Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 7:11:35 PM EDT
I knew this guy in Kodiak when I lived there.

Shot down a German fighter with a Garand.

http://www.6tharmoreddivision.com/index.php?p=articles/john-r-morton-hard-hat
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Very few of those men exist anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What a life!

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW He was the youngest PERMANENT First Sergeant in WW2.

This meant if he was transferred to another unit he was transferred IN GRADE meaning he could only lose his stripes by a General courts-martial.

This means nothing today as everyone is transferred in grade but it was a big deal then. He earned those stripes as a young teenager because he came across 6 guys beating up a lieutenant for no good reason and stepped in and beat all six assailants senseless.

Some night I'll write up some of the stories he told me. He was a real character and learned to fly a cub in Europe and flew a number of observation missions.

In about 1984 he confessed to me that he still had nightmares from some sniper type duty. He got torn up bad near war's end and was sent home to recover.

Later he flew the bush in a cub and at Lily Lake years later an FAA guy met him and asked him how they managed to operate with 90 foot trees at either end. He asked John how they got over the trees.

He simply replied "We flew over them."

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Badass
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Most men never truly live , he did ????
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most men never truly live , he did ????
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
We need a few more men like him.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Garand power yo.

Surely running the tables @ Valhalla.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top