Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/4/2020 12:50:20 PM EDT
Updated version of the WildFire has been released on keybase.

Still waiting on the SA version, then I'll probably print this instead of the WildFire.  This one looks to be adjustable for tension on the buffer tube section, and leaves full access to the rear takedown pin.

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
SA version is up on keybase
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
When I first saw how Potato was going to deal the buffer tower flex in this design I was .  I mean I see how it works but it's certainly only a face a mother could love.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I first saw how Potato was going to deal the buffer tower flex in this design I was .  I mean I see how it works but it's certainly only a face a mother could love.
View Quote

same, i'm curious about how well it works...
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does SA version mean?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd have to run a slickside upper and have it be symmetrical.

Damn OCD

Quoted:

semi auto
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
ok, I'll crawl back under my rock now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

As already answered, Semi Auto.

Make sure you get the latest version.  The first SA version had locator holes for the autosear.  That's a no-no.
Latest version has no sear holes or markers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'd have to run a slickside upper and have it be symmetrical.

Damn OCD
View Quote

If it works... ¯\_(?)_/¯
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
What a time to be alive.

3 lowers from 1 roll of filament
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Wonder why they didn’t use the U bolt rather than the goofy side thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd assume modularity.  One section breaks, print out another and throw it in.  Rather than printing a whole new lower.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Interesting concept. It looks weird but it looks like it would work. I love seeing how this stuff evolves and is refined.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd assume modularity.  One section breaks, print out another and throw it in.  Rather than printing a whole new lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. Guessing the screw tensioner takes a good amount of abuse then.

Looks better than the previous version that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The whole point of the Anderson designs:

- entirely 3d printable using PLA
- uses stock FCG
- minimal use of supports
- replaceable parts for stress areas

I did a Wildfire, and thought it was fine. Rear flex was noticable but didn't matter when the thing was shouldered.

I also think the design would work better with a fiber-reinforced material, but that's probably true for any of this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
It's nice that everything is 3d printable but unless there's a specific reason for it, they should design the fasteners and threads to be replaceable with actual hardware.  It should also allow assembly with regular tools instead of a 3d printed assembly tool.  This design's socket screws don't seem to match up with real allen wrenches.  Every one I tried had too much slop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I may have to give this one a try. the other one lives full time on the dedicated .22.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I may have to give this one a try. the other one lives full time on the dedicated .22.
View Quote

Same here on the dedicated .22.  The Wildfire had a little too much flex in the buffer tower area.  This one seems to hold up much better.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did a search for keybase and I couldn't find it.  Something about a chat app?

More info please.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I did a search for keybase and I couldn't find it.  Something about a chat app?

More info please.
View Quote

Keybase has a chat/file-sharing/crypto wallet program.  https://keybase.io/download

There are user made "teams" within the app.  Search for "det_disp" and "det_disp.beta" for the teams that users post these to.

The Hellfire (and other variants) are designed by user "potatosociety" and are posted in his public file folder.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally got mine printed and mostly assembled... discovered I don't have any spare castle nuts

Also, not sure what happened to cause that distinct layer line by the hammer pin... doesn't seem to be a weak layer, but I'll see when I shoot it

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Finally got mine printed and mostly assembled... discovered I don't have any spare castle nuts

Also, not sure what happened to cause that distinct layer line by the hammer pin... doesn't seem to be a weak layer, but I'll see when I shoot it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376127/Hellfire_Assembled-1634747.jpg
View Quote

Print one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Print one.
View Quote

Oh, duh...

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Print one.
View Quote

Now just need to finish assembling the rear sight (thanks @Overkill777) and then shoot it!

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
very nice!
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Keybase has a chat/file-sharing/crypto wallet program.  https://keybase.io/download

There are user made "teams" within the app.  Search for "det_disp" and "det_disp.beta" for the teams that users post these to.

