Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2023 4:48:58 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I received my initiation in April 2023 and am currently working towards my proficiency.

Does anyone have any advice or wisdom for me as a new EAM?

Any wisdom or advice on helping with my proficiency?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I do.

Stay off the internet about Secrets and stuff.

Listen to your mentor and anybody else They assign to help you..

Sorry I can't help you with the return it's  each individual's personal journey.. Remember it's not a big race.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Mnemonics are a great help.

If you can remember the first letters of phrases and then make words from those as a reminder.

Like, if the phrase was

“All were distinguished”

Then I would remember AWD to keep that section in mind.

Personally I use a combination of the above and also visualizing the words like they’re on a page in my head for when I get lost.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Start with a sentence at a time, out loud. If you make a mistake, start over. Then add the next sentence to the first. If you make a mistake, start over. Continue for paragraphs, the two, then sections, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:47:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EP429] [#5]
Rules vary from one Jurisdiction to another. Mouth-to-Ear in my locale  -
That said - Broad rules weighed & considered- My advice is to meet as regularly as possible with your mentor, work at a regular & smooth pace, and get to know your new friend.
Afterwards, attend as many degrees as possible & be a good & frequent brother. (Your attendance is as beneficial to you as it is to your new brothers)
Don't be afraid to ask questions & learn new things long after you become a Master Mason.
I'd had some funky work/life scheduling situations working throughout my journey from an EA to a MM, whole situation took less than a year from start to finish but I wish it would've taken twice as long. I miss my learning sessions with my mentor ☹️
I could start over tomorrow & easily learn twice as much with the same teacher.
Please keep us posted, I wandered from a being clueless great-great-great grandson of a Mason with a 100+ year old heirloom onto ARFCOM to become a Master Mason & raised my older brother to the same [Props to Overscoped for helping to poke me along the way]
- I hope to retread those same steps with my son in the near future & continue a long tradition of improvement upon mankind.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PSI:
Start with a sentence at a time, out loud. If you make a mistake, start over. Then add the next sentence to the first. If you make a mistake, start over. Continue for paragraphs, the two, then sections, etc.
View Quote

That's what I recommend too. A great time to do that is while driving to or from work, turn the radio off and talk away....
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 7:51:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: YoungFrankenstien856] [#7]
Recite Ritual till you're blue in the face, if you have a wingman doing degree work , find time to learn the craft together.
We where raised in pairs , so our degree was done together in front of the WM.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Find out where other EA degrees are going on around you and go to as many as you can. This will help you on several levels. It will reinforce what you are learning by seeing it from the other side and it will also cement how much work was put in to get you to where you are now.

Like others have said...practice and go slow. Better to learn ot right and not just learning enough to get you by to the next degree.

The better you learn it the quicker you can participate in degree work of the brothers behind you. Doing so is paying back as well as a great way to stay connected with all the work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top