Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2021 10:42:17 AM EDT
So I have two dogs, one is a male, eight year old Bouviers de Flanders, weighs in at 150 pounds.  The other one is a Soft Coated Wheaten terrier who will be 15 yrs old later this year.

She is approaching the inevitable end and I am researching the Shar-Pei breed as a possible replacement.

Is anyone on this forum an owner or familiar with the Shar-Pei-Pei breed?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Chinese Shar-Pei are not a common breed, but after so many views, no answers?

Common bee hive!

Help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a dog that is a mut but certainly has shar pei in him. However I do side work for a retired medical doctor. He has 3 that are expensive bloodlines. Very cool dogs.
You should read about the history of the breed. Specifically during one of the Chinese revolutions/uprisings. Lots of them were killed off. The breed was basically saved because a person/group smuggled them out. My memory is fuzzy but I recall an interesting story about it.

I’ve worked around those 3 pure bread shar peis on and off for a couple of years now. They are timid and stand-offish but will open up and allow me to pet them after a while. They are never aggressive but will nervous pace around me for a while and sniff me out until they are comfortable. They are always excited and somewhat happy to see us. They are strange dogs. They guy I work for Dr Hopkins that ownes them, once said they are all somewhat “aloof” that was his exact word LOL. They are good dogs. They play really rough. They have a thick ass layer of wrinkle armor all over. I don’t think they are known for a high IQ in the dog world but are not considered dumb or anything like that.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top