The Hellfire (and other variants) are designed by user "potatosociety" and are posted in his public file folder.
View Quote

Without this No WAY would I have found it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#29]
my printer went BRRRRRRRRRR!

did the Hell Fire and Wild Fire, for not knowing what the hell I'm doing I think they turned out pretty nice, had a small learning curve, a little filing/sanding here and there but not much, am pretty impressed with the CR 10 V3,

are there any files out there for barrels BGG LPK/FCG I'd like to make functioning non firing mock up's I got 5 young grandsons and these would be great for them to get familiar with at their age
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

did the Hell Fire and Wild Fire, for not knowing what the hell I'm doing I think they turned out pretty nice, had a small learning curve, a little filing/sanding here and there but not much, am pretty impressed with the CR 10 V3,

https://i.imgur.com/elzRpDll.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HIrH0jRl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RyUQdSZl.jpg

are there any files out there for barrels BGG LPK/FCG I'd like to make functioning non firing mock up's I got 5 young grandsons and these would be great for them to get familiar with at their age
View Quote

@mdw how many hours did it take to print on your v3?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell yeah!!  

Looks better than some of the first prints I made.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt really keep accurate track of time
the Hellfire was approx 26hrs on 100% infill 50% speed

the wild fire was about 18, but I had no clue about infill settings and the infill was I think 60% what ever the default settings in cura for standard print is this one was my  learning curve print

@MajorPayne
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#33]
A new version of the Hellfire was released today at the usual places.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  Next in the queue for my printer!
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Figured I'd give it a shot.  Hatchbox gray PLA.  I have PLA+ but it's pink, figure if this gray one turns out fine I'll switch to pink, re-calibrate, and have a pink one in PLA+.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By @billth777:

pics?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @billth777:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics?

On the printer now!

Not sure what color I should do the core... blue maybe?
Probably will do the large side bolt in red.

Link Posted: 11/11/2020 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#38]
6hrs and 45mins in to the print.

Attachment Attached File

It's a pain in the ass taking pics with this phone and all the lighting I have in my enclosure.

ETA:  0.4 nozzle, 0.2 layer height, 50mm/s speed, 6 wall line count, and 195c/60c which seems to work best for hatchbox pla on this printer.  Halfway in to the first layer I had to dial back my flow rate a couple percent, pretty sure I forgot to calibrate e-steps on this last filament change so it was over-extruding just a bit with the gray.

I kind of want to run it a bit slower and at 0.12-0.16 layer height for better detail on the next one.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Almost doubles the print time, but I say give it a shot!
View Quote

Yup, I'm probably going to print the core at 0.12mm for those sweet details!
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yup, I'm probably going to print the core at 0.12mm for those sweet details!
View Quote

here we go....!  I'll see how it turns out in 23 hours!

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

here we go....!  I'll see how it turns out in 23 hours!

https://i.imgur.com/MXJniO2.jpg
View Quote

21h20m later, we have this.  I think I'll reprint the buffer tower and the pivot pin plates in white (and the strut nut) once I get the filament (saturday hopefully).

The Grip Bolt Support failed overnight, but was starting to fix itself, so I let it ride while I went to work

Seems to have worked!
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like you had a pretty significant layer issue about 1/2" in to the print on the receiver body.  Since it's so consistent and only appeared at that height, might have a z-axis issue around when the nozzle is that far from the bed.  You can test this by putting the nozzle around that height, then manually turn the thread z-rod back and forth to see if it's hanging up at all.  Could be debris on the z-rod, or your brass z-rod nut on the oem extruder plate needs adjusted or loosened.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Took 20 hours I think.  The only issues were some minor boogering and fine stringing.  Flicked the plastic boogers off with my pocket knife and after pulling away most of the strings I hit it with the heat gun to clean up the rest.  ETA:  Careful with the heatgun.  The wall behind where the star coin goes on the other side of the magwell isn't as thick as the other walls and it tried to warp from the heat.  Luckily I caught that and stopped heating that area.

