User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/17/2018 8:57:26 AM EDT
Link

Analysts suggest Bitcoin could gravitate toward $1,500 level

The digital token’s lost more than 60% of its value this year

Bitcoin’s no longer boring.

After months of tranquility that became the envy of equity investors, The biggest cryptocurrency roared back into the public consciousness this week with the biggest sell-off since August, another fork and a cameo in a major semiconductor earnings report. Some digital asset industry pundits have already begun referring to it as the crypto winter.

Bloomberg Intelligence says the drama’s just starting. Analysts predict the price could fall to $1,500, which would indicate another drop of more than 70 percent from current levels. The digital token tumbled 12 percent on Wednesday alone to its lowest level in over a year, and has lost more than 60 percent of its value so far this year. Many of Bitcoin’s closest peers, including XRP, the cryptocurrency also known as Ripple, fell in tandem.

"I didn’t sleep well last night," Travis Kling, founder of the hedge fund Ikigai, said on Thursday as he tracked the Bitcoin Cash split. “There’s a small chance that, it’s difficult to estimate, that something really bad could happen related to Bitcoin Cash that could then impact the entire crypto market."

Some investors believe that two versions of Bitcoin Cash, which had broken off the original Bitcoin in 2017, could be sucking investment and miners away from the largest cryptocurrency.

That rang true to Mike McGlone, the Bloomberg Intelligence analyst who warned that the slide could get much worse.

The slump “was sparked by the pump for the Bitcoin Cash hard fork," said McGlone. "That pump that began a few weeks ago, got the market a bit too offsides with speculative longs playing for the good-old days. But this is an enduring bear market."

The bad news didn’t stop there. Chipmakers were also hammered today as Nvidia Corp. issued weak sales forecasts for the current quarter, saying that it saw lingering loss of demand from the collapse of cryptocurrency mining. The mining of digital tokens, computer code that carries value in online transactions, had helped stoke demand for the company’s graphics chips. Shortages related to a spike in demand from miners led to an oversupply of parts when the crypto market crashed.

“The drop in the stock price of Nvidia is reflective of a future where cryptocurrency fueled demand has cratered,” said Peter Mallouk, president and co-chief investment officer of Creative Planning, in an email. “While this is, of course, bad news for Nvidia, it is really the canary in the coal mine for Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.”

Nelson Saiers, a former hedge fund manager turned artist, is hoping the renewed focus will help raise the profile of his work -- he’s installing inflatable Bitcoin rats in London and Washington to showcase the token’s influence on society.

“They exist without permission. They are hated, hunted and persecuted," he said about rats, which serve as a proxy for Bitcoin in his art. "And yet they are capable of bringing entire civilizations to their knees.”

Or maybe just those who bet big on cryptocurrencies.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't wait for the economic bomb, as far as cryptocurrency goes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Lol
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I still remember when whole BTCs were being given away for free on faucets and thinking it was all a scam. Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Is ANYONE surprised?

Seriously, it's as close to a Ponzi scheme as one can get without it actually being a Ponzi scheme.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Something like 90% of US Dollars are digital and unlike bitcoin, banks can create new dollars with the click of a mouse thanks to our fractional-reserves DEBT based banking system.

Bitcoin does have a fatal flaw however, it can not handle huge transaction volumes, which lead to processing delays and huge transaction fees as we saw during the explosion

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

Seriously, it's as close to a Ponzi scheme as one can get without it actually being a Ponzi scheme.
View Quote
Here's a Ponzi scheme for you:

Fractional Reserve Banking Explained in One Minute
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
When should I buy?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something like 90% of US Dollars are digital and unlike bitcoin, banks can create new dollars with the click of a mouse thanks to our fractional-reserves DEBT based banking system.

