Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2024 2:36:40 PM EDT
So...what do you type on?  Preferred switches?  Preferred Keycaps?  Board brand?  Board size?  Do you prefer a Thocky, clacky, poppy, or silent board?  

Are you looking for something different or have you found your holy grail?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I always thought the guys that go on about their $300+ mechanical keyboards were nuts.  I've changed my tune...they're awesome.

Probably 8 years ago got a Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Browns, mainly because cheap keyboards kept dying on me so I figured I would spend some money and get one that lasts.  I did immediately enjoy the tactile mechanical switch over the membrane boards...and it did last a long time.  Actually, it still works.  I just gave it to my kids as their cheap keyboard died.  Then I went down the rabbit hole that is mechanical keyboards....

Prebuilt...customs....barebones kits...hundreds of switches...all the different types/colors/shape of keycaps...100%, 96%, 90%, 75%, 65%, 60%...Aluminum/plastic/etc chassis...different plate materials...foam...hot swap or solder....mods...it just never ends...

So after realizing that I didn't know what I didn't know...meaning, I've not typed on a lot of keyboards, I didn't want to spend $400+ on a custom built keyboard when I didn't REALLY know what I like yet.  So I bought a Keychron Q6 with the Gateron G Pro brown.  I quickly realized I didn't like the Gateron Browns (too light and almost no tactile bump).  Because this board has a hot swap PCB - I ordered a full set of Gateron Baby Kangaroo and I've been enjoying these switches.  

The Q6 board itself is incredibly heavy.  Easy to take apart, comes with all the tools necessary (although the switch puller is trash).  Makes this board very easy to modify.  A bit on the expensive side, but it seems to be very well built.  Before typing on the Keychron board I thought the Corsair was a very nice typing experience.  Now, when I have to type on that computer, it drives me nuts.  Cherry MX Browns are incredibly scratchy and the Corsair board is horribly clacky.  Sounds terrible.

So at the moment, I'm going to stick with the Q6 board and Baby Kangaroo switches.  I'm looking for Gazzew Boba U4T switches.  I want to try those next.  After that, I might get a different set of keycaps.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
IBM Model M Master Race checking in.

(Actually, I stopped using it years ago because I lost it and only recently uncovered it.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently using an Epomaker TH80 with Gateron Pro Browns.   Lubed it's not that bad of a keyboard.

One day I'll dig out the PS/2  USB adapter and let the 1985 Model M on the shelf ride again!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I don't have any of the vintage keyboards.  My dad used to dabble in computer repair and had a TON of old keyboards in the basement.  I'm sure there were a few nice ones in there.  

They all got junked though...along with the 50 or so console TV's he had down there with plans to repair at one time...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:57:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#5]
My neighbor at work designs his own keyboard. I think he’s down to 20 keys.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
My preference is the old Northgate Ultra keyboard that has the arrow keys arranged in the full 12 key square with the home/end/insert etc keys, not in a separate "t" arrangement. But my adapter from the PS/2 plug to USB died, so I am using a Blackwidow by Razer keyboard currently.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
View Quote

I really don't understand the obsession with the smallest keyboard possible.  

My buddy at work has a 60% Topre board with blank keycaps.  More than one occasion he has spent time trying to find which modifier/button combo to do what he wants to do.  

I might get a TKL board at some point...as I don't really use the TK that much especially when I'm not working.  However, when I do need to enter a bunch of numbers...I'm much faster on the TK than on the horizontal numbers.  So I like having it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Nimbleback fullsize (with 10 key) and Cherry brown switches. Inexpensive and works well. Can hot swap too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:52:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#9]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

My buddy at work has a 60% Topre board with blank keycaps.  More than one occasion he has spent time trying to find which modifier/button combo to do what he wants to do.  

I might get a TKL board at some point...as I don't really use the TK that much especially when I'm not working.  However, when I do need to enter a bunch of numbers...I'm much faster on the TK than on the horizontal numbers.  So I like having it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Dunno, but he’s about 100wpm on it…

Kind of impressive…
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
I have a Nimbleback fullsize (with 10 key) and Cherry brown switches. Inexpensive and works well. Can hot swap too.
View Quote

Damn...there's a $10 coupon on that board right now...$49 for a hot swap full size is pretty good.  

Are you planning on trying any other switches in the future?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Dunno, but he’s about 100wpm on it…

Kind of impressive…
View Quote

Impressive indeed...I just don't understand it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sheltot:
Ducky One 2 with Cherry brown switches. Tempted by the Drop Shift with the Holy Pandas but $200 is steep for a keyboard.
View Quote

I thought so too at first, but spec out a custom board with your own choices of PCB/Plate/chassis/switches/stabilizers/caps/etc.  I had over $500 in my carts for one build before I settled for the $225 keychron I bought.  

This board is so far beyond the quality of my other boards though...it's not even close.  Plus, it being purposefully designed to be taken apart and modded or updated...totally worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:30:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Did the polyfill mod on my board tonight and it definitely made it sound better.  

I was going to do the tape mod while I was in there, but it turns out we're out of painters tape...so I'll have to grab some of that and try again.  

Might try the force break mod as well with the painters tape.  Although, I don't know how much that will help as there is rubber pads between the top and bottom case of my board.  Can't hurt though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:10:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#15]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
IBM Model M Master Race checking in.

(Actually, I stopped using it years ago because I lost it and only recently uncovered it.)
View Quote

You can get new repops of the ibm model m keyboards from a company called unicomp.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/UKBD

As for master race ... apparently the model M is a downgrade of a downgrade in the ibm keyboard line.
ETA: better vid.  Beam spring keys, stupidly super smooth.
IBM BEAM SPRING Sound Test | IBM Displaywriter 6580 aka White Whale
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Damn...there's a $10 coupon on that board right now...$49 for a hot swap full size is pretty good.  

Are you planning on trying any other switches in the future?
View Quote
I think mine came with reds and I switched then to browns
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Razer Black Widow Green switches and love it.  Not so much for my conference calls as it's very loud, but I find I make more errors when typing on a laptop keyboard or one of the membrane types.  My home machine will never not be a mechanical keyboard again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Love mechanical. My dexterity isn't what it used to be, and I absolutely hate mushy keyboards. I have a mix of Corsair, Alienware, and a few others. Typically Cherry red or brown, but I don't mind loud clicky either. I actually have a sample somewhere around here that has one of every type of Cherry MX key. Nice to be able to compare them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m using Filco TKL with Cherry Reds. Had it over 10 years I believe and it’s still going.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Love mechanical. My dexterity isn't what it used to be, and I absolutely hate mushy keyboards. I have a mix of Corsair, Alienware, and a few others. Typically Cherry red or brown, but I don't mind loud clicky either. I actually have a sample somewhere around here that has one of every type of Cherry MX key. Nice to be able to compare them.
View Quote

You should branch out.  I typed on cherry browns for years and felt like they were awesome.  Now that I've typed on a few others....the Cherry browns are really kind of 'meh' lol

They're obviously worlds better than rubber dome keyboards...but there's a whole other world on top of that even.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top