Attachment Attached File

Hatchbox PLA, 195/60c, 50mm/s, and all the recommended settings from the Hellfire PDF.  Letters aren't as clean as I'd like, but I think dropping below 0.2 layer height and/or going a bit slower might up the quality a bit.  I'll try that on the next one which will be eSun pink PLA+.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looks like you had a pretty significant layer issue about 1/2" in to the print on the receiver body.  Since it's so consistent and only appeared at that height, might have a z-axis issue around when the nozzle is that far from the bed.  You can test this by putting the nozzle around that height, then manually turn the thread z-rod back and forth to see if it's hanging up at all.  Could be debris on the z-rod, or your brass z-rod nut on the oem extruder plate needs adjusted or loosened.
View Quote

Yea, I'm going to dive into that over the weekend and try to figure that out.  It's not been in my prior prints except for the first print of the Hellfire, and its a shift in the X for a few layers, then shift back to pretty much spot on.  You can see the shift on both the Core and the parts in black...

My initial diagnostics on the Z screw didn't show anything stemming from there.  I'll probably start by printing a smaller item and watch closely around that height.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Took 20 hours I think.  The only issues were some minor boogering and fine stringing.  Flicked the plastic boogers off with my pocket knife and after pulling away most of the strings I hit it with the heat gun to clean up the rest.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148395/Hellfire_004_jpg-1681967.JPG

Hatchbox PLA, 195/60c, 50mm/s, and all the recommended settings from the Hellfire PDF.  Letters aren't as clean as I'd like, but I think dropping below 0.2 layer height and/or going a bit slower might up the quality a bit.  I'll try that on the next one which will be eSun pink PLA+.
View Quote

Your lettering looks quite a lot better than mine, which I did at 0.12 layer height.  I'm honestly not sure if it is worth dropping from 0.2, as compared to my first iteration, I'm not seeing significant improvement.  There is some, but not sure if it's worth the increased time.

You can see the same shift in the grey lower also, but I just noticed it's at a different height... hmmm.

Edit: Blue is 0.12mm on the core, Grey is 0.2mm layers.

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm only a few months in to 3d printing so definitely not a pro, but it looks like that layer shifted on the y-axis assuming you didn't rotate it from default in your slicer and the receiver sat left to right on the bed.

On that gray lower, look to the left or right from the middle of the mag release button, your x-axis shifted too but didn't correct itself like the other layer.  That didn't happen on the blue lower from what I can see.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm only a few months in to 3d printing so definitely not a pro, but it looks like that layer shifted on the y-axis assuming you didn't rotate it from default in your slicer and the receiver sat left to right on the bed.

On that gray lower, look to the left or right from the middle of the mag release button, your x-axis shifted too but didn't correct itself like the other layer.  That didn't happen on the blue lower from what I can see.
View Quote

I rotated both the grey and blue 90* CCW looking from the top (magwell towards Y=0).

Looking at the picture, I saw that also.  Not really noticeable by eye on the lower, though.  I do need to figure that shift out and correct it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I rotated both the grey and blue 90* CCW looking from the top (magwell towards Y=0).

Looking at the picture, I saw that also.  Not really noticeable by eye on the lower, though.  I do need to figure that shift out and correct it.
View Quote
Probably fighting belts and/or v-rollers on x and y.  Might be time to tighten the belts, wipe down the wheels, and adjust those eccentric nuts.

"Hey, 3d printing looks like a fun hobby!" = everyone before they buy and own one for any amount of time.  It sometimes feels like having a second job that doesn't pay.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Probably fighting belts and/or v-rollers on x and y.  Might be time to tighten the belts, wipe down the wheels, and adjust those eccentric nuts.

"Hey, 3d printing looks like a fun hobby!" = everyone before they buy and own one for any amount of time.  It sometimes feels like having a second job that doesn't pay.  
View Quote

Haha, yup!

But, I have sold some prints for $$$
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top