Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2024 11:10:27 PM EDT
"To make powder, you need a specific kind of cotton, which mostly comes from China," he said.

Nitrocellulose, also known as guncotton, is a key ingredient in gunpowder manufacture.

"Would you know it, deliveries of this cotton from China stopped as if by chance a few months ago," Breton added.

China and Russia have in recent years ramped up economic cooperation and diplomatic contacts, and their strategic partnership has grown closer since the invasion of Ukraine.

In Russia this week, China's Vice Foreign Minister Sun Weidong declared relations "are at their best period in history".

Breton said that "Nordic countries have found a substitute for the Chinese cotton... innovation is at work, precisely to meet the need for powder, because... we have problems today with powder capacity".

Companies producing the substitute ingredients for powder would be among those selected for grants under the EU's Act In Support of Ammunition Production (ASAP) to be announced next week, Breton said.

https://www.barrons.com/news/europe-battles-powder-shortage-to-supply-shells-for-ukraine-0173c7d0
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to cut all of my ammo in half now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Strategically speaking: We are deeply fucked.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNC:
Who would've guessed outsourcing all our production to a hostile nation could have negative impacts? Shocked, I am.
View Quote

Is it that, or is it that that particular type of cotton can’t be grown much or at all in the US?  I remember years ago seeing something on PBS I think, about how they used to get an ingredient for gunpowder from some specific place, a beach I think, from animal scat.  They wouldn’t have had enough for the first world war if a German chemist hadn’t developed an alternative, which it sounds like some people in the Nordic countries are doing now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:39:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#5]
Well fucking good.

Figure it out America - I seriosuly fucking doubt Teddy Roosevelt was relying on China for our gunpowder.  Unass and make it happen.  

1 plant in Florida reprocessing WWII shit from a former era before we became retards, is fucking embarrassing.  And a strategic nightmare.  How could this happen??  

In 12 months maybe we will figure it out.

Or... maybe we won't.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Who would've guessed outsourcing all our production to a hostile nation could have negative impacts? Shocked, I am.
View Quote

Reminds me of when we sold all our old ships to Japan in the 30s so they could scrap them and make new cruisers, carriers and battleships that we would have to sink.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
View Quote

But heroic businessmen made money! I'd expect GD to be cheering.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
If only the USA had a cotton growing industry.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:21:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mo4040] [#9]
A friend of mine was on a flight recently. He was seated next to a gent who worked for Vista Outdoors.

The gent told my buddy to "stock up on ammo/powder/components/etc" due to the fact that China basically shut us off

from key ingredients used in making gunpowder. He (the gent) did not specifically state nitrocellulose or guncotton. He went on

to add that China was doing this in veiled retaliation for the US support of Ukraine.

On a side note, if China/N. Korea are supporting Russia AND possibly ramping-up for their own possible military action, it makes perfect sense to

restrict that commodity for their own consumption.

This all dovetails into the argument against "global supply chains," especially for strategic materials.

Who knows, maybe down the road, instead of the Gov't asking folks to ration stuff for the war effort, they'll be going door-to-door asking for 5.56 and 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
So….after spending a bit reading about nitrocellulose production, I have seen zero mention of magical cotton strains that produce superior cotton linter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#11]
It's so fucking easy to make. You literally mix cotton with nitric/sulfuric acid mixture.

We make some extremely complex pharmaceuticals, I think we can figure it out. The big question is why don't we make it here? The answer is probably EPA/OSHA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
It's so fucking easy to make. You literally mix cotton with nitric/sulfuric acid mixture.

We make some extremely complex pharmaceuticals, I think we can figure it out. The big question is why don't we make it here? The answer is probably EPA/OSHA.
View Quote

Globalism forced this. CO2 is now missing in action as well, globally. How in the actual, can Carbon Dioxide be so rarely processed now that even animal processing facilities and drink manufacturers are unable to produce goods and are shutting down production? Meat, folks, and beverages. This is affecting the US, Canada, Australia, NZ, others just to name a few countries.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
View Quote

That's racist
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:

That's racist
View Quote
My sisters and I are the first generation of our family that didn't pic cotton.

And we are white.

My Dad used to pic cotton and prime tobacco.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:58:08 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Yeah, no way they'd find a seemingly innocuous way of fucking over their enemy.

No way at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Well fucking good.

Figure it out America - I seriosuly fucking doubt Teddy Roosevelt was relying on China for our gunpowder.  Unass and make it happen.  

1 plant in Florida reprocessing WWII shit from a former era before we became retards, is fucking embarrassing.  And a strategic nightmare.  How could this happen??  

Or... maybe we won't.
View Quote

@lazyengineer
Is that seriously all St Marks does- reprocess old stuff?  FFS….

So much for the “armory of democracy” and all that….
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tac556:

@lazyengineer

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Well fucking good.

Or... maybe we won't.

@lazyengineer

Honestly I think they probably do some new production too - but I do know they chat up the fact they are reprocessing old WWII powders.  I sure as shit hope that's not the totality of what they do, but at times, I kind of wonder...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:29:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#18]
View All Quotes

Who'd have cared, except for consumers. The C-suite players DGAF.

Originally Posted By heavymetal762:
But heroic businessmen made money! I'd expect GD to be cheering.  

Because this place is stupid like that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I know, unfortunately I know where you can get Nitrocellulose from September though December.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fike:
So….after spending a bit reading about nitrocellulose production, I have seen zero mention of magical cotton strains that produce superior cotton linter.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

These greedy companies are whining because China was providing cheap cotton.

