Posted: 7/18/2020 11:41:57 AM EDT
Boomer... I know.

Prove me wrong...
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I will do no such thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Theft did not exist in the good old days.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
OP nailed it.  Amen.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
OPNI
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are relics from when it illegal to conceal a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, and it was illegal to carry a loaded pistol openly or concealed.  You had to have the gun and ammo in separate places, locked.  You also had the duty to retreat back in those days.  

Fuck window gun racks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will do no such thing.
View Quote

No lie
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn’t go that far...
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
America was about 90% white in the days of the 'silent majority'. Of course, those whites' civic norms, presumption of good will and lack of kin preference paved the way for the 56% society.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep! The old days.

Here in Texas you did not mess with some ones pick up truck, the ( loaded) gun in the back of the seat (showing in the window) or a mans dog.
Note: Growing up we did not have a car, only a pick up truck, Mon and Dad in the cab and the 3 boys in the bed of the pick up truck with the dogs.
When it rained you just got wet.
Another note: It was called a "pick up" back then.
But those day are no longer here.

Have a nice day!

RON
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
meh, i still see em
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Still a thing here. I see at least one a month, maybe a bet more often during gun and Turkey season.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Youngsters today wouldn't believe driving into my high school parking lot during deer and duck season and seeing all of the pick up trucks with rifles and shotguns in them in rear window racks, back in the seventies.

I don't know why, but we never shot the school up back then.  And, I don't remember a single instance of one ever being stolen.   We are not the same people, or the same country, we were back then.

It's still that way in some places, though.  My brother does construction work in Alaska.  Most of their heavy equipment has gun racks with shotguns, that are kept unlocked when out in the boonies (you don't  have time to be trying to unlock a gun when a Grizzly is trying to get into the cab with you.)
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It did but nowhere near as today.
I can't tell you how many times in the early 1970's while heading out deer hunting that I left two rifles in my trucks  gun rack and stopped at night on Interstate 10 to eat supper in Schulenburg Texas or breakfast in Castroville. Never once had an issue.
Today I would not even leave a fake replica rifle in that way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Still see them usually weekly or so. Theft is high in this area, but I’m betting those guys don’t get screwed with.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
No disagreements from me
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Those days are long over and are never coming back, boomer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It existed but on a much,  much lower level than we have today.

I'm 62 (yep, a boomer)  and I never had a house key to the house I grew up in.  We only locked the doors at night, and not even then until everyone was home.   I never took the keys out of my car.   My brother's car was stolen in 1974 from the library (keys in it) and we were all shocked (it was found the next day, just run out of gas, keys still in it).

In that same  town, no one today would ever think of not locking their car at night, much  less leaving the keys in it anywhere, especially  not at a store.  And, doors in houses are always locked.

We are not the same country we were then.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those are relics from when it illegal to conceal a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle, and it was illegal to carry a loaded pistol openly or concealed.  You had to have the gun and ammo in separate places, locked.  You also had the duty to retreat back in those days.  

Fuck window gun racks.
View Quote
When was it illegal to conceal a rifle in Texas?

Maybe most trucks just didnt have a handy place to keep long guns accessible.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I had gun racks in my ranger in high school. My friends used to keep their guns in their gun racks in truck at school parking lot. I never did. Even though we had no crime I did not like leaving my guns in the open all day.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well too bad you missed them millennial.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]
High school 1988-91, lots country boys that drove had shotguns, 22 rifles, deer rifles in gun racks at school to hit the woods after class. No one gave a second thought. BUT....if you were caught Dippin or teacher saw a can of Copenhagen you went to the office.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Youngsters today wouldn't believe driving into my high school parking lot during deer and duck season and seeing all of the pick up trucks with rifles and shotguns in them in rear window racks, back in the seventies.

I don't know why, but we never shot the school up back then.  And, I don't remember a single instance of one ever being stolen.   We are not the same people, or the same country, we were back then.