Bitcoin does have a fatal flaw however, it can not handle huge transaction volumes, which lead to processing delays and huge transaction fees as we saw during the explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-09ap6zIB6I
View Quote
XRP for the win
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

Not disagreeing, however, Bitcoin has no govt backing and is at the mercy of what the market thinks it is worth. That isn't currency as much as it's a form of stock you trade.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not disagreeing, however, Bitcoin has no govt backing and is at the mercy of what the market thinks it is worth. That isn't currency as much as it's a form of stock you trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

Virtual stock at that.

It doesn't actually exist and has no physical manifestation of it's value, unlike stocks based on a real company with real assets.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

Just like the Dollar and Gold.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Virtual stock at that.

It doesn't actually exist and has no physical manifestation of it's value, unlike stocks based on a real company with real assets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

Virtual stock at that.

Like Facebook and Twitter ?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

Virtual stock at that.

Yeah exactly....hate them all you like, but they own buildings and a vast array of tangible assets in a real world environment, and generate tangible business with real money value and real saleability.  Zuckerburg is purported to be worth $64.1 Billion.......that's dollars, not bitcoin....and that's for a reason.

Meanwhile in la-la land:  https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/908444/Bitcoin-cryptocurrency-Mark-Zuckerberg-Winklevoss-twins-cybercurrency-news-latest-ethereum

Bitcoin is nothing more than virtual trinkets for the terminally gullible.  It is unstable and hugely susceptible to small influences that a viable and backed currency would ride without issue.

I'm sure at some point we will have backed "virtual currencies" with some stability and longevity, but pulling a virtual idea out of your ass and call it "Bitcoin" without any backing isn't it.

I do admire the way that these people have managed to get fools to part with their cash so willingly.  I guess there is always going to be chancers and the gullible people who allow themselves to be milked.

If that is your thing and you enjoy the virtual markets, then hey, good luck to you.....but trying to purport that bitcoin is "currency" at this stage is laughable.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

This is the detail which Bitcoin “investors” failed to recognise.  The world banks have had a monopoly for hundreds of years.   They shaped our modern world.   It’s not as if they’re just gonna say, “OK, welp, you got me...made a better mousetrap.  I’ll be on my way, Cheerio old chap, toodleloo, it was fun while it lasted”
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#15]
No shit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Wish I didn't hodl.

My entire stash is worth about $35 now. Was $7k at one point.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm glad I got out of crypto late last year.

Watching YouTubers manipulate coins for shits and giggles was the sign for me to bail.

Losing $30 when one of the exchanges turned out to be a scam was another obvious sign.  Some people lost a shitload of money to crypto crooks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Sooner this crashes is the sooner I can pick a decent video card second hand.

Seriously though, like it or not, crypto currency is the future.  Maybe not this particular one, but one of them eventually will take over as the defacto currency standard in global finance.  That will mean no more need for the petro-dallar, and that's bad news for us.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#19]
It’s still worth way too much. It’s not yet time to buy (pennies on the dollar).

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Virtual stock at that.

View Quote
Like Blockbuster, Toys R US, Sears, Compaq Computers, Montgomery Wards, Circuit City, Radio Shack, GM, KMart, Polaroid.

Their shareholders got nothing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Crypto is going to be the pet rock of the 201Xs.

I hodled right into the dirt.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm still mostly HODLing what I have left, but along the way I've gotten more out of crypto than I put in so it could go to 0 and I'd still come out ahead.

That being said these days I've been using it more to donate to folks on youtube and other places.

If you want to spend 50 cents worth of BCH to feed some chickens on twitch you can do so here.

https://www.twitch.tv/redpepper261
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Like Blockbuster, Toys R US, Sears, Compaq Computers, Montgomery Wards, Circuit City, Radio Shack, GM, KMart, Polaroid.

View Quote
Don't forget GM stock..............
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Virtual stock at that.

Companies fold - it happens for sure.  However many don't and the stock market is generally money spinner for those with a decent portfolio of options.

