and less texting so I made the concession to keep an iPhone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#21]
nah
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not an Apple guy but I am an avid and longtime user of personal electronic devices. Palm Pilot, Blackberry and now...Android!

For decades the Submariner was my EDW. It was a part of me. WearOS 1.0 came out and it was a joke. WearOS 2.0 came out and I got a smartwatch. There was this back and forth period as I learned to use the new smartwatch tool in useful, not gimmicky, ways. And then one day the Sub was gathering dust. WearOS 3.0 is out with faster smartwatches and now the Sub is really in trouble. I had to invest in a watch winder. It really made me sad and conflicted but there's no denying that for some people the smartwatch is incredibly more useful and convenient.

I've seen the thing where people are wearing two watches, one mechanical which is now just jewelry, and one smart. I can't bring myself to do that

Recently, for about the last 6 months, I've been making it a point to wear my mechanical watches (I have two) at least one day a week, and on more formal occasions, of course.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Blasphemy, I refuse to wear such an abomination and I live in the Apple Ecosystem. iPhone, several iPads, three MacBook Pros, Apple TV.
View Quote

Similar feeling here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wish Apple would make a wearable. I have an Ultra which is 100x more than I need and also wear it for workouts, hikes, and sleep. No way will I ever dual wield, so please make a wearable. The end.
View Quote

What does this mean? The apple watch is wearable. There must be more to this terminology than I understand.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm pretty invested in Apple and generally speaking a fan, but depending on what you use it for the Garmin series of watches beat Apple by a decent margin. And Apple still can't figure out how much market they're losing (me included) by not having a proper circular watch instead of rectangular.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm pretty invested in Apple and generally speaking a fan, but depending on what you use it for the Garmin series of watches beat Apple by a decent margin. And Apple still can't figure out how much market they're losing (me included) by not having a proper circular watch instead of rectangular.
View Quote

Comparing a Garmin to an Apple Watch is a bit like comparing Jeep Wrangler and a Lexus LS. They both have four wheels and can get you from A to B, but beyond that they are radically different.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What does this mean? The apple watch is wearable. There must be more to this terminology than I understand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By wearable I mean a device to track fitness, etc. like a FitBit. Some are smaller and look more like a digital bracelet than a watch. Amazon had the Halo view which worked ok, but the strap design was defective and maybe that's why it was discontinued.

I won't wear two watches like Kevin O'Leary.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
By wearable I mean a device to track fitness, etc. like a FitBit. Some are smaller and look more like a digital bracelet than a watch. Amazon had the Halo view which worked ok, but the strap design was defective and maybe that's why it was discontinued.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve seen AP CEO Francois-Henry Bennahmias wearing a Royal Oak and an Apple Watch simultaneously as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#29]
No, I'm detaching from electronics as much as I can.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I just can't.  I an avowed electronic gadget geek but I just cannot warm up to an Apple watch.  To me they are hideous.  They may be the future but I just do not want one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one.   I was all about it at first.  

Got tired of my wrist vibrating and missing my mechanicals.

Hasn’t been charged in months, maybe a year.  I should find it a new home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top