Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2017 10:24:14 PM EDT
For the past few years, every time I rent a car at the Kansas City airport Budget, i get a scat pack challenger or charger.  I have even rented the 6-spd manual transmission.

Just learned that Wichita and Omaha budgets have them too ( as do atlanta, nashville, vegas, and salt lake city, by report).

Booyah!

ETA - last time

Eta2 time before

Eta3 - the first time i posted about renting a manual scatpack challenger, there were a lot of incredulous posts

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome.

I really don't understand why rental companies would want to do that.

But it's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
better be double clutching like you should
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they keep track of how much tread is on the rear tires
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
All of the chargers so far have been auto 8spd but the challengers have a good mix of manual and auto.

Hertz offers the 5.7l hemi in their “adrenaline” collection (lol) but they cost 2x what budget charges for a car with 110 more horsepower. 485hp is no joke, these are seriously the most fun to drive cars i have ever rented.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of the chargers so far have been auto 8spd but the challengers have a good mix of manual and auto.

Hertz offers the 5.7l hemi in their “adrenaline” collection (lol) but they cost 2x what budget charges for a car with 110 more horsepower. 485hp is no joke, these are seriously the most fun to drive cars i have ever rented.
View Quote
There is no such thing as a manual charger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Shitpacker seems like an odd name for a performance sportscar.

Must be a German thing.

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks. Well mystery solved at least. The manual challengers are almost always available since the youngsters dont drive stick.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
What does something like that cost to rent per day?

Do you buy the insurance?
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What does something like that cost to rent per day?

Do you buy the insurance?
View Quote
I never buy insurance because my personal auto and credit card both provide good rental coverage.

These are just regular cars at budget, they will rent for whatever you can talk the lady at the counter in to. I have gotten 8 days for $350 before.

Eta:
https://www.budget.com/en/cars/vehicles/us/xb

The wichita airport budget doesnt list the challenger charger mustang gt or camaro ss as options, but they have them. I was expecting to roll a ford fusion or something this christmas, but santa came through.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's awesome.

But it's awesome.
View Quote
Perks, just to keep the customer's addicted.

Similar thing as airlines, some people get miles/points, some people get upgrades.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
National has the base hemi which is a fun car for a rental.  With corporate rate it's $4 dollars more than a camry a day.   I spend the $4...  I have gotten kinda partial to the challenger for a fun sports car, sure it's not a camaro or mustang but I like it..
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Similar thing as airlines, some people get miles/points, some people get upgrades.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's awesome.

But it's awesome.

Yeah, well, it worked on me, i have rented them about six times and sent some business their way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
National has the base hemi which is a fun car for a rental.  With corporate rate it's $4 dollars more than a camry a day.   I spend the $4...  I have gotten kinda partial to the challenger for a fun sports car, sure it's not a camaro or mustang but I like it..
View Quote
I actually like the challenger, then mustang, then camaro, even though i was raised chevy.

The scat pack manual is the most fun, 4th gear scratch
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool.

I've got a Challenger Hellcat and a Durango R/T and I love them. Tried to talk my wife into the Charger Daytona when she got a new car but she wanted the 300S with Hemi.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I actually like the challenger, then mustang, then camaro, even though i was raised chevy.

The scat pack manual is the most fun, 4th gear scratch
View Quote
Nothing like the kharmic joy of scoring a good rental car with 300 miles on the clock.  I haven't found an SS camaro but the 6 is decent.  I can tell it would be plenty of fun with the real engine.  300 is also surprisingly decent, that's my goto for hauling people around on an account if a suburban isn't called for.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Mopar or NO car!

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
A coworker got one as a rental while his car was in the shop. Amusingly it was on a day of one of the heavier snow storms we got last year. Talk about being a tease.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, how are you finding them? Are you able to reserve in advance or are you just luckily into them when you show up?

I can see Chargers and Mustangs at a location near me, but it doesn't mention V8.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, how are you finding them? Are you able to reserve in advance or are you just luckily into them when you show up?

I can see Chargers and Mustangs at a location near me, but it doesn't mention V8.
View Quote
I happened to luck out at an Avis location: went to rent a car for a 4 day weekend, they had a R/T Challenger (auto :/) sitting in the lot.

That's it so far over about 6 rentals.

I'm taking a trip next year for 2 weeks, and trying to find one of those to reserve online close enough to where I want to go is... difficult.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#20]
The budgets refer to them as R/T online and in print, but they are all scat pack 6.4l.

I have never had trouble getting one in KC and SLC, they have 15 or 20. Wichita only has a few and not mentioned online.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Advice... PAY EXTRA FOR THE INSURANCE!  
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Advice... PAY EXTRA FOR THE INSURANCE!  
View Quote
Any good story here?
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cool.

I've got a Challenger Hellcat and a Durango R/T and I love them. Tried to talk my wife into the Charger Daytona when she got a new car but she wanted the 300S with Hemi.
View Quote
What year Hellcat?
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:01:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
These are just regular cars at budget, they will rent for whatever you can talk the lady at the counter in to. I have gotten 8 days for $350 before.
View Quote
45 bucks a day?

Oh, Lordy - That sounds like one hell of an entertaining week!
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Wichita = Flat land and lots of straight roads.
Good place to score that for a rental.

I worked out of the Airbase for a while, a lot of history there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wichita = Flat land and lots of straight roads.
Good place to score that for a rental.

I worked out of the Airbase for a while, a lot of history there.
View Quote
Yeah, i have rented in kc (and now wichita) and driven across the state a few times. The cold pavement has less traction but nice and flat with no trees and few other cars. You can drive for 15 miles on a us highway and see less than 20 cars during daytime here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, fun while it lasted.....

Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd bet that's a nervous nelly on ice. (Off to google driveline controls for that package)ETA I learned the wipers and brakes interact.
I can remember standing on McConnell's flight line in the winter,  the cold wind never stopped blowing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd bet that's a nervous nelly on ice. (Off to google driveline controls for that package)ETA I learned the wipers and brakes interact.
I can remember standing on McConnell's flight line in the winter,  the cold wind never stopped blowing.
View Quote
I got 15 degrees sideways at 4mph.

I think the traction control is working but I might as well forget about laying down any horsepower on black ice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top