When companies they do go wrong there are usually some pretty decent warning signs.  It usually takes something quite visible to destabilise their share prices and they can get tangible and credible backing to bring them back into recovery.

With Bitcoin, it's up and down like a whore's knickers if a sparrow farts in Brazil, and there is no backing for it apart from hype and gullibility.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wish I didn't hodl.

View Quote
How is that even possible?  Bitcoin has lost 75% of it's value from the very peak, not 99.5%.

Also, I told you so.  I tried to tell you all a year ago but few wanted to hear it.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here's my next prediction, and you can take this one to the bank too.  There will be another crypto bubble.  It may be a couple years out but there will be another one, and then another one, and then another one until an act of government cuts of the flow of money into crypto markets.

Cryptocurrency is borderline useless so far but that doesn't change the fact that it's the greatest bubble making device ever conceived in the history of mankind.  It's a work of art really.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Why would goldman sachs launch its own form of crypto in the form of a stable coin tethered to the dollar?

Why did fidelity anounce the launch of a crypto trading desk?

Why are executives leaving their firms for crypto currency startups?

Cryptocurrency is going to reduce costs and increase business to busines and business to buyer accountability. You will have a complete record of a product from cow, butcher, packager, retailer, to your table. You will have a complete record of the storage temperature as it made its way along the route. You will know because its all been recorded.

Tamper proof IOT sensors will write the data to the chain and if their is a breakdown it will be traced back to the point of failure. The scarcity or "money like" properties of the network tokens are a means of transmittance of value on the network and proof of your stake in the network.

Because your data is tracked publicly (though cryptographically secured) any attempt at tampering can be traced back to the source. Because the data is secured by multiple network nodes who are all here because of their own reasons, its simply not possible to accuse the database owner of skewing data since their is no owner.

Its a public table where each seat costs 20k and a small portion of money trades hands each time data is written to the ledger. The money( or token value) keeps the actors from malicious acts as they can easily be tracked and purged from the table... Losing their 20k.

Public blockchain and the associated technology stemming from bitcoin is not going anywhere.

The question is how much are these public networks and their scarce digital asset worth to the business world? How much "money" will flow through these networks as they add:

Decentralized applications
Smart auto executing business contracts
On chain writing of product origin and QC
Consumer games and dapps
Tokenized physical property
Millions of IOT sensors burning tokens as they write on chain
Etc. Etc.

So... As technology marches onward... I am betting that crypto will grow again and those who werent in this space now during the culling might be kicking themselves in the future.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I think it will race down to $100.  Which is a shame, since its intrinsic value is $0.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I want this to come back.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sooner this crashes is the sooner I can pick a decent video card second hand.

Seriously though, like it or not, crypto currency is the future.  Maybe not this particular one, but one of them eventually will take over as the defacto currency standard in global finance.  That will mean no more need for the petro-dallar, and that's bad news for us.
View Quote
That was my first thought, too. Crypto $ = overly spendy GPUs, in my mind. It's been frustrating.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent! For two reasons.

I can maybe affords a graphics card now

And I can buy more bitcoin for the next run-up
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How is that even possible?  Bitcoin has lost 75% of it's value from the very peak, not 99.5%.

Also, I told you so.  I tried to tell you all a year ago but few wanted to hear it.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture1_JPG-741804.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/178958/Capture_JPG-741805.JPG

Here's my next prediction, and you can take this one to the bank too.  There will be another crypto bubble.  It may be a couple years out but there will be another one, and then another one, and then another one until an act of government cuts of the flow of money into crypto markets.

Cryptocurrency is borderline useless so far but that doesn't change the fact that it's the greatest bubble making device ever conceived in the history of mankind.  It's a work of art really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish I didn't hodl.

Isn't the Gov going after certain cryptocurrency?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish I didn't hodl.

I had 35k XVG.

Do the math.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish I didn't hodl.

I'm not up to speed on any specific actions.  I know they've been after certain nefarious actors in cryptocurrency on a regular basis since 2013 but I don't know about them going after a particular cryptocurrency in and of itself.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had 35k XVG.

Do the math.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish I didn't hodl.

I had 35k XVG.

Do the math.
I guess I misunderstood.  I thought you were talking about Bitcoin.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I am so happy I got out at $17k. Kills me to know I sold a ton back at ~$1,200 thinking that was a great return at the time lol but I bought in at ~$300 so ehhh I still made plenty.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Data is an asset, and it's worth billions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is ANYONE surprised?

false.

If I buy something with my credit card for $20 and then return it for a refund to the same CC, I have zero dollars

-20  plus + 20 = 0

Note this is true even if I get a cash refund, because I have to pay the credit card bill eventually.

Borrower walks out with $900 AND with an I.O.U for $900.  So zero is created.  Now because not all people honor the I.O.U.  The customer actually walks out with an I.O.U. for $901 dollars, this extra bit is to cover the rare case of the guy who fails to pay.

This is no different from when Cave Man Grogg says to Cave Man Kurr.  "Help me dig this pit trap today, and I will pay you 1 chunk of meat in a week"
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah exactly....hate them all you like, but they own buildings and a vast array of tangible assets in a real world environment, and generate tangible business with real money value and real saleability.  Zuckerburg is purported to be worth $64.1 Billion.......that's dollars, not bitcoin....and that's for a reason.

Meanwhile in la-la land:  https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/908444/Bitcoin-cryptocurrency-Mark-Zuckerberg-Winklevoss-twins-cybercurrency-news-latest-ethereum

Bitcoin is nothing more than virtual trinkets for the terminally gullible.  It is unstable and hugely susceptible to small influences that a viable and backed currency would ride without issue.

I'm sure at some point we will have backed "virtual currencies" with some stability and longevity, but pulling a virtual idea out of your ass and call it "Bitcoin" without any backing isn't it.

I do admire the way that these people have managed to get fools to part with their cash so willingly.  I guess there is always going to be chancers and the gullible people who allow themselves to be milked.

If that is your thing and you enjoy the virtual markets, then hey, good luck to you.....but trying to purport that bitcoin is "currency" at this stage is laughable.
View Quote
Great post.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Big money has been moving into crypto. That tells me it will go back up at some point. What happens between now and then is anyone's guess.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I NEVER will..trust me
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#41]
All currencies are an arbitrary system to allow multi-party barter (A and B don't want to exchange goods directly as neither has what the other wants, but if you chain together enough peoples wants and haves, you can get to a point where A can get B's goods and B can get something it wants by trading off A's gods)  as well as delayed payback  (Help me plant my field today and I will pay you some harvest)

Some entity steps in and 'enforces' the currency in some fashion (I, the Ruler, say that you should plant for Farmer A and accept this wooden token good for 1 bag of grain.  If he doesn't honor this token come to me and I and my army will go and forcibly take it, give it to you, and put him in chains)

The bits that get passed around have very little or no real value.  Yes, even the bits 'tied to gold'.  Gold's main value is that it was agreed upon by a lot of people as useful for currency.  It's actual use is as shiny baubles and small bits in electronics.

With most 'creations of money from nothing' if you look that's not actually the case.  Some would say a bank 'magically creates money from nothing' when it gives a loan.  The I.O.U balances out that loan, but world money supply is increasing all the time because people take materials, invest work, and end up with something more valuable.  Example, a wooded lot.  You chop down some trees and build a log cabin.  Through effort you have made more value.  Now if you go sell that woodlot plus cabin you get more money as it is more valuable.