I’m sure domestic cotton makes nitrocellulose of equal quality, but just costs a little more.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

It's still grown every year in my rural county.

We can't be the only ones...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Behind every blade of grass….

….is an ammo fort.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#24]
It has NOTIHNG to do with “special cotton”. It is all about NIMBY attitudes and political design.

None of this is an unforeseen consequence, it is all going EXACTLY to plan.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:

You’re not. Great fields of white abound down here. Mostly east of 95.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Who is going to pick it…
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Our government has made this Nation increasingly dependent on china ever since nixon cozied up to them. We all suffer the repercussions of our government "officials" lining their pockets using the tax dollars they take from you. Please, re-elect your "representative." It's all you have.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:48:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#28]
Originally Posted By ZW17:

I’m sure on some level racism is involved. I don’t know what our cotton industry used to produce, but I’m willing to bet it’s nothing compared to what it used to be. Most of our manufacturing is in China, why grow and produce the raw goods here when we don’t even make the clothing anymore?
View Quote

Bingo.  I remember the "Cotton: the fabric of our lives" ads. Even the awful "look for the union label" ads.

If you look at farmed acreage, over the last 50-60 years, it has dropped heavily in almost all lower 48 states, but particularly in the cotton growing states. ETA: overall farmed acreage dropped, so I am confident that cotton growing was heavily reduced or replaced with other crops. Ethanol production, anyone?

Offshoring cotton growing to China was certainly part of the genocide on American apparel manufacturing, which was helped along by the garment workers unions.  I can't imagine the backroom deals made during the Clinton years, with full on fellating of China, which kicked the American clothing industry off a cliff.

Pair all that with the Chinese use of slave labor and advancements in automation (through whatever means) and there is virtually no way to compete with China for the production of clothing, or for the raw materials, including cotton.

The side result of gutting our onshore capability to make gunpowder is a happy side effect for the Leftists who desire America brought to its knees.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#29]
You want nitrocellulose? I can get you nitrocellulose.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:
View Quote

i think you misheard me. i said i want nitroglycerine, not nitrocellulose.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Don't worry, China will still send us our medical drug precursors when we go to war with them over Taiwan.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#32]
It would seem to me that a country that was large and full of farmable land and other abundant natural resources could operate independently from imports while also being in a great position for trade deals. I wish I lived in such a country.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#33]
We have the capability to make it in abundance........we are just stupid and decided to let the Chinese do everything for us
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Victory cotton gardens, a cotton garden in every backyard. As a side note you have to let the state of LA know if you do grow cotton in your backyard. You
need to set out traps for boll weevils.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fike:
View Quote

I can't imagine the length of the fiber has anything to do with nitrocellulose production.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TexanInOhio4:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

I’m sure domestic cotton makes nitrocellulose of equal quality, but just costs a little more.  

View Quote

Greedy shareholders will be the ones bitching the most. Profit above country. Always been that way. Billionaires can afford to move to other countries or several countries if the need arises. The vast majority of the masses can get fucked for all they care.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Seems it got figured out once before.

Never For Want of Powder: The Confederate Powder Works
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#38]
ITS ELECTION YEAR - we need a good old fashion gun and ammo panick
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#39]
We need to find a gunpowder replacement made from fentanyl precursors.  China certainly hasn't slowed the shipments of that.  Asshoes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#42]
what we don't have cellulose and acid in America?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
We need to find a gunpowder replacement made from fentanyl precursors.  China certainly hasn't slowed the shipments of that.  Asshoes.
View Quote

There is a significant number of closed paper mills in Wi these days.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#44]
India produces almost as much cotton as China, and Brazil is the #3 producer in the world followed by the US.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:11:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#45]

That's racist
View All Quotes

That's racist

Picking cotton on a racist fieldtrip

If we ever get into a conflict with China, the US is going to be a mess domestically. You will have people protesting the war (draft, if one), people protesting because there are shortages of a huge number of things, and people protesting because companies want holds/exemptions on environmental regulations so they can actually make things in the US. Did I miss any groups?

Also... Fuck Vista.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Bunch of hogwash
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Golden-Arm:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Golden-Arm:
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

Will you settle for fuming nitric acid and an instruction sheet?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#48]
So what you're telling me is that those boxes and boxes of old 100% cotton T shirts and jeans in my basement are now worth a fortune!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TexanInOhio4:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

View Quote

Yep. We certainly turned out tons of it during WW2 and we weren’t getting any cotton from China
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
"To make powder, you need a specific kind of cotton, which mostly comes from China," he said.

Nitrocellulose, also known as guncotton, is a key ingredient in gunpowder manufacture.

"Would you know it, deliveries of this cotton from China stopped as if by chance a few months ago," Breton added.

China and Russia have in recent years ramped up economic cooperation and diplomatic contacts, and their strategic partnership has grown closer since the invasion of Ukraine.

In Russia this week, China's Vice Foreign Minister Sun Weidong declared relations "are at their best period in history".

Breton said that "Nordic countries have found a substitute for the Chinese cotton... innovation is at work, precisely to meet the need for powder, because... we have problems today with powder capacity".

Companies producing the substitute ingredients for powder would be among those selected for grants under the EU's Act In Support of Ammunition Production (ASAP) to be announced next week, Breton said.

https://www.barrons.com/news/europe-battles-powder-shortage-to-supply-shells-for-ukraine-0173c7d0
View Quote

Huh, I remember a few GD posters saying Russia was turning into China's bitch last year over their oil sales to china. I wonder if the chinese stopped their importation of said cotton into Russia?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top