Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 12:54:53 PM EDT
Leveling/lifting my truck in the near future.

Of the 4 options I have narrowed it down too is the most $$ option.

Icon 2.5 coilovers. Reading they need rebuilt every 15-40k has me pumping the brakes on ordering them

May just do the bilstein 5100 option and use icon uca’s

Anyone own icon’s?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Not today, Satan - Q
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Any race shock is going to require regular rebuilds and replacement of bearings.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I use not abuse my 14 4Runner.  Had them rebuilt at 28k and they needed them again at 60k. I cant afford it and don't have the time. The rear shocks are shot too.    Offroad likely 5% and pavement at 95%  I slow down for speed bumps and dips.  With this being said, I would not recommend Icon.  The ride is much better on my 4runner but the cost to have them rebuilt and initial price is a no go for me.   Its not exactly an easy task to remove them either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use not abuse my 14 4Runner.  Had them rebuilt at 28k and they needed them again at 60k. I cant afford it and don't have the time. The rear shocks are shot too.    Offroad likely 5% and pavement at 95%  I slow down for speed bumps and dips.  With this being said, I would not recommend Icon.  The ride is much better on my 4runner but the cost to have them rebuilt and initial price is a no go for me.   Its not exactly an easy task to remove them either.
View Quote

Thanks, I’m leaning towards not getting them after researching today.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If they aren’t leaking, they don’t need to be rebuilt. Squirt the shafts with mineral spirits periodically so that the film of hydraulic fluid on the shaft doesn’t get sticky and roll the seal, causing them to leak.

If you beat their ass in the desert, you’ll be rebuilding them more often. If most of your off road adventures involve the curbs in the mall parking lot, they’ll last a long time.

Rebuilding is easy if you have even the slightest amount of mechanical skill.

These statements apply to any serviceable shock brand, not just icon. Rebuilding is replacing a handful of seals and new hydraulic fluid. I can do all for corners in my truck in about 6 hours.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive lifted my last 3 f250 and f350 with ICON  the last was a 2019 and the suspension components are great but the shocks MEH.. and i started with the basic icon and progressed upto the bypass on the last truck
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#7]
When I lifted my Tundra I used Icon UCA's, but that was it. Went with Bilstein 6112's up front and 5160's in the rear. Have about 70k on this setup. Probably need new shocks, but will more than likely sell the truck before I do that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If they aren’t leaking, they don’t need to be rebuilt. Squirt the shafts with mineral spirits periodically so that the film of hydraulic fluid on the shaft doesn’t get sticky and roll the seal, causing them to leak.

If you beat their ass in the desert, you’ll be rebuilding them more often. If most of your off road adventures involve the curbs in the mall parking lot, they’ll last a long time.

Rebuilding is easy if you have even the slightest amount of mechanical skill.

These statements apply to any serviceable shock brand, not just icon. Rebuilding is replacing a handful of seals and new hydraulic fluid. I can do all for corners in my truck in about 6 hours.
View Quote

I don’t know if I would consider refreshing a set of shocks and struts to be this simple, but it is something that can be done by someone at home with some spare time and a willingness to learn.  

OP Any brand of “race” suspension that isn’t meant to be tossed when worn out will need a rebuild in a relatively short amount of time.  That’s just the way they are made.  It was a huge hoopla with the gen 1 raptors and people not realizing that the shocks would need a refresh every 40-60k Mike’s regardless of how the truck was driven.  If this is just a cruising around town truck with some light off-roading infrequently just get Bilsteins and replace them when they get worn.  A set of 5100s seems to average ~600$ for all four corners.  What model truck to you have and what is the intended purpose?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with Bilstein 6112s and 5160s for my F-150. But I did get Icon UCAs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate all the help,

I’m 99% sure I’m going 6112’s paired with icon uca’s and 5100’s rear

Mostly DD duty with trips into the woods (logging roads), for now.

Now, if any of it was in stock I’d order it
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the help,

I’m 99% sure I’m going 6112’s paired with icon uca’s and 5100’s rear

Now, if any of it was in stock I’d order it
View Quote

Welcome to bilstein haha.  I had a set of shocks/struts on back order for nearly a year when I had my sq5. I ended up selling the damn thing before I got them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
icon uca's

View Quote

Which ones? I would recommend you avoid the ones with uniballs and/or heim joints, especially heims. I know they have some with their much hyped ball joint, but I'm not sure what their track record is for longevity, and I have heard replacements are very expensive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Which ones? I would recommend you avoid the ones with uniballs and/or heim joints, especially heims. I know they have some with their much hyped ball joint, but I'm not sure what their track record is for longevity, and I have heard replacements are very expensive.
View Quote

Uses a Delta joint, replacement joints look like $80

I’m still researching lifespan of that part
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why wouldn’t you want Heims? They aren’t expensive and rarely need replacement, plus they don’t squeak like bushings. Lube em once in awhile and drive happy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why wouldn't you want Heims? They aren't expensive and rarely need replacement, plus they don't squeak like bushings. Lube em once in awhile and drive happy.
View Quote
Are we talking about the same thing? Spherical bearing on a threaded rod end. They need constant replacement or they squeak far worse than poly bushings. They also have zero give to transfer every bit of NVH into the chassis. They are fine for dedicated off road rigs, but not something I would ever put on a street driven vehicle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top