Problem is, bitcoin is not tied to anything.  It's totally arbitrary and it is unbacked by anyone.  What's worse to get more you have this false system of using electricity and computer bits to win a lottery for a set number of bits.  The entire value of the currency is that people want it to sit on so it becomes more valuable, NOT because they will take it and give it to others for goods they really want.  At least gold which is also MOSTLY artificially valuable only because people want it, only a portion of it sits waiting for it to go up in value, large amounts of it are constantly traded for other goods and services.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Big money has been moving into crypto. That tells me it will go back up at some point. What happens between now and then is anyone's guess.
View Quote
I view cryopto like paper money.  It is the 'coming thing'.  However bitcoin and others are like early 'money' printed out by the local grocery store or mine, not inherently valuable long term or widespread.

Governments are going to see what cryptos do right and then get involved, just like they did with paper money.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why would goldman sachs launch its own form of crypto in the form of a stable coin tethered to the dollar?

Why did fidelity anounce the launch of a crypto trading desk?

Why are executives leaving their firms for crypto currency startups?

Cryptocurrency is going to reduce costs and increase business to busines and business to buyer accountability. You will have a complete record of a product from cow, butcher, packager, retailer, to your table. You will have a complete record of the storage temperature as it made its way along the route. You will know because its all been recorded.

Tamper proof IOT sensors will write the data to the chain and if their is a breakdown it will be traced back to the point of failure. The scarcity or "money like" properties of the network tokens are a means of transmittance of value on the network and proof of your stake in the network.

Because your data is tracked publicly (though cryptographically secured) any attempt at tampering can be traced back to the source. Because the data is secured by multiple network nodes who are all here because of their own reasons, its simply not possible to accuse the database owner of skewing data since their is no owner.

Its a public table where each seat costs 20k and a small portion of money trades hands each time data is written to the ledger. The money( or token value) keeps the actors from malicious acts as they can easily be tracked and purged from the table... Losing their 20k.

Public blockchain and the associated technology stemming from bitcoin is not going anywhere.

The question is how much are these public networks and their scarce digital asset worth to the business world? How much "money" will flow through these networks as they add:

Decentralized applications
Smart auto executing business contracts
On chain writing of product origin and QC
Consumer games and dapps
Tokenized physical property
Millions of IOT sensors burning tokens as they write on chain
Etc. Etc.

So... As technology marches onward... I am betting that crypto will grow again and those who werent in this space now during the culling might be kicking themselves in the future.
View Quote
I couldn't possibly agree any more with this post.

I think Chainlink is going to be the big winner in cryptospace in the relatively near future.

Decentralized blockchain agnostic oracles ftw!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many others. These are just a few examples.

And to some of the others that have made comments regarding good, solid, companies, yes there are and there are many. But they are hideously overpriced. A PE ratio of more than 3 is not rationally defensible and yet the average PE ratio for S&P 500 stocks is around 20.

The reason of course is that demand exceeds supply. There is billions of dollars of compulsory purchasing every week. 401k's, pension funds etc. are compelled to purchase financial instruments and they are limited to only certain classes of instruments. Demand > Supply.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Decentralized oracles powering smart contracts with a blockchain agnostic token will be the fourth industrial revolution.

Check out Chainlink and see who they're partnered with, what their mission is, and what tech/banking giants they are associated with.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#47]
of course its doing shitty, most economy's are going gang busters right now. and bitcoin was the anti money. its a place to put your funds when the currency is not working out.. Right now its all MAGA, but I have a feeling that after 2020 when the dems take control again, it going to the moon again!

So this boi is buying low when it dips again, then holding till after Hillary takes the White house and the economy tanks.. Ill be sitting pretty and ready for my departure out of the shithole that will be known as the USSA.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh; I bought in just enough at the right time to buy a CZ75 with the profits alone.

If bitcoin served only to get me a free gun, I can live with that
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
XRP for the win
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XRP for the win
That whole “click of the mouse button” thing....
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Meh; I bought in just enough at the right time to buy a CZ75 with the profits alone.

If bitcoin served only to get me a free gun, I can live with that
View Quote
It got my wife a 2018 Outback last December.. It was a Xmas to remember.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top