It's still that way in some places, though.  My brother does construction work in Alaska.  Most of their heavy equipment has gun racks with shotguns, that are kept unlocked when out in the boonies (you don't  have time to be trying to unlock a gun when a Grizzly is trying to get into the cab with you.)
View Quote

When I was in high school in the mid-late 90’s, during dove season, a lot of us kept our shotguns in our trucks so we could go hunting after football practice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most trucks back then were single cab trucks with an 8 foot bed.
I ordered a new 1975 short bed Chevrolet truck that cost me a whole $4105 and had to listen to several people bemoaning the fact that it was a 6 foot bed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Single cab trucks were way more common back when I was a kid....not a lot of room for a gun when you had 3 people in the cab. I remember a few people have racks that hung on the back of the seat too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was in High School (81-84), it was a common sight to see rifles and shotguns in the rack of many of the trucks in the parking lot. Damn near everyone had a pocket knife of some sort and most were Buck 110's in the sheath. I tell this to my kids and they cannot grasp how such a thing was even possible. Folks settled disputes by fighting like normal kids, not by shooting and stabbing each other. Not 100% sure I can point to when society took a massive shit on itself....but it all went ass over teakettle at some point.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When I was in High School (81-84), it was a common sight to see rifles and shotguns in the rack of many of the trucks in the parking lot. Damn near everyone had a pocket knife of some sort and most were Buck 110's in the sheath. I tell this to my kids and they cannot grasp how such a thing was even possible. Folks settled disputes by fighting like normal kids, not by shooting and stabbing each other. Not 100% sure I can point to when society took a massive shit on itself....but it all went ass over teakettle at some point.
View Quote

I think a lot of school security went nuts when those two mouth breathers in Colorado killed a bunch of their fellow students.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
They don't?

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Use to see them all the time in MT.
Rare now.

Here in AK you use to see guns left in boats.
Now you do not dare leave anything in the boats.
Even out in the boonies stuff gets stolen out of boats.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#31]
It was better indeed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#32]
They still do..
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's got games ??
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep! The old days.

Here in Texas you did not mess with some ones pick up truck, the ( loaded) gun in the back of the seat (showing in the window) or a mans dog.
Note: Growing up we did not have a car, only a pick up truck, Mon and Dad in the cab and the 3 boys in the bed of the pick up truck with the dogs.
When it rained you just got wet.
Another note: It was called a "pick up" back then.
But those day are no longer here.

Have a nice day!

RON
View Quote

Amen.

The same growing up in rural Kentucky.  I still remember my dad's rifle rack in his 79 Ford F150.  

I also recall my high school days in rural South Carolina, with the rifle racks, with rifles, in the school parking lot during deer season.  If you didn't have a truck, then they were laid in the back seat of your car.  Last bell rings, and it's off to the woods.  

Damn, I miss those days!
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Imma agree with you OP
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
High school 1988-91, lots country boys that drove had shotguns, 22 rifles, deer rifles in gun racks at school to hit the woods after class. No one gave a second thought. BUT....if you were caught Dippin or teacher saw a can of Copenhagen you went to the office.
View Quote

Annnnnnnnd the principal was usually a football/baseball coach also and you would share a dip with him  and he would tell you not to GET CAUGHT doing it again.  NOT to stop doing it, just don't get caught.  lol  He would give you a few extra laps at practice just for fucking up his day job.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#37]
it's nice the barrel is pointing at his head
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#38]
And when we had mini pickup trucks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Trying to explain the way crime and things were back then to Millennials is like trying to explain what life was like without cell phones and the internet.

It's really hard to get them to understand how life worked back then.

I'm sure  they  think it was like the middle ages.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I will do no such thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
It did, but it was dealt with - fast and harsh.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Annnnnnnnd the principal was usually a football/baseball coach also and you would share a dip with him  and he would tell you not to GET CAUGHT doing it again.  NOT to stop doing it, just don't get caught.  lol  He would give you a few extra laps at practice just for fucking up his day job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck window gun racks.

Up until the early’90s I think.

Had nothing to do with handy and everything to do with democrat governors.  

You got got caught with a loaded long not in plain sight, or a loaded pistol anywhere in your vehicle or on your person and you went to jail.

Texas used to have no carry, no castle doctrine, had to dity to retreat.  

Those stupid gun racks have nothing to do with the’good’ ‘ol days.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I was able to have a gun in my high school car. 1970 Lincoln Mark V with a 460ci and red interior. Dead deer hanging out the fucking trunk in FL. No fucks given and no one said a thing. Way back circa 1990-1992.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I can remember the principal coming into our math class one morning asking if anyone had Rat Shot (low power .22 shotshells) in their truck?   The dampers had not closed on an exhaust fan and pigeons had gotten into the gym.  His only concern was that we not shoot anywhere near the lights.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#48]
pickups in MT still have gun racks, bruh.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pickup trucks with gun racks (and guns) in the high school parking lot...no problem.
View Quote

I used to hunt geese across the street from school at lunch time gun in truck ....no